Author Topic: ceramic/infrared oven broiler  (Read 1277 times)

Offline Alligator

ceramic/infrared oven broiler
« on: May 29, 2012, 04:05:31 PM »
Anyone here preheat their stones or cook their pizza using a ceramic/infrared gas broiler?  My gas range has, what they claim, as an 1850 degree broiler.  If it is as hot as they claim that should work well for pizza.  I know I have done a couple of steaks using the broiler and they do cook fast.  Making nacho's cheese will melt in 10 seconds.  Have not tried it yet, been using my big green egg in the back yard.

Just wondering if anyone has experience/tips on using something similar.  Thanks.

http://bluestarcooking.com/products/freestanding-ranges/rnb-residential-nova-burner

Offline Jet_deck

Re: ceramic/infrared oven broiler
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 04:39:21 PM »
It looks killer. http://bluestarcooking.com/videos-a-pictures/bluestar-picture-gallery/ranges-11

You hardly ever see an IR burner in this configuration. (pointing down)  They usually self distruct.  Have you tried it yet?
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline Alligator

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 04:48:12 PM »
It looks killer. http://bluestarcooking.com/videos-a-pictures/bluestar-picture-gallery/ranges-11

You hardly ever see an IR burner in this configuration. (pointing down)  They usually self distruct.  Have you tried it yet?

I have used the broiler to cook steaks, toast garlic bread, make nachos, and reheat leftovers without having to wait for the oven to heat up.  The closest to pizza has been reheating leftover pizza.  I can't do microwaved leftover pizza, no texture.  The broiler rejuvenates it quite well.

Offline Michael130207

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 04:51:35 PM »
I happen to have the same stove as you, actually I have a 48 RNB I bought 4 years ago, I believe they have done some redesign since then. Preheating underneath the broiler has not worked well because it doesn't stay on long enough to properly heat the stone (30-45minutes). You can try to trick the thermostat or other such manuevers but I have found a setup that works well for me.  I have not tried to trick the thermostat as the oven is not well insulated and the surrounding cabinets get hot even at 500F. What has worked well for me is to place a stone on the floor of the oven and another stone about 3 inches below the broiler. The stone on the floor will get very hot, it peaks at about 650F then cools as the rest of the oven warms and the thermostat kicks off. It will however tend to fluctuate between between 550-600F after reaching its peak as the burner cycles on and off. You can use an infrared thermometer to follow it and launch your pie at your desired temp. After the pie is on for about a minute I turn on the broiler. At about 2-3 minutes I transfer the pie to the broiler stone and rotate it to brown evenly, at the very end the oven door is open as I sort of "dome" it on the broiler to get some good char if not already there. The whole process takes about 4 minutes. I have found the stone under the broiler only gets to about 475F or so and the extra 100F-150F of the stone on the floor makes a big difference.
Michael

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 04:52:28 PM »
If its like most broilers, theres severe manufacturer's crippling at work.  Most will not allow you to really hit high temps without tweaking. 

Understandable... after all, do you really want to burn your house down making a pizza?  I don't think your insurance company would think much of the motivation either.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 04:57:30 PM by pizzaneer »
I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

Offline Alligator

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2012, 05:31:15 PM »
I happen to have the same stove as you, actually I have a 48 RNB I bought 4 years ago, I believe they have done some redesign since then. Preheating underneath the broiler has not worked well because it doesn't stay on long enough to properly heat the stone (30-45minutes). You can try to trick the thermostat or other such manuevers but I have found a setup that works well for me.  I have not tried to trick the thermostat as the oven is not well insulated and the surrounding cabinets get hot even at 500F. What has worked well for me is to place a stone on the floor of the oven and another stone about 3 inches below the broiler. The stone on the floor will get very hot, it peaks at about 650F then cools as the rest of the oven warms and the thermostat kicks off. It will however tend to fluctuate between between 550-600F after reaching its peak as the burner cycles on and off. You can use an infrared thermometer to follow it and launch your pie at your desired temp. After the pie is on for about a minute I turn on the broiler. At about 2-3 minutes I transfer the pie to the broiler stone and rotate it to brown evenly, at the very end the oven door is open as I sort of "dome" it on the broiler to get some good char if not already there. The whole process takes about 4 minutes. I have found the stone under the broiler only gets to about 475F or so and the extra 100F-150F of the stone on the floor makes a big difference.

Sounds like there is some work involved there.  Mine is the 36RNB about 2 years old.  Do you have any pics of the steps mentioned above? (in another thread perhaps?)

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2012, 06:24:21 PM »
The whole process takes about 4 minutes.
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

pizzapan