Author Topic: Calabrian chili oil - how I make it.  (Read 34775 times)

Offline Ali72289

Re: Calabrian chili oil - how I make it.
« Reply #160 on: May 05, 2014, 01:08:56 AM »
I found dried calabrian peppers and am going to make the oil tomorrow. Has anyone tried using dried peppers before?

Im also wondering if I should use a double boiler for the oil. I was taught that heating olive oil changes the flavor.

Update: I blended up 12 dried calabrian chilies that I toasted and mixed it with 3/4c extra virgin olive oil over a double boiler for about a half hour. It was spicy and there wasn't a ton of flavor. I filtered through  a coffee filter because I thought it looked nice.

I have to play around with it and figure out something  that works for dried chilies. This was good-- if you like spicy food (I do)  then you'd like this adaptation but it's definitely not what everyone here is describing. Next up I'll try with a few less chilies and I'll try hydrating them beforehand.

« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 02:08:30 AM by Ali72289 »

Offline Pizza-Dude

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #161 on: July 02, 2014, 12:42:38 AM »
Nevermind. Answer was above LOL

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #162 on: July 02, 2014, 09:09:45 AM »
I found dried calabrian peppers and am going to make the oil tomorrow. Has anyone tried using dried peppers before?

Im also wondering if I should use a double boiler for the oil. I was taught that heating olive oil changes the flavor.

Update: I blended up 12 dried calabrian chilies that I toasted and mixed it with 3/4c extra virgin olive oil over a double boiler for about a half hour. It was spicy and there wasn't a ton of flavor. I filtered through  a coffee filter because I thought it looked nice.

I have to play around with it and figure out something  that works for dried chilies. This was good-- if you like spicy food (I do)  then you'd like this adaptation but it's definitely not what everyone here is describing. Next up I'll try with a few less chilies and I'll try hydrating them beforehand.

You might try adding some salt to the water when you re-hydrate. I hove no idea if that will be good or not, but out of the jar, they tend to be pretty salty.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Pizzakngjr

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #163 on: July 05, 2014, 11:20:35 PM »
I haven't seen where anyone has mentioned yet, has anyone tried making the oil from fresh peppers? I just ordered seeds from Grow Italian
http://www.growitalian.com/pepper-piccante-calabrese-97-115/

Cant wait to get them in and get some plants going.  :drool:

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #164 on: July 05, 2014, 11:45:44 PM »
I grew some of those last year, and they are much larger and with much thicker flesh than the varieties typically seen in jars. It is a nice pepper but very different from what you are probably expecting.
Pizza is not bread.

Online tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #165 on: July 06, 2014, 01:10:37 AM »
I grew some of those last year, and they are much larger and with much thicker flesh than the varieties typically seen in jars. It is a nice pepper but very different from what you are probably expecting.

Craig, did you grow any peppers this year? I did grow a few but not as many as last year. 

Offline Pizzakngjr

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #166 on: July 06, 2014, 02:29:03 AM »

Thanks Craig on the upside, I've never had the jarred, so no reasonable expectation! How are they flavor-wise? Comparable to whats in the jars?

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #167 on: July 06, 2014, 12:29:14 PM »
Craig, did you grow any peppers this year? I did grow a few but not as many as last year.

Yes, none have ripened yet.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #168 on: July 06, 2014, 12:32:23 PM »
Thanks Craig on the upside, I've never had the jarred, so no reasonable expectation! How are they flavor-wise? Comparable to whats in the jars?

Quite different, but that may have a lot to do with differences in the curing process. The flesh is so much thicker, they really are not comparable. The treatment I liked best was to salt them to remove moisture. Give them a short soak in vinegar and add olive oil and smoke them for a few hours.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline DenaliPete

• Supporting Member
« Reply #169 on: July 07, 2014, 10:28:48 PM »
I have always enjoyed this recipe in the past.  However, I recently made a batch with peanut oil instead of EVOO because I had felt that the butteriness of the olive oil was muting the flavor of the pepper some for me.

Twas a good choice for me.  The peanut oil didn't augment the taste of the chile's at all.  I will continue to mix with peanut oil in the future, I like the more pronounced flavor and the heat.

However, in any form I can say I love this sauce.  I have added it to pasta sauce, mixed it with mayo for burgers, poured it on sandwiches...everything has been very complimented with the oil.

I think this morning though I discovered my new favorite application,..Craig, if you haven't tried it already, you gotta try slathering some on a jalapeno cheddar bagel...I put it on a freshly buttered one about an hour ago...Oh god, incredible.  I quickly applied it to the other half of the bagel and snarfed that up as well.

