Author Topic: Cracker-ization of a Chicago thin  (Read 7544 times)

Offline ThatsAmore

Re: Cracker-ization of a Chicago thin
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2012, 12:52:37 AM »
First and foremost, this thread/conversation is going nowhere and not particularly pleasantly either—bad places for pizzamaking.com in particular. I have been reading and learning, posting and actively participating in this community for over 5 years—and unlike many other forums I have participated in (including various interests such as aquaria, other forms of home cooking, vintage sports cars, dogs, parrots, and professional companion animal grooming), pizzamaking.com has almost universally been a very friendly and upbeat and non-confrontive and supportive place that is very focused on what the topic of the site is—home pizza making of various styles with sharing of knowledge and techniques (often in extensive detail including photography). So I apologize if I went smart-ass on your comment about abbreviations. It just is so common here among the regulars; as well as being so uncommon around here to have negative criticisms concerning—well, almost anything. So, for me (and I invite all others), enough of this conversation with a critical edge and un-helpful slant...

Thanks for saying that with the tact that I'm not sure I could restrain on, for I for one, would like to serve him/her a cup of STFU!
Who put that pie in my eye ?

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2012, 07:02:00 AM »
I applaud Todd for the way he has responded in his last post. One of the things that I have learned as a Moderator on this forum, where I have to be attentive that a minor flareup does not become a major conflagration, is that taking the high road is invariably the best course and that putting people on the defensive, which is something we almost never do in the real world, rarely ends well.

Like it or not, the reality is that we live in a texting and Twitter and soundbite world where brevity is a way of life. I recall reading articles like the one at http://www.mediabistro.com/alltwitter/twitter-recipes-meals-in-140-characters-or-less-if-you-can-figure-them-out_b8634 where people try to post entire recipes on Twitter within the 140-character limit. Email and forums like this one have not been spared that trend, and we can expect that people will continue to rely more and more on using abbreviations and shorthand notations in all forms of written communication.

This episode has prompted me to think about putting together a list of some of the most common abbreviations used by members on the forum, especially since the forum's search engines other than the Google Custom Search feature do not do a good job on abbreviations for some reason. That list might be put in the form of a sticky on the Forum Information board of the forum and referenced whenever a member raises a question about a particular abbreviation. The existence of that sticky might be made a part of the introductory process used by the forum.

Peter

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2012, 08:55:35 AM »
I just looked at Webopedia....it is amazing the number of abbr. they have out there.  http://www.webopedia.com/quick_ref/textmessageabbreviations.asp/
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2012, 11:06:42 AM »
This episode has prompted me to think about putting together a list of some of the most common abbreviations used by members on the forum, especially since the forum's search engines other than the Google Custom Search feature do not do a good job on abbreviations for some reason. That list might be put in the form of a sticky on the Forum Information board of the forum and referenced whenever a member raises a question about a particular abbreviation. The existence of that sticky might be made a part of the introductory process used by the forum.

See my stab at an abbreviations list at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,20056.msg196875.html#msg196875. I locked that thread but welcome members to PM me other abbreviations to review for inclusion in the list. For sure, I must have missed some.

I also modified my post at Reply 1 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,13789.msg138493.html#msg138493 to alert new members at the time of their registration of the existence of the abbreviations list. My plan, which others may wish to use also, is to refer members (both new and old) to the abbreviations list if they should ask for the meanings of any abbreviations that are on that list. 

Peter

Offline mykall

« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2012, 09:47:12 PM »
Honestly,  I'd have thought that KAAP and KABF would have been on the shortest of lists of abbreviations for some time.  You really don't have to do much to figure these out.

Offline orlando pizza man 1

« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2012, 10:38:01 AM »
Thanks Mykall for posting your recipe. Looks good. I hope to try it out this Monday time permitting. Thanks again!

Offline mykall

« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2012, 09:43:08 PM »
It is at the least a starting point.  I've modified every time I make pizza.  In case you're interested I added all the liquids but the salt to the bowl + yeast and mixed, then added enough KABF to make pancake batter and then added the salt.  Then added the rest of the flour slowly but did not exceed 4 minutes of mixing time with the dough hook.  I let stand 1 hour and then 2 day cold rise in the fridge.  Minimum kneading (if any).

« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 10:03:59 PM by mykall »

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2012, 09:24:19 AM »
It is at the least a starting point.  I've modified every time I make pizza.  In case you're interested I added all the liquids but the salt to the bowl + yeast and mixed, then added enough KABF to make pancake batter and then added the salt.  Then added the rest of the flour slowly but did not exceed 4 minutes of mixing time with the dough hook.  I let stand 1 hour and then 2 day cold rise in the fridge.  Minimum kneading (if any).

