Author Topic: Scratch vs Purchased  (Read 967 times)

Offline molson20

Scratch vs Purchased
« on: May 26, 2012, 02:53:21 PM »
I've been looking for a discussion concerning the advantages of making your own dough vs purchasing pre made dough balls.  From what I can see there is convenience and consistency of the purchased product. Seeing the many discussion about receipts and ingredients points to the opportunity to make a very unique product.

So what to do?  At what point does it make sense to jump into dough making or keep purchasing pre made.

Mike

Offline DarqMan

Re: Scratch vs Purchased
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2012, 05:32:12 PM »
I've been looking for a discussion concerning the advantages of making your own dough vs purchasing pre made dough balls.  From what I can see there is convenience and consistency of the purchased product. Seeing the many discussion about receipts and ingredients points to the opportunity to make a very unique product.

So what to do?  At what point does it make sense to jump into dough making or keep purchasing pre made.

Mike

For me, making the dough is part of the fun.  I wouldn't do it any other way.

Offline franko9752

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2012, 06:29:38 AM »
Just jump into it. Once you get a handle on it u will be glad u did.

buceriasdon

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2012, 08:57:53 AM »
Welcome to the forum Mike. Located where I am I had no choice but make my dough and going from a home setting to a shop has been a challenge but I and my customers agree, my crust is the best tasting around. A few things to consider would be, do you have the space to dedicate to a large mixer and flour storage? Do you have a supplier for your flour? Can you work dough making into your shop schedule? Do you think your current purchased dough is lacking or are you and your customers happy with your crust?
Don

Offline Tory

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 11:05:02 PM »
I typically make my own dough. This gives me the freedom to experiment with different things. I can make it as hydrated as I want and so forth.

On one occasion I was in the local Trader Joe's and noticed they had a pre-made dough available in a bag. I declined to buy it because it seemed very, very hydrated; almost to the point of the consistency of mayonnaise. I've 'tried' working with dough that was this hydrated and it left me very annoyed to the point that it ended up in the trash.

So, again, I'd rather just make my own dough, it's easy to make, I have a recipe I use as a standard recipe, or I experiment, and I'n not out $5 for a piece of soggy mess I can't do anything with.

Offline Meatballs

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2012, 05:11:58 PM »
If you buy the dough you don't have a home made pizza or a pizza unique to you.  You have a home baked pizza and for that, just go get a Sam's pre-made boxed unit and pop it into the oven.  My wife would divorce me.

ron

pizzapan