Author Topic: Calabrian chili oil - how I make it.  (Read 31807 times)

Online TXCraig1

Calabrian chili oil - how I make it.
« on: May 29, 2012, 11:01:13 PM »
A couple people have asked me how I make Calabrian Chili oil. Here is how I do it:

I destem and chop up a dozen or so Calabrian chilies, I prefer the long ones from Tutto Calabria (I get them here: http://taylors-market.amazonwebstore.com/B000OLBA9A/M/B000OLBA9A.htm) and add them to ~2/3 cup EVOO and place over a high heat. Once it is bubbling heavily, turn the heat down low and let it simmer for about four or five minutes then turn the heat off and let it cool. That's all there is to it. Don't let them go longer than that on the heat. You don't want them to get crispy. After it is cool, taste and add a little more oil if it is too spicy for you then pour it all into a container and put it in the fridge. It will keep for a long time. I love it on most any tomato based pie (I usually add post bake); to me it is the perfect chili match for tomato sauce. It totally transforms a marinara, a cheese pie, or a Margherita. It is great with sardines. Yesterday, I added a teaspoon to a half cup of leftover tomato sauce and ate it like soup. You almost can't go wrong. It is worth searching them out and giving this a try.

Enjoy.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 11:04:54 PM by TXCraig1 »
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
Re: Calabrian chili oil - how I make it.
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 11:17:56 PM »
There is no wine involved?  Either for a recipe helper, or otherwise? :)
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 11:19:48 PM »
There is no wine involved?  Either for a recipe helper, or otherwise? :)

Yes, there usually is.  :-[
Pizza is not bread.

Offline RobynB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2012, 01:23:57 AM »
Craig,

Does this preparation mitigate or accentuate the saltiness of the chiles?  I have purchase two different brands of Calabrian Chiles, the Tutto Calabria and the Italian Harvest brand.  Both seemed very salty, the Tutto Calabria more than the Italian Harvest, but both were saltier than I find pleasant. 

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 06:45:50 AM »
Craig,

Does this preparation mitigate or accentuate the saltiness of the chiles?  I have purchase two different brands of Calabrian Chiles, the Tutto Calabria and the Italian Harvest brand.  Both seemed very salty, the Tutto Calabria more than the Italian Harvest, but both were saltier than I find pleasant.  

Yes, it mitigates the saltiness. (I must be a little more salt tolerant than you - I like to eat them whole). The oil dilutes it I guess, and you also end up using relatively little actual chili on any particular pie.

CL

edited for clarity
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 09:32:38 AM by TXCraig1 »
Pizza is not bread.

Offline RobynB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2012, 10:58:34 AM »
Cool, I'll try it!  Thanks.

Offline R2-Bayou

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2012, 12:59:27 PM »
Thanks for posting this Craig, I will absolutely try this.
"Wretched excess is just barely enough."

Online tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2012, 01:15:19 PM »
Thanks for the recipe Craig. I think I will run down some Calabrian chilis and give this a try. 

Regards,

TinRoof

Offline Mangia Pizza

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2012, 01:43:36 PM »
I just ordered the long peppers..... can't wait to try the Calabrian peppers with my Pugliese EVOO to make a "Cagliese Olio Santo"

Grazie for the recipe Craig!
Paolo

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2012, 01:54:31 PM »
You're welcome. Please post how it works out for you.

Be sure to error on the side of undercooking. You don't want them to get crispy!
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2012, 02:02:53 PM »
I must be a bit salt tolerant.  I was eating them whole on saltines for breakfast at the Summit.  The Canadian Bloody Mary (Caesar) seemed to wash the salt down pretty well. 
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rinLztPFYBc" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rinLztPFYBc</a>

No.  She was not at the Summit, but .......

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2012, 02:30:59 PM »
Hi Craig -
I'd like to give this a try, but all I can source locally at my neighbor's organic farm are ancho and cayenne peppers.  If I'm making this fresh, do you think I should do the pickling step first, then do as you describe?  

How would you characterize the taste of a calabrian vs an ancho?  Sweeter, more hot, etc?

I'm thinking of smoking the anchos first, then going through the steps you outline.  How do you think that will come out?

