Author Topic: Understanding formulas  (Read 965 times)

Offline khenningsen

Understanding formulas
« on: May 03, 2012, 02:09:16 AM »
I've been working off standard recipes and would like to start really refining my methods. I've noticed a lot of members post formulas. Right now I'm seeing a lot of numbers and trying to make sense of what I' reading. Any hints or a quick tutorial on how to read formulas?

Thanks!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: Understanding formulas
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2012, 08:38:44 AM »
I've been working off standard recipes and would like to start really refining my methods. I've noticed a lot of members post formulas. Right now I'm seeing a lot of numbers and trying to make sense of what I' reading. Any hints or a quick tutorial on how to read formulas?

Thanks!

khenningsen,

This is one post on understanding how the bakerís percent system works by Peter at Reply 2 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,6329.msg54280.html#msg54280  If you do a Google search on the bottom of the main forum page you also will get other posts to look at.

http://www.google.com/cse?cx=partner-pub-8699494821870730%3A9998332758&ie=UTF-8&q=understanding+bakers+pecent&sa=Search&siteurl=www.pizzamaking.com%2Fforum%2Findex.php&ref=www.pizzamaking.com%2Fforum%2Findex.php%3Faction%3Dsearch2#gsc.tab=0&gsc.q=understanding%20bakers%20pecent&gsc.page=1

The search features on this forum are good.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012, 09:03:25 AM »
khenningsen,

Another good article on baker's percents, in the form of a tutorial, is at http://www.wildyeastblog.com/2008/03/22/bakers-percentage-1/.

Peter

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2012, 09:26:15 AM »
Khen;
In a nut shell, here is how it works. First off, everything must be WEIGHED, it doesn't work with volumetric portions. Remember, flour is ALWAYS equal to 100%. To find ingredient weights:
Using your calculator, enter the weight of flour you want to use. Remember that the weight of the ingredients will be shown in the same weight units as the flour weight is expressed in (pounds, ounces, grams, kilograms, etc.)
then press X and enter the percent given for the ingredient weight you want, now press the "%" key and read the answer in the display window.
Example: flour weight selected: 32-ounces. Ingredient percent: 1.75%
32 X 1.75 (press the "%" key) and read 0.56-ounce in the display window. Do this for each ingredient and you have the weights for each ingredient.
To convert an existing formula to bakers percent:
Divide the WEIGHT of each ingredient by the weight of the flour and multiply by 100. This will put each ingredient into bakers percent.
Note: A recipe is based on volumetric portions (cups, teaspoons, etc.) and a formula is based on weight measures.
To convert a recipe to a formula, portion out each ingredient three times and then weigh each of the portions, add then up and divide by 3, this will give you the average ingredient weight for each individual ingredient in your recipe, now just divide the weight of each individual ingredient by the weight of the flour and multiply by 100 to put the weights into bakers percent.
Welcome!
Have fun exploring the wonderful world of PIZZA!
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 06:57:42 PM »
When you have the recipe formula in BP, then you use those percentages in the forum's "dough calculator" to enable you to make that recipe in any size/ amount of dough that you are wanting to try.....if someones recipe/pizza looks good to you but their formula(percentages) was only given for a 16 in pizza and you only have a 12 in. pan for right now, then you can convert it with the calculator using the given percentages.

Just take a look at the" expanded dough calculator" and maybe things will become much clearer to you.http://www.pizzamaking.com/expanded_calculator.html
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 07:39:41 PM by Chicago Bob »
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2012, 07:16:16 PM »

Thanks!

If you have any more questions, please ask.  We are here for you.  It's not difficult, but it took me some time to figure out BP.
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

pizzapan