Author Topic: Famous Ezzo Pepparoni... Duplicated!  (Read 562 times)

Offline Pizza Shark

• I Love Pizza!
Famous Ezzo Pepparoni... Duplicated!
« on: June 21, 2015, 05:44:38 PM »
Many here have raved about Ezzo pepparoni and growing up myself in central Ohio stuffing my face with the likes of Tommy's Pizza on that cracker crust loaded with ezzo roni I wanted to try and duplicate that cup and curl.  Thanks to others here who posted that Hormel Rosa Grande links were very close in flavor and equally highly spiced, I have been using Rosa Grande for the past few years but I never got that cup and crisp I wanted.  I even started cutting down on the amount of Rosa Grande I'd put on my pizzas because of all the grease that my Dr. tells me I need to be mindfull of these days and I am a roni freak... the more the better in my opinion. 

Anyway,  I took my Rosa Grande links this weekend and I had an idea... I sliced them to about 1/8th inch and I layed them out on paper towels tripled over and covered them with one more layer of paper towel.  Into the microwave for 40 seconds they went.  They started to make spattering sounds around the 25 second mark and I certainly didn't want to cook all the fat out... just some thinking maybe I can get to Ezzo quality of I just cut some of the fat.  Well, look at all the grease that used to be on my pizza that is now left in the paper towels.  Furthermore, I can now load on more roni than ever while I get almost the same cup and curl I remember as a kid to boot!  As you can see, this in no way a low fat pizza. I just cooked out some the fat that Hormel puts in and Ezzo's doesn't which is why they are regarded as a premium product.  I am very pleased with the cup and curl I experienced today after all these and will never use Hormel Rosa straight sliced and on my pizza again. The flavor was intensifed and my pizza wasn't swimming in grease.  Now I can load it on and get the cupping I remember with the burnt edges and everything.  No swimming in grease!  YUM YUM!     

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
Re: Famous Ezzo Pepparoni... Duplicated!
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2015, 07:15:24 PM »
Dig it!
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline caymus

Res: Famous Ezzo Pepparoni... Duplicated!
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2015, 08:05:50 PM »
Some posters have written that the manufacturers engineer the pepperoni so it does not cup.  I find that all natural casing pepperoni cups.  Do you slice by hand or use a machine?

Thanks

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2015, 08:53:25 PM »
Will definitely look for this next time.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always working and looking for new information!
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2015, 09:30:35 PM »
Pizza Shark,

Your pepperoni pizza with Hormel Rosa Grande looks delicious!  I also like the same pepperoni.

Norma

Offline clarkth

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2015, 10:27:24 PM »
I'm going to try this out tomorrow, I have a stick of Rosa Grande just waiting to be used!

Offline Pizza Shark

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2015, 09:07:19 AM »
I have a little countertop meat slicer I used but cutting by hand is just as good (in fact, sometimes better as you can ALWAYS get a whole round slice if patient with the cutting whereas the slicer does leave it's share of incomplete circles.  I also like my pepparoni sliced a bit thicker than what pre-packaged pre-sliced.  Of note, this was a NYS dough baked on a stone that had been preheated to 550 degrees on the lowest rack of the oven (heating elements right underneath) for about 45 minutes prior to placing the pizza on it to be baked.  Also, this was the second pizza I made last night.  The first one I put too much sauce and cheese on it and when the sauce and cheese started to boil, the pepparoni kind of sunk down into it and many of the cups filled with sauce and cheese so no crispy edges on that one.  The one in the photo I used less sauce and cheese (sauce to the point I could still see plenty of dough underneath and cheesed to the point I could still see plenty of sauce under the cheese before baking.  With less sauce and cheese, when they reached that boiling point there wasn't so much that the pepparoni sunk down into it with cheese boiling over into the cups that had formed.  You can also see even with the pepparoni having been nuked for 30-40 seconds they still had plenty of fat remaining in them when you compare the size of the microwaved roni slices to what they ended up shrinking to on the pizza when really cooked.   

Offline Pizza Shark

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2015, 09:28:51 AM »
Oh, to give you an idea of the right amount of sauce and cheese to use so you dont' ahve so much it boils over sinking and filling the roni cups check out Norma's photo of the topped roni pizza before baking in her reply #13 on: January 29, 2013, 09:09:57 PM   Re: Vermont Smoked Pepperoni thread here and see how it turned out with the cupped roni still on top of the cheese and not sunk and filled with it. 

Offline Coon88

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2015, 11:08:51 PM »
Also cross posted this in one of Norma's topics, do you think this might be the same but pre sliced differs marketing name? Maybe I will take one for the team, currently use boars head and slice in my food processor but can be a pain.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always working and looking for new information!
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2015, 10:46:46 AM »
Coon,

This is the information about the Rosa Granda in sticks.  You can compare to what you might purchase.

http://www.profileshowcase.com/Product/DEFAULT/000301/33989/2?PRINT=Y

Norma

Offline Coon88

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2015, 09:50:04 PM »
Thanks Norma looks the same unless I missed something only thing I seen was "smoke flavoring" on the pre sliced

pizzapan