That sounds like a very good work flow mykall. You say you are modifying every time you make this so if you'd like to try this; next time when you get to the pancake batter stage leave it to sit on the counter for 4-5 hrs. before proceeding. It is a "Jerry Mac " trick that puts a lot of flavor in the dough and is then used "same day".

Offline mykall

« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2012, 11:55:43 PM »
That sounds like a very good work flow mykall. You say you are modifying every time you make this so if you'd like to try this; next time when you get to the pancake batter stage leave it to sit on the counter for 4-5 hrs. before proceeding. It is a "Jerry Mac " trick that puts a lot of flavor in the dough and is then used "same day".

Yeah I'll give it a try.  Is this with or w/o yeast?  Was really looking for some sort of same day dough solution to try. 

TKS Bob.

MB

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2012, 08:45:58 AM »
Yeah I'll give it a try.  Is this with or w/o yeast?  Was really looking for some sort of same day dough solution to try. 

TKS Bob.

MB
Yes, use yeast and that recipe you posted earllier with the bakers percentages....switch to corn oil  ;).....oh, and try some old school puree....thinned. You mentioned the current sauce wasn't work'in for you.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 08:48:06 AM by Chicago Bob »

Offline mykall

« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2012, 10:29:33 PM »
Yes, use yeast and that recipe you posted earllier with the bakers percentages....switch to corn oil  ;).....oh, and try some old school puree....thinned. You mentioned the current sauce wasn't work'in for you.

Gotcha' ..but I've got a new sauce on the horizon.   'sperimentation at work!  ;D

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2012, 10:49:03 PM »
Yes mykall, I do remember you are the one who wants to see more sauce recipes, right? I think that's great, please keep us posted of your sauce developments...good luck on your mission comrade!!   :chef:

Offline mykall

« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2012, 10:38:13 PM »
Yes mykall, I do remember you are the one who wants to see more sauce recipes, right?

I would like more participation towards the discussion.  I find it hard to believe that short
of the-not readily available Stanislaus products- the consumer and shade-tree pizza mechanic
cannot even come close to anything commercial.  Some would add that 6-in-1 are readily
available, and they are, even if in Walmart "classico" form but to me these are really DD
tomatoes.  I like them but IMHO they are just not for "thin" pies.  And I know many on this
site still use them that way and are happy with the results.  I can't make the stretch.  I'm
just looking to dial in a really good thin crust sauce with the readily available. 

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2012, 08:25:04 AM »
I would like more participation towards the discussion.  I find it hard to believe that short
of the-not readily available Stanislaus products- the consumer and shade-tree pizza mechanic
cannot even come close to anything commercial.  Some would add that 6-in-1 are readily
available, and they are, even if in Walmart "classico" form but to me these are really DD
tomatoes.  I like them but IMHO they are just not for "thin" pies.  And I know many on this
site still use them that way and are happy with the results.  I can't make the stretch.  I'm
just looking to dial in a really good thin crust sauce with the readily available. 

OK well, I've stated my preference for the Chicago thin pizzas I make...good 'ol thinned tomato puree. If you'd like, next time I make it I'll write down the amounts of what I put in it. It's nothing magical or unordinary though..jus something old school Ive been using since I was a pizza prep kid back in the early 70's. It is definitely not a "cooked" sauce if that is was you are wanting to see...

Offline mykall

« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2012, 11:01:02 PM »
OK well, I've stated my preference for the Chicago thin pizzas I make...good 'ol thinned tomato puree

Aint' "puree" thin enough as it is?

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2012, 11:13:56 PM »
Depends on the brand mykall.
I've seen some "extra heavy puree" that you would think it was paste. Classico is fairly thick (to me). In the 70's we thinned puree to about the same consistency as what you see in a typical NY slice joint.
Pretty heavily seasoned too...I could never keep my finger out of the sauce bucket.   :)

Offline mykall

« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2012, 10:26:13 AM »
How does Classico puree compare to their crushed?  I find the crushed which are essentially 6 in 1 a little too sweet for thin pies, much better for DD.

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2012, 10:43:39 AM »
Exactly like you just said. You'll like their puree I think. Try a can....only thing you've got to lose is about a buck two four ninety eight!   ;)

Offline mykall

« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2012, 01:21:11 PM »
Actually......it was a buck one four seventy eight!  :-D

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2012, 10:18:03 PM »
Actually......it was a buck one four seventy eight!  :-D
Oh, great...I didn't know they have a thinner version.... ;)

pizzapan