Author Topic: Calabrian chili oil - how I make it.  (Read 34950 times)

Online norcoscia

• I really Love Pizza!
Re: Calabrian chili oil - how I make it.
« Reply #140 on: November 30, 2013, 08:30:15 PM »
I just made the Calabrian Chili Oil and tried it on tonights pie - all I can say is WOW!!!!!

It was great, one of the best things I have tasted in a very long time - thanks so much for sharing the recipe!

I can't wait to try it on other things!!!!

Offline Qarl

• I love to cook! and eat!
    • Black Pug Brewing
« Reply #141 on: November 30, 2013, 08:56:35 PM »
I have a batch I made recently. I used the 2nd half of the bottle and oil.  This time I added the reserved oil from the jar in with the oilve oil and chopped peppers for simmering.

This batch is HOT HOT HOT!

Offline Oceans05

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #142 on: December 02, 2013, 02:25:46 PM »
They have always shipped my orders fast. I know there have been times where there have been delays for other members. I think they had to do with waiting on product to clear customs.

Shoot, well order was cancelled as they (Taylor's Market) are currently out of stock. I called their customer service and said they won't have it available till late/end December.

Found these: http://www.amazon.com/Tutto-Calabria-Italian-Peppers-10-2-Ounce/dp/B00CMBJXJY/?tag=pizzamaking-20

Hopefully I'll have better luck second order around!

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #143 on: December 02, 2013, 02:48:33 PM »
I've been lucky when it comes to ordering, but I'm sure I'll hit an out-of-stock sooner or later. I always buy at least 4 jars and re-order when I still have one left just in case. I don't remember exactly what the shipping was, but it was not much more for 4 bottles than for 1 making them a lot less expensive.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline dylandylan

« Reply #144 on: December 13, 2013, 02:18:06 PM »
Quick question Craig - sorry if you've answered this elsewhere.  When you're putting this on say a Margherita, do you apply any other oil pre-bake?   Or would you make an oil-free Margherita first and then just apply just the calabrian chili oil afterwards?

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #145 on: December 13, 2013, 05:34:03 PM »
Quick question Craig - sorry if you've answered this elsewhere.  When you're putting this on say a Margherita, do you apply any other oil pre-bake?   Or would you make an oil-free Margherita first and then just apply just the calabrian chili oil afterwards?

I put evoo on pre-bake just like I otherwise would for a Margarita and then add this post bake as well. I don't put a lot of evoo on pre-bake (I've been meaning to put more but old habits die hard) on a plain margherita. If you normally put a lot on, maybe you would want to cut it back some, but really, you would need to try it different ways and see how you like it best.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline chriscar

« Reply #146 on: December 13, 2013, 07:58:03 PM »
Ever since seeing this thread about a year ago, I've been using these peppers on my pies, and my wife and I absolutely love them. Shipping kills me on these puppies, so using my superior Google-Fu, I found them in a 2.8kb tub here - http://www.wholesaleitalianfood.com/tutto-calabria-long-hot-chili-peppers.html, and just pulled the trigger on them. Did I really just spend FIFTY DOLLARS on friggen peppers?!?!?!?. Oh well, it's cheaper than buying two jars at a time from Amazon, and it'll make a nice gift under the tree. "I bought them for you, honey... honest.  >:D

Thought I'd share with y'all, as I'm indebted to this place for all the great info!

Cheers,
Chris
« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 08:03:28 PM by chriscar »
Cogito Ergo Zoom!

Online MartyE

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #147 on: January 01, 2014, 10:24:50 PM »
Chris,
Thanks for the tip on the http://www.wholesaleitalianfood.com website. That is a big tub of peppers and more that I can use at one time. But, I found they also have the smaller 290g jars. I picked up four jars at $6.50 each  + $16.00 for shipping. I am very happy with how the jars were shipped. Each jar was indivually bubble wrapped and placed in a box full of shipping peanuts. 

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #148 on: January 02, 2014, 10:36:20 AM »
Chris,
Thanks for the tip on the http://www.wholesaleitalianfood.com website. That is a big tub of peppers and more that I can use at one time. But, I found they also have the smaller 290g jars. I picked up four jars at $6.50 each  + $16.00 for shipping. I am very happy with how the jars were shipped. Each jar was indivually bubble wrapped and placed in a box full of shipping peanuts.
For $4 more you could have gotten over twice as much. They are packed in oil so you can break the tub down into smaller jars to store.. The man that started this thread lives in your town...you might want to contact him if you ever order these again.
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline cc2323

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #149 on: January 21, 2014, 12:07:56 AM »
Muchos gracias for making me aware of these peppers.... they are heavenly. I did an oil batch with half a jar of the Tutto Long Chili, and thought it was quite good. As it turns out though, I've found I prefer the straight peppers on pizza/pasta/sandwiches, usually cut into third and letting the oil and seeds drip on there... fab stuff.

