Author Topic: Calabrian chili oil - how I make it.  (Read 49000 times)

Offline Ev

Re: Calabrian chili oil - how I make it.
« Reply #50 on: September 07, 2012, 04:53:27 PM »
I need to start experimenting. I've got hundreds of super hot peppers ready to harvest. I just don't know what to do with all that heat.

Offline Ev

« Reply #51 on: September 07, 2012, 07:27:17 PM »
Since I'm in picture posting mode, here are some pre-harvest pepper shots. I forget which are which :-[ but the guy who sent me the seeds labeled them as "Naga Morich", "Datil" and "Bonnie(worlds hottest)"

Offline Pizza De Puta

« Reply #52 on: September 07, 2012, 07:56:42 PM »
Since I'm in picture posting mode, here are some pre-harvest pepper shots. I forget which are which :-[ but the guy who sent me the seeds labeled them as "Naga Morich", "Datil" and "Bonnie(worlds hottest)"

Wow!  Those are beauties!!  What a colorful garden, EV!!!

I found a jar of Tutto Calabrian peppers at a local hippie market today and made Craig's oil.  I added one tsp per cup of our pizza sauce to brighten the flavor and give the sauce some kick.  A couple of tasters from our last experimental session labeled our latest round of sauce as "bland."  In this small amount, this is right at the beginning of the heat threshold. The addition of this oil to the sauce which contains all the usual ingredient culprits is based on 6 in 1 crushed tomatos.  I'll make a margherita pizza this weekend featuring this oil as a post-bake drizzle, as well as, add a few peppers to the pie, too.

Thanks for sharing, Craig!
RE

Offline TXCraig1

• Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #53 on: September 07, 2012, 08:01:39 PM »
I'll make a margherita pizza this weekend featuring this oil as a post-bake drizzle, as well as, add a few peppers to the pie, too.

I'm excited to hear what you think about it on the Margherita.

CL
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline Ev

« Reply #54 on: September 07, 2012, 10:57:13 PM »
I ordered the Tutto Calabria thru Amazon. they should arrive next week. Can't wait to try them, and the oil, out!

Offline RobynB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #55 on: September 08, 2012, 12:38:43 AM »
Ev, I'm right there with you, though I guess we should move this to a different topic.  I planted 6 Serrano plants plus 3 other random hot chiles, and the Serranos are going nuts.  I'm a few weeks away from being buried in HOT chiles and have no idea what I will do with them all, since I primarily like raw fresh chiles myself.  Would love some suggestions for preserving hot peppers!

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #56 on: September 08, 2012, 01:23:37 AM »
Ev, I'm right there with you, though I guess we should move this to a different topic.  I planted 6 Serrano plants plus 3 other random hot chiles, and the Serranos are going nuts.  I'm a few weeks away from being buried in HOT chiles and have no idea what I will do with them all, since I primarily like raw fresh chiles myself.  Would love some suggestions for preserving hot peppers!

Pickle them. It's easy and they are really good. Hot sauce is also really easy to make - but do it outside or you will think someone popped a tear gas grenade in your house.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
« Reply #57 on: September 08, 2012, 02:05:16 AM »
I've got a big pyrex dish full of chopped red and green habeneros, baby red and yellow peppers and black olive juice with white vinegar marinating on the counter right now.  If it's too much to fit in the jar, I'll save some as pickled peppers.  Otherwise, it's chili oil time!

I had a thought... maybe this oil would also work to keep ants out of the kitchen?  Mine (sugar ants) have become resistant to bug spray.  Another science project possibility!
I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #58 on: September 08, 2012, 02:18:21 AM »
I had a thought... maybe this oil would also work to keep ants out of the kitchen?  Mine (sugar ants) have become resistant to bug spray.  Another science project possibility!

Get some TERRO Liquid Ant Killer. Put a drop the size of a dime on a smallpiece of dense paper that won't soak it up and put it in their path. They will park themselves all the way around it and lap it up. In a day or so, no more ants.

Offline pizzaneer

« Reply #59 on: September 08, 2012, 02:23:22 AM »
Thanks Craig, will hit Home Depot for it tomorrow.  Question stands, though.  8)

Offline Bob1

« Reply #60 on: September 08, 2012, 01:13:36 PM »
I ordered the Tutto Calabria thru Amazon. they should arrive next week. Can't wait to try them, and the oil, out!

Ev,
I was just at Bova and they carry the long and short Tutto Calabria for 7 something a jar.

