Author Topic: Calabrian chili oil - how I make it.  (Read 34758 times)

Offline TXCraig1

Re: Calabrian chili oil - how I make it.
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2012, 08:28:42 AM »
Tonight I dipped some Hot pork rinds into the oil and couldn't stop eating them.   BTW, the paste can be use to make the hot oil and is just as good Im sure.  Thanks for the post Craig.

You're welcome. Thanks for the tip on dipping pork rinds in it. Two of my favorite foods, and I never thought of it  ???
Pizza is not bread.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2012, 08:30:49 AM »
Have any of you guys tried the Silafunghi brand?  This is what I have been using and it's great and very addicting.  I add a little bit more olive oil to "extend" them and make it easier to drizzle on pizza.  I get it from my neighborhood deli shop but it's also being sold here online - http://www.oliveoiloftheworld.com/shop/index.php?ukey=product&productID=710

Marlon

No, I have not seen that one. I need to give it a try.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2012, 08:52:12 AM »
craig, have you tried the one i left?  i wonder how you think it compares to yours. 

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2012, 09:05:11 AM »
I was wandering on chili oil ?? Done ! Yes I just ordered 2  $8.99 ea. Shipping $7.25 for both. A few people have been asking for something with a little more Kick ? beyond the Mikes Hot Honey I use. This should do the trick  >:D
thanks for posting Craig  !!
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline weemis

• My Pizza Web Blog
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2012, 09:59:27 AM »
I picked up some hot chili oil from a local asian market last week. While I have yet to use it on pizza, it was only $2.99 for 8 or so oz and within walking distance from my house. I also tried a hot pepper infused olive oil a few months ago that kicked up the heat nicely with little real flavor, but that was $8/bottle. I wonder how these compare to this chili oil?
Nick Gore - just a dough eyed wanderer

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2012, 10:07:28 AM »
craig, have you tried the one i left?  i wonder how you think it compares to yours. 

I have not. I made a big batch right before you got here and I have not use it all yet. I'd be happy to open tham and compare them side-by-side, if you'd like.

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2012, 10:14:07 AM »
I picked up some hot chili oil from a local Asian market last week. While I have yet to use it on pizza, it was only $2.99 for 8 or so oz and within walking distance from my house. I also tried a hot pepper infused olive oil a few months ago that kicked up the heat nicely with little real flavor, but that was $8/bottle. I wonder how these compare to this chili oil?

As to the plain "chili oil," (i.e., clear with nothing solid in it), I've seen two general types 1) those made with sesame oil, and 2) those made with a lighter, flavorless oil. The ones made with sesame oil add a ton of flavor, but not necessarily a flavor I would want on pizza. They are great however with other Asian flavors. The ones made with the flavorless oil add some heat but not a ton of flavor. What flavor there is is like that of a dry red chili flake and nothing like a Calabrian chili which has a salty, briny flavor.

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2012, 02:06:50 PM »
If you recall, I was going to try making some fire-roasted pepper oil with Anchos.

They were sold out of the Anchos, so I got some cayenne and mild (unripe) jalapenos instead.  Nice color to the jalapenos! Very mild flavor, I think I've had green peppers that were hotter.

I cut both kinds of peppers up in sections, brined them in boiling hot white vinegar & sea salt + MSG, let them cool overnight, then fried them in OO with garlic chunks.   The taste is very good.  It seems to get more complex as it ages in the jar.

So far I've used it on a roasted sweet bell pepper, stuffed with cheddar, cream cheese and sliced yellow cherry tomatoes.  Really, really good.

I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2012, 03:15:49 PM »
Are you sure those are jalapenos? Jalapenos are dark green until they are very ripe when they turn brown red then bright red. They almost never have any lateral indentions in them and often get scars (kind of look like stretch marks) before changing color. If I had to guess, I'd say they are banana peppers.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline pizzaneer

« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2012, 03:28:07 PM »
Are you sure those are jalapenos? Jalapenos are dark green until they are very ripe when they turn brown red then bright red. They almost never have any lateral indentions in them and often get scars (kind of look like stretch marks) before changing color. If I had to guess, I'd say they are banana peppers.

That's what I was told... I'll go with your eye - my experience with peppers is very lacking.  Definitely matches the taste profile better too.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2012, 03:29:01 PM »
Tonight I dipped some Hot pork rinds into the oil and couldn't stop eating them.  

I just tried it. OMG, that is so frekin' good.
Pizza is not bread.

buceriasdon

« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2012, 03:38:19 PM »
Picture of jalapeno

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2012, 03:41:58 PM »
Notwithstanding how much I love Calabrian chilies, I'll go on record saying that the Jalapeno is the most important chili pepper known to man, IMHO.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline atom

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2012, 10:49:16 PM »
I just picked up some Jalapeno Olives! small can like $1 buck a piece so I can do 3 or 4 pies and if I dont use em not a crisis . Look what you have started Craig!
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 12:19:39 AM by JConk007 »
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2012, 12:03:55 AM »
I just picked up some Jalepeneo Olives!

Love them.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline weemis

• My Pizza Web Blog
« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2012, 09:37:45 AM »
Just wondering what you guys think of it I think it looks neat.

i tried a hot pepper infused olive oil like your second link. it brought the heat, which was what i was looking for. but as for the flavor, it adds little to the pie.
Nick Gore - just a dough eyed wanderer

Offline pizzaneer

« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2012, 10:02:07 AM »
i tried a hot pepper infused olive oil like your second link. it brought the heat, which was what i was looking for. but as for the flavor, it adds little to the pie.

Doctor it up some.  Add a little liquid smoke or maybe Worcestershire.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2012, 01:16:40 PM »
I gotta say, the calabrian chili oil is genius.  So simple yet great.  It's more than just the Calabrian peppers.  I was putting that paste straight from the jar onto pizza, which was good.  But I am eating so much more of it in the form of the chili oil.  I must say though, that I am adding a portion of dried crush Thai peppers to increase the heat and I am using Tuscan EVOO.  With the added heat and butteriness of the oil, this chili oil is phenomenal.   I ran out of pork rinds today and dipped Pringles into the oil.  Just as good!  Had to make more since my last batch from last week.  

Pizzaneer, I would take out all of the peppers in the oil and either grind, crush, or blend them up into a paste.  Then add just enough oil to make a chunky or semi loose consistency.  As it is, you have too much oil and not enough peppers IMO. 

Chau
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 01:19:59 PM by Jackie Tran »

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2012, 01:29:03 PM »
I ate a large bag of pork rinds with it last week. Thank you very much - like my midsection really needed to know about this most guilty pleasure.  :-D
Pizza is not bread.

pizzapan