Found a "re-up" locally here in Milwaukee. Since their remodel Glorioso's on the east side has a much expanded grocery section, and I was impressed that they had 3 varieties to choose from. I took a pic of them, as seen below. Fwiw, Groppi's in Bayview does not have Calabrians or most other specialty Italian items, they also did an expansion, but the expansion was more geared toward the new wine bar and much larger butcher.

Since Glorioso's didn't have Tutto Long Chili brand, I went with the Bomba di Calabria chopped pepper spread. I must say, the Tutto brand has them beat. The Bomba spread wasn't as salty or smoky IMO. In addition, after just 2 weeks in a cabinet after opening the jar, a white substance formed in the spread, I have since stored it in the refrigerator.

Despite the local hookup I will definitely be re-ordering Tutto Long Chilis from now on. I'm not feeling advernturous enough to try those other 2 brands of large round peppers. Thanks to the fellow who linked to that very reasonably priced 2.8kg mega jar. That's no joke.

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #150 on: March 03, 2014, 11:19:25 AM »
For no good reason, I've been putting off ordering the Calabrian Chilis from Amazon.  Today I found these at my local supermarket.

Craig,

These are packed in sunflower oil and sea salt.  Do you think they would still come out ok if I followed your recipe even though they appear to be crushed?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Mary Ann

Offline Donjo911

• Supporting Member
« Reply #151 on: March 03, 2014, 05:27:17 PM »
Mary Ann,
It looks like the ingredients are the same for the brand Craig has as in your Cento package:

Tutto Calabria Hot Long Chilli Peppers 93.4 Oz. $44.99

Food Service Size - Contact Us for Large Quantities  for Quotes

Ingredients: 100% Italian Hot Chili peppers, sunflower seed oil, salt, Natural Herbs.

Net weight 93.4 oz (g 2650)

Drained Weight: 63.49 oz (1800 g)

In case it's helpful.
I have done wrong.. but what I did, I thought needed to be done.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #152 on: March 03, 2014, 08:11:05 PM »
For no good reason, I've been putting off ordering the Calabrian Chilis from Amazon.  Today I found these at my local supermarket.

Craig,

These are packed in sunflower oil and sea salt.  Do you think they would still come out ok if I followed your recipe even though they appear to be crushed?

I don't know why not.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #153 on: March 07, 2014, 06:16:42 PM »
I had some tonight on my pizza and all I can say is, why the heck did I wait so long to make this?!  :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:
Mary Ann

Offline Rinoxxx

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #154 on: March 09, 2014, 01:22:52 PM »

Craig,

Mary Ann,
I found these at Carrado's Italian market, they were really good  :drool: They weren't too expensive either, think they were $2.99 a jar.
Sam
Sam

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #155 on: March 09, 2014, 01:28:25 PM »
Thanks for the tip, Sam.  I found the Centos at ShopRite last week.  I didn't look at the price, but oh man they are good!
Mary Ann

Offline Rinoxxx

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #156 on: March 14, 2014, 02:30:10 PM »
These peppers make a great hot sauce BTW. I just rinsed them off to get some of the oil off, put them in my Vitamix with a cup of vinegar, a clove of garlic, pinch of sea salt and squeezed a lime in there. Once it was smooth I poured it in a pan and simmered it for about 15 minutes, you might need to add little water/vinegar to adjust consistency, let it cool and put in a glass bottle, then in fridge. It made an awesome hot sauce, really flavorful.
Sam

Online norcoscia

• I really Love Pizza!
« Reply #157 on: March 16, 2014, 06:42:28 AM »
Hi Rinoxxx, glad you posted this - I was thinking about trying that but I have never made hot sauce - could you tell me about how much pepper to aid to the 1 cup of vinegar - did you use the whole jar?

Offline Rinoxxx

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #158 on: March 16, 2014, 11:07:08 AM »
Hi Rinoxxx, glad you posted this - I was thinking about trying that but I have never made hot sauce - could you tell me about how much pepper to aid to the 1 cup of vinegar - did you use the whole jar?

It is really a matter of taste, there is no exact measurement, the more peppers you use the more heat you will get. I used the whole jar, I cut the stems and removed most of the seeds. You may need to add a little more vinegar/water if it gets too thick.
Sam
Sam

Online norcoscia

• I really Love Pizza!
« Reply #159 on: March 16, 2014, 03:47:51 PM »
Thanks, that gives me a good starting pout to work from!