Offline Ev

« Reply #61 on: September 08, 2012, 01:25:31 PM »
Thanks Bob, but even at 8 something plus shipping the 2 jars I ordered, it's still cheaper for me than the hour and 20-30 minutes of highway driving to get to Bova from here. Next time I'm in the neighborhood though.......... :D

Offline Pizza De Puta

« Reply #62 on: September 08, 2012, 04:11:49 PM »
Here's an 18" "margherita" NY pizza with fresh basil, calabrian chilis and TxCraig's chili oil.

Fresh out of the oven.  Anybody hungry?  Come on over!   ;D
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 06:11:20 PM by Pizza De Puta »
RE

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #63 on: September 08, 2012, 04:18:05 PM »
Here's an 18" "margherita" NY pizza with fresh basil, calabrian chilis and chili oil.

Fresh out of the oven.  Anybody hungry?  Come on over!   ;D

Dang that looks good. If I was anywhere near...

Offline pizzaneer

« Reply #64 on: September 08, 2012, 04:22:16 PM »
Wow, 18"   :o  That's really impressive.  Guess you're getting that deck oven nailed for NY.   Any shots of making it / launching it?  I have enough trouble with 14", can't even picture a beast like that flying off a peel.

Offline RobynB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #65 on: September 08, 2012, 04:22:56 PM »
Gorgeous photo of gorgeous pizza!  I'm only 2+ hours from you - one of these days when you're open....   ;)

Offline Pizza De Puta

« Reply #66 on: September 08, 2012, 05:51:15 PM »
Dubbed "Smokey and the Bandit" this pizza my last today.  It features smoked ham, linguica, bacon, smoked mozz, fresh mozz, calabrian oil, along with home-grown basil and tomatoes.  Bake time 3:45 in the Mighty Blodgett for this 18" NY style pie.  My son just came home following a 3-hour drive from college with a bunch of buddies.  Hungry kids everywhere, pizza anyone?
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 09:23:17 PM by Pizza De Puta »
RE

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #67 on: September 08, 2012, 05:53:16 PM »
RE,

What was the reaction of your taste testers?

Peter

Offline Pizza De Puta

« Reply #68 on: September 08, 2012, 05:56:24 PM »
RE,

What was the reaction of your taste testers?

Peter

They are college kids.  They'd eat road kill!  They ate like they hadn't eaten in weeks.  Must be that popcorn and Top Ramen diet they'd been on.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 09:51:03 PM by Pizza De Puta »
RE

Offline Pizza De Puta

« Reply #69 on: September 08, 2012, 06:01:55 PM »
Smokey and the Bandit Crust.

Edit:  Just tried it . . . not bad.  72 hour proof with a punchdown reball at 48 hours.  Got lucky on this one!
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 09:51:56 PM by Pizza De Puta »
RE

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #70 on: September 08, 2012, 06:30:45 PM »
Beautiful pizzas especially that chili one
Deb

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #71 on: September 08, 2012, 06:49:18 PM »
Smokey and the Bandit Crust anyone?

Edit:  Just tried it . . . incredible.  72 hour proof with a punchdown reball at 48 hours.  Got lucky on this one!

I doubt that luck had anything to do with it.

Offline Pizza De Puta

« Reply #72 on: September 08, 2012, 08:30:58 PM »
Made five pizzas:  Cheese, margherita w/calabrian chili, pepperoni and mushroom, salami and sausage, and Smokey and the Bandit.  Favorite amongst the kids was the calabrian chili margherita--good eye Deb.  We'll definitely will have to add this to our proposed menu . . . now I just have to think of a catchy name . . . !

My gosh, those 10 kids just hopped in the car are headed back to school, there isn't a morsel left.  Those weren't taste testers, they were locust!  Wiped-out all five, 18" pizzas, and one of Maria's exquisite coconut cream pies!!  Didn't get much information other than that they were at least edible and they liked the "chili one".  Spent $250 on groceries yesterday and get to go shopping again tomorrow LOL!

BTW, Craig, the sausage modification recipe you provided in another thread was outstandingly good!  Definitely keeping this one!!  Thank you for sharing sir!!
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 09:58:39 PM by Pizza De Puta »
RE

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #73 on: September 08, 2012, 08:56:26 PM »
Favorite amongst the kids was the calabrian chili margherita--good eye Deb.  We'll definitely will have to add this to our proposed menu . . . just got to think of a catchy name . . . !

Hummm... maybe there is someone you might want to name it after...  ;D

Offline Pizza De Puta

« Reply #74 on: September 08, 2012, 09:13:42 PM »

Hummm... maybe there is someone you might want to name it after...  ;D

Calabrian Craigherita?   :chef:
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 09:15:37 PM by Pizza De Puta »
RE

pizzapan