Author Topic: Calabrian chili oil - how I make it.  (Read 23781 times)

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
Re: Calabrian chili oil - how I make it.
« Reply #40 on: August 26, 2012, 02:28:58 PM »
Thanks for the tip JT.  As it is, the cayenne peppers make the oil almost too hot for me.  But it sure tastes good!  Looking forward to trying this with different types of peppers.  Maybe fire-roasted anchos next time, I'm missing the char taste.
I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

Offline rcbaughn

• Supporting Member
  • Love my pup and pizza!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #41 on: August 28, 2012, 11:52:47 PM »
Well I probably should've posted while I was in Whole Foods, but I purchased some fresh Thai chiles. I'm wondering how these would do in an oil? I know you said that the canned Calabrian's were salty, so if I did infuse some oil would I add salt or let it be?

I'm also not sure about Thai chile heat or flavor. It was the spur of the moment purchase since I've never seen them there. If they won't make a good oil I'll find something else to do with them or just string them up and dry them.
More is better..... and too much is just right.

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #42 on: August 29, 2012, 12:06:16 AM »
....I'm wondering how these would do in an oil? I know you said that the canned Calabrian's were salty, so if I did infuse some oil would I add salt or let it be? ...

I looked at my local super grocery for the Calabrian chili's also, none to be found.  I am not speaking for Craig, but the oil was not salty.  The chili's were.  After he cooked the chili's and returned them to the oil, you had two choices when they were put in the cooler table serving tray.  The oil was at the top (easy heat and good flavor) if you dug  lower into the container you could grab some chili seeds and the chili's themselves.  No place near jalapeno hot, but super tasty though.

I would say save the salt until you taste them reduced, and re-introduced to the oil.
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline rcbaughn

• Supporting Member
  • Love my pup and pizza!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #43 on: August 29, 2012, 12:12:00 AM »
Thanks a ton, I think I'm just going to pierce the chili's a few times with a fork before I cook them in the oil unless it would be better to cut them up a certain way. I'm looking forward to this a lot, I love spicy food and this was a very cheap thing to buy for which is always a plus.

Offline RobynB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #44 on: August 29, 2012, 01:00:19 AM »
I don't know if it's just a regional thing, but lately here in Northern California, I'm finding the Calabrian chile's everywhere.  Grocery stores, specialty food stores, literally everywhere I look I seem to see them.  I'm finding them at local Italian family type grocery stores, but also at huge chain stores like Raleys/Nob Hill, Cost Plus....  So keep looking, you may be seeing them in unexpected places pretty soon. 

Offline rcbaughn

• Supporting Member
  • Love my pup and pizza!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #45 on: August 29, 2012, 06:02:03 AM »
Well I made this with the Thai chiles and it turned out pretty well I think. There is almost no heat to it but there is a good bit of flavor. It's like a really peppery olive oil. I suspect that I didn't have enough chiles in the oil since they are so small. I think I chopped up about 7 and they did get very crispy in that short amount of time in the oil so I ended up having to strain them out. That may be why there wasn't that much heat, leaving them in would have probably leeched more heat out of them although there was almost no liquid left in the pepper pieces. And maybe I over cooked them. Anywho, here is a picture. It turned a much darker shade of green that matched the chili's color of green.

Offline pizzaneer

« Reply #46 on: August 29, 2012, 07:28:57 AM »
Nifty color!  I bet you could make a hell of a pesto sauce with that.

buceriasdon

« Reply #47 on: August 29, 2012, 07:54:46 AM »
There must be a brining process done before bottling Calabria chili as I've read references to their saltiness whether a round or tapered chili is used.
Don

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #48 on: August 29, 2012, 08:37:36 AM »
There must be a brining process done before bottling Calabria chili as I've read references to their saltiness whether a round or tapered chili is used.
Don

I think you are right. Vinegar is listed as an ingredient, but there is none free in the bottle.
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline rcbaughn

• Supporting Member
  • Love my pup and pizza!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #49 on: September 07, 2012, 05:09:05 AM »
So I took the Thai chili oil I made and resimmered it with some habaneros that I got for cheap and had no idea what to do with. They really up'ed the flavor of the oil. The Thai chiles just didn't give me enough flavor and very little heat. I thought the heat from habaneros would blow me out after getting the smell in my nose while dicing, but they just gave the oil a great fruity flavor. I kept the oil around 220 for 10 mins and the peppers stayed soft without crisping like the Thai chiles I used did.