I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2012, 02:46:25 PM »
Hi Craig -
I'd like to give this a try, but all I can source locally at my neighbor's organic farm are ancho and cayenne peppers.  If I'm making this fresh, do you think I should do the pickling step first, then do as you describe?  

How would you characterize the taste of a calabrian vs an ancho?  Sweeter, more hot, etc?

I'm thinking of smoking the anchos first, then going through the steps you outline.  How do you think that will come out?

I think both will make an excellent topping, but I doubt either will taste like a Calabrian. I've not tasted another pepper like them. It's not in the sweetness or heat. Rather, they have a savory, umami element that is just different. They do have some heat. I think the cayenne will be closer, but smoked ancho makes an excellent oil. I think the cayenne would benefit from a quick "pickling" with a little salt and vinegar - not sure about the ancho. Try it both ways. Please post how it works out.

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Offline rcbaughn

• Supporting Member
  • Love my pup and pizza!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2012, 05:29:09 PM »
I wish Whole Foods carried the Calabrian chili peppers, I would love to try to make this oil. I need to find a similar pepper that I can find but since I have never tried Calabrian chile's I have no idea what would taste similar. I would guess they are very hot even though they are jarred. I find jarred peppers to be less hot than fresh ones, although the fresh kind may not be too good for making a chili oil.
More is better..... and too much is just right.

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2012, 05:42:47 PM »
I wish Whole Foods carried the Calabrian chili peppers, I would love to try to make this oil. I need to find a similar pepper that I can find but since I have never tried Calabrian chile's I have no idea what would taste similar. I would guess they are very hot even though they are jarred. I find jarred peppers to be less hot than fresh ones, although the fresh kind may not be too good for making a chili oil.

Order them from the link I gave above. They are ~$9/bottle + ~$9 shipping if I remember correctly. However, if you buy multiple bottles, the shipping doesn't go up. I'd order two. Make one into oil and it will last you for a long time. Try the second on other things. I chop them up and eat them on grilled steak. I put them into tomato based sauces. I eat them straight out of the bottle. They are awesome.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2012, 05:44:28 PM »
They are not hot.  Very flavorful with a small heat at the end.  I'm sure you would enjoy them. Maybe 1/16 the heat of a jalapeno

buceriasdon

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2012, 05:58:36 PM »
Hope this link works. The author says the Calabria pepper, which there are many different types rates:
http://www.fiery-foods.com/ask-dave-faq/118-chile-varieties/1259-AskDave
I'm sure the oil packing or pickling does affect the flavor as well as the heat level.
Don

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2012, 06:35:23 PM »
I got two jars from Amazon after seeing this post.

This oil is like liquid pizza crack. I was doing a few pies with Aleppo chiles added pre bake and then adding more Aleppo post bake along with Craig's Calabrian chile oil & chiles. I think it's outta this world and many of the market customers echoed this as well.

I'm putting it on pastas, bread and just this morning put a drizzle on some mixed fresh berry pancakes. This stuff is likely to become another MHH of sorts.....great on everything!

Muchas gracias senor Craig!  -k
"It's Baltimore, gentlemen, the gods will not save you." --Burrell

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2012, 01:59:28 AM »
I found a small jar of the Tutto Calabria Hot Peppers Sauce (it's more of a paste) at the local world market.  I decided to give Craig's hot oil a try.  And I have to agree with you guys, this stuff is good and it is addicting.   It has a great flavor but very little heat.   I actually added a few shakes of some thai crush red pepper to the mix to kick up the heat level.  It doesn't change the flavor of the calabrian peppers but just kicks up the heat a bit.  

Tonight I dipped some Hot pork rinds into the oil and couldn't stop eating them.   BTW, the paste can be use to make the hot oil and is just as good Im sure.  Thanks for the post Craig.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 02:02:53 AM by Jackie Tran »

Offline bakeshack

« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2012, 05:25:59 AM »
Have any of you guys tried the Silafunghi brand?  This is what I have been using and it's great and very addicting.  I add a little bit more olive oil to "extend" them and make it easier to drizzle on pizza.  I get it from my neighborhood deli shop but it's also being sold here online - http://www.oliveoiloftheworld.com/shop/index.php?ukey=product&productID=710

Marlon