I'm sure you could do without the butter, especially if your cooking medium is the EVOO.  But it was great nonetheless.

Craig, this was such a great recipe to contribute to the forum.  It has turned my pies up a notch for my tastebuds for sure.  I may even start mixing some of the chile oil (or perhaps just the diced peppers) into my sauce to utilize it as a base for my pie.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #170 on: July 07, 2014, 10:56:52 PM »
I never even considered using anything other than a buttery EVOO. Interesting. I also love the flavor it gives to a simple tomato sauce. I often mix it into the leftover sauce and use it for something the next day - that is if I don't simply eat it all straight out of the bowl with a spoon  ;D

I'll try it on a bagel. So far the best non-pizza use I've tried is as a dip for pork rinds (hat tip to Chau for the idea).
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #171 on: July 07, 2014, 11:32:40 PM »
Excellent on a cheddar cheese omelet.

cb
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #172 on: July 07, 2014, 11:33:15 PM »
Excellent on a cheddar cheese omelet.

cb

I bet. I need to try that for sure.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Tonio

« Reply #173 on: July 08, 2014, 12:39:33 AM »
So far the best non-pizza use I've tried is as a dip for pork rinds (hat tip to Chau for the idea).

^^^
OMG, chicharones and calabrian chiles- great idea !! >:D

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #174 on: July 08, 2014, 12:46:19 AM »
^^^
OMG, chicharones and calabrian chiles- great idea !! >:D
And pork rinds have zero carbs....only `chips` I eat.

No carb veggie dip or Texas Pete hot sauce is nice too....the porkeyness is enhanced if you nuke them jus a bit too.   ;)
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 12:53:31 AM by Chicago Bob »

Offline DenaliPete

• Supporting Member
« Reply #175 on: July 08, 2014, 12:52:57 AM »
I never even considered using anything other than a buttery EVOO. Interesting. I also love the flavor it gives to a simple tomato sauce. I often mix it into the leftover sauce and use it for something the next day - that is if I don't simply eat it all straight out of the bowl with a spoon  ;D

I'll try it on a bagel. So far the best non-pizza use I've tried is as a dip for pork rinds (hat tip to Chau for the idea).

After how tasty it was on the bagel in oil form, it really got me wondering how a calabrian chili jelly would turn out.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #176 on: July 08, 2014, 12:57:36 AM »
After how tasty it was on the bagel in oil form, it really got me wondering how a calabrian chili jelly would turn out.
Good idea Pete...I bet that would be good on a BLT.

Offline Thelonious

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #177 on: July 12, 2014, 06:45:37 PM »
I have long been a fan of Tutto Calabria's products, though they are rather expensive. I've found Salpa is a less expensive alternative especially bought in 6 packs from supermarketitaly.com or italydepot.com.  http://www.supermarketitaly.com/salpa-hot-peppers-6-pack-314g/  Taylor's is pretty overpriced.

I often put would put the peppers whole on my pizza, and people would always rave about the flavor but I'll have to work them into an oil.

Also, Amore Pepper paste is pretty good stuff and easy if you want to just dab it around.

I am trying to take it to the next step by doing the peppers from scratch. I actually found some transplants for calabrian hot peppers and have been growing in my garden. In the past my attempts have not yielded results like Tutto Calabria or Salpa though. Trying to find the right recipe and technique.... still searching!

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #178 on: July 12, 2014, 06:54:37 PM »
I have long been a fan of Tutto Calabria's products, though they are rather expensive. I've found Salpa is a less expensive alternative especially bought in 6 packs from supermarketitaly.com or italydepot.com.  http://www.supermarketitaly.com/salpa-hot-peppers-6-pack-314g/  Taylor's is pretty overpriced.

I often put would put the peppers whole on my pizza, and people would always rave about the flavor but I'll have to work them into an oil.

Also, Amore Pepper paste is pretty good stuff and easy if you want to just dab it around.

I am trying to take it to the next step by doing the peppers from scratch. I actually found some transplants for calabrian hot peppers and have been growing in my garden. In the past my attempts have not yielded results like Tutto Calabria or Salpa though. Trying to find the right recipe and technique.... still searching!

Thanks for the link.

If you find a recipe that makes a close approximation, please post it. Several of us have researched in depth and tried, but I don't think anyone has nailed it yet.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline dethchef

• Excuse me if I smell like a forest fire.
« Reply #179 on: July 14, 2014, 07:44:38 PM »
+1 Supermarket Italy
I also just made an order from SupermarketItaly, no complaints and they were much better priced than Amazon.