Offline Ev

« Reply #50 on: September 07, 2012, 04:53:27 PM »
I need to start experimenting. I've got hundreds of super hot peppers ready to harvest. I just don't know what to do with all that heat.

Offline Ev

« Reply #51 on: September 07, 2012, 07:27:17 PM »
Since I'm in picture posting mode, here are some pre-harvest pepper shots. I forget which are which :-[ but the guy who sent me the seeds labeled them as "Naga Morich", "Datil" and "Bonnie(worlds hottest)"

Offline Pizza De Puta

« Reply #52 on: September 07, 2012, 07:56:42 PM »
Since I'm in picture posting mode, here are some pre-harvest pepper shots. I forget which are which :-[ but the guy who sent me the seeds labeled them as "Naga Morich", "Datil" and "Bonnie(worlds hottest)"

Wow!  Those are beauties!!  What a colorful garden, EV!!!

I found a jar of Tutto Calabrian peppers at a local hippie market today and made Craig's oil.  I added one tsp per cup of our pizza sauce to brighten the flavor and give the sauce some kick.  A couple of tasters from our last experimental session labeled our latest round of sauce as "bland."  In this small amount, this is right at the beginning of the heat threshold. The addition of this oil to the sauce which contains all the usual ingredient culprits is based on 6 in 1 crushed tomatos.  I'll make a margherita pizza this weekend featuring this oil as a post-bake drizzle, as well as, add a few peppers to the pie, too.

Thanks for sharing, Craig!
RE

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #53 on: September 07, 2012, 08:01:39 PM »
I'll make a margherita pizza this weekend featuring this oil as a post-bake drizzle, as well as, add a few peppers to the pie, too.

I'm excited to hear what you think about it on the Margherita.

CL

Offline Ev

« Reply #54 on: September 07, 2012, 10:57:13 PM »
I ordered the Tutto Calabria thru Amazon. they should arrive next week. Can't wait to try them, and the oil, out!

Offline RobynB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #55 on: September 08, 2012, 12:38:43 AM »
Ev, I'm right there with you, though I guess we should move this to a different topic.  I planted 6 Serrano plants plus 3 other random hot chiles, and the Serranos are going nuts.  I'm a few weeks away from being buried in HOT chiles and have no idea what I will do with them all, since I primarily like raw fresh chiles myself.  Would love some suggestions for preserving hot peppers!

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #56 on: September 08, 2012, 01:23:37 AM »
Ev, I'm right there with you, though I guess we should move this to a different topic.  I planted 6 Serrano plants plus 3 other random hot chiles, and the Serranos are going nuts.  I'm a few weeks away from being buried in HOT chiles and have no idea what I will do with them all, since I primarily like raw fresh chiles myself.  Would love some suggestions for preserving hot peppers!

Pickle them. It's easy and they are really good. Hot sauce is also really easy to make - but do it outside or you will think someone popped a tear gas grenade in your house.

Offline pizzaneer

« Reply #57 on: September 08, 2012, 02:05:16 AM »
I've got a big pyrex dish full of chopped red and green habeneros, baby red and yellow peppers and black olive juice with white vinegar marinating on the counter right now.  If it's too much to fit in the jar, I'll save some as pickled peppers.  Otherwise, it's chili oil time!

I had a thought... maybe this oil would also work to keep ants out of the kitchen?  Mine (sugar ants) have become resistant to bug spray.  Another science project possibility!

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #58 on: September 08, 2012, 02:18:21 AM »
I had a thought... maybe this oil would also work to keep ants out of the kitchen?  Mine (sugar ants) have become resistant to bug spray.  Another science project possibility!

Get some TERRO Liquid Ant Killer. Put a drop the size of a dime on a smallpiece of dense paper that won't soak it up and put it in their path. They will park themselves all the way around it and lap it up. In a day or so, no more ants.

Offline pizzaneer

« Reply #59 on: September 08, 2012, 02:23:22 AM »
Thanks Craig, will hit Home Depot for it tomorrow.  Question stands, though.  8)