Author Topic: Flour properties or maturation to avoid heavy charring?  (Read 498 times)

Offline Henrik

• I Love Pizza!
Flour properties or maturation to avoid heavy charring?
« on: May 29, 2012, 10:56:59 AM »
Dear Experts!

I am experimenting with my 2stone and electrical oven, and need a clarification, please.

Here in Europe flour is different to the US brands, and it may be part of the mystery....however you often praise original Italian flour, and I have indeed also recognized the better performance of Italian pizza flour I buy here in Denmark.
It is relatively low in protein and easy to stretch, and free of any additives, and browns less readily than traditional flours.

The flour I use is from F. Divella, Grano Tenero Tipo "00" for pizza,
10.5% protein and
72% carbohydrate of which
2,8%  are sugars.

My question is how to avoid excessive charring of the base in contact with the baking stone?

I use either an electrical oven at about 330 deg. C (625 f) and my 2stone gas fired, which reach 450 deg C (840 f)

My dough is made with flour, salt,yeast and water, with or without a dash of olive oil. Hydration 60-65%
Usually in the electric oven, the base is OK, but in the 2stone, it chars far too much, if I do not use a pizza screen.

I trust that given the flour, the hydration plays a role, but perhaps more so the aging of the dough, to minimize the sugar content?

Speaking of hydration, I am of the opinion that higher hydration leads to better and desired oven spring and less charring, while handling may become so difficult that I can not get the pie off the peel, even if I have used generous amounts of semolina bench flour....which spills on the stone and chars to unpleasant smoke....

Please let me have your advice and comments.

Thanks,
Henrik

pizzapan