Author Topic: What brand of pepperoni does Pizza Hut use?  (Read 161 times)

Offline husker3in4

• Crazy for Pizza
What brand of pepperoni does Pizza Hut use?
« on: July 22, 2014, 12:59:28 PM »
Yes i know its chain pizza, but I love the taste of their pepperoni and its cut thin enough that it crisps on the edges which is perfect. anyone know what brand it is and if it can be bought by a regular person ?

Offline TXCraig1

Re: What brand of pepperoni does Pizza Hut use?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 03:05:59 PM »
It's likely that it is a proprietary formula. If not, it is almost certainly a foodservice product that has no retail equivalent. Even if you knew the manufacturer, there is little chance their retail products would be the same or even close for that matter. Most retail pepperoni is designed to be shelf stable. Most foodservice pepperoni is not.

If you can get your hands on a box, there should be a circle with the words "US Inspected and Passed Department of Agriculture EST" and a number. That is the USDA establishment number. If you have that, it is a simple matter to see who makes it. You will also be able to compare ingredients on the box to retail products.  If this information is not printed on the box, it will be printed on the inner bag.
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline husker3in4

• Crazy for Pizza
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 04:02:03 PM »
Well i guess that leads me to ask the question: what readily available pepperoni do you like best? the hormel is ok i guess, but i like it to be thinner. I used to buy the sticks of bridgefort and have the deli cut them thin, but its a bit too oily. Any suggestions?

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 04:08:15 PM »
The undisputed pepperoni heavyweight champion of the world: http://www.vtsmokeandcure.com/Smoked-Pepperoni.html

It's a bit expensive and you have to slice it.

Other than that, buy what you can find locally and see which one you like best.

Offline parallei

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 07:19:32 PM »
The undisputed pepperoni heavyweight champion of the world: http://www.vtsmokeandcure.com/Smoked-Pepperoni.html

It's a bit expensive and you have to slice it.

Other than that, buy what you can find locally and see which one you like best.

Hah! >:D

I'm the only guy that thinks Margherita Brand Natural Casing Dry Pepperoni is better.  Call around:

http://www.pennmac.com/items/354//margherita-natural-casing-dry-pepperoni-sticks

We need a "now he ducks" emoticon.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2014, 07:59:32 PM »
Here is what a former PH RGM said about it.......http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=4067.msg44235#msg44235
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Online Donjo911

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2014, 09:07:16 PM »
For my tests, I tried packaged pepperoni from Gallo (cured and uncured - so they say), Hormel, and three local butcher/charcuteries  (Olympic Provisions, another I can't recall, and Old World Sausage - all local to me, offering on-prem pepperoni.  And, being a fan of Boars' Head - I tried their stick pepperoni.
My results were somewhat similar to the Slice review of the same topic.  Some taste great (to me) out of the package, on another type of starch, etc.  Gallo and most certainly Boars' Head, for me, fall in this category.  The Hormel is better on a pizza than it is served another way.  However, I'm using Armour right now and very happy with it.  There is a Farmers Market this weekend that I believe has VTSmoke - so I plan to try that.  The review Steve (Admin) did on Ezzo was excellent and made me wish I had reason to use 20 lb's of pepperoni.

It's a favorite saying of mine:  There is no accounting for taste - especially mine.  I could be right - but who knows - everyone has their "best."  You really have to try a bunch yourself and see what works best for you/family/guests.

Cheers,
Don
Few great accomplishments are achieved single-handedly, Most have their Norgays.
How do you spot a Norgay?
You start with the people with the funny names.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2014, 10:13:37 PM »
I don't know about the stick, but if I remember right, Armour makes Boar's Head's sliced pillow pack pepperoni.

Offline caymus

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2014, 05:27:58 AM »
Armour (refrigerated line) is owned by Smithfield (which also owns Carando and Margherita).  Sort of a pepperoni monopoly :-D