Author Topic: How are you getting that pepperoni cup/char on your NY pizza at home?  (Read 103 times)

Offline csnack

• I Love Pizza!
I know this'll require some experimentation with rack position and oven temp as ovens vary, but I figured the errors in my trials could maybe be limited if there was a specific technique you guys use that I can use as a guide?
I'm using quarter to silver dollar-sized slices about the thickness of a quarter or a nickel. How are you guys getting the cuppage and char that gives you that baconess around the edge? I cook on the lodge 14" cast iron pizza pan in an electric home oven that goes up to 550f. So far I've been baking at 500f with the lodge preheated at that temp for an hour. Middle rack position and pizza is done in about 8 minutes. Only slight cuppage, but no char. When I cook a Papa Murphy's pizza though the pepperoni charrs, but then that pizza cooks for about 17min at 425. Should I max the oven to 550f? Use a higher rack and stay at 500? Maybe even a lower temp and longer cook? Oven is 16" vertical inside and four usable rack positions. Any tips? Hoping to limit the number of pizzas I ruin. A search turned up plenty of mention of the topic, but no results on how to achieve it. Thanks

Here is the last good pizza made.. 500f, middle rack for 8min on the Lodge.. and it came out just fine, though sans char. The aesthetics of cuppage is cool and all, but it's really that baconess char that I care about.

Offline norcoscia

• Supporting Member
  • I really Love Pizza!
Re: How are you getting that pepperoni cup/char on your NY pizza at home?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2016, 06:03:39 PM »
I think the type of casing and the sugar of the pepperoni makes the most difference when it comes to cup and char - someone with a better (more scientific) understanding will likely let you know but you might want to mention what type of pepperoni you are using for reference.

PS. Oven temp and bake time also plays a role but based on what you mentioned, you should be cooking plenty hot and long enough for some cup and char action.

Good luck and I hope a forum expert(s) can help you out more than I....
Norm

Offline csnack

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2016, 06:20:20 PM »
Thanks, yeah so far I've been using the Hormel "Natural Choice" that comes in a little brown box, presliced in a vac pac. Standard Hormel in the bright red bag is lousy, but this one of theirs is not bad and easily accessible to me. I'm down to try something else though, though I don't really want to spend an arm to get it. I down to splurge though sometimes and I'll try Vermont for sure, but I'm also thinking along the lines of every day high quality and not boutique every time. I'm good at slicing par-frozen meat thin and uniform with chef's knife as well.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 06:27:40 PM by csnack »

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning

Offline csnack

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2016, 06:37:19 PM »
csnack,

You might find this article helpful:

http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2012/12/the-pizza-lab-why-does-pepperoni-curl.html

Peter
Thanks man, yeah I saw that earlier, but
still he doesn't really go into how to achieve it in regards to oven temp/time/rack position etc at home, but more the "why" it happens. I bet though that if I used the top most usable rack and blasted my oven to 550 from the previously used 500 to make up for the further distance.. that'd probably do it. I still eat the pizzas I ruin anyway.