Author Topic: Calabrian chili oil - how I make it.  (Read 33615 times)

cc2323 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
Re: Calabrian chili oil - how I make it.
« Reply #80 on: September 17, 2012, 08:45:54 AM »
The Maholo looks to be in a class of its own. Mmmmm.
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline RobynB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #81 on: September 18, 2012, 02:31:00 PM »
Just beautiful.  Both the pizza and the photography!

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #82 on: October 08, 2012, 12:13:10 PM »
What an idiot I am! >:(  I buy my fresh mozz. from an Italian grocery called Russo's. The other day, I stopped in for some and dang if they don't carry, not only the Tutto Calabria chile peppers, but everything else they make as well, and at $4.99 a jar, no less! At least now I know.  http://www.russofoodmarket.com/

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #83 on: October 08, 2012, 12:20:30 PM »
What an idiot I am! >:(  I buy my fresh mozz. from an Italian grocery called Russo's. The other day, I stopped in for some and dang if they don't carry, not only the Tutto Calabria chile peppers, but everything else they make as well, and at $4.99 a jar, no less! At least now I know.  http://www.russofoodmarket.com/

You are lucky to have such a place. Nothing like that here in Houston (or Texas for that matter) as far as I know.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
« Reply #84 on: October 08, 2012, 12:25:32 PM »
Here's the info for anyone else lucky enough to live around there - see pic title for address
I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #85 on: October 08, 2012, 07:29:57 PM »
My house isn't too far off that map.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #86 on: October 08, 2012, 07:30:48 PM »
My house isn't too far off that map.

Mine is!  :-D
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #87 on: October 08, 2012, 07:34:08 PM »
I know I'm around here somewhere! :-D

Offline Home_Deck

« Reply #88 on: October 21, 2012, 09:28:41 AM »
hungry for pizza after seeing those pictures and its 9am... nice work..

made my first batch of Calabrian chili oil last night, that's some good stuff...

Offline PennyNC

« Reply #89 on: December 04, 2012, 07:09:17 PM »
Add me to the list of people loving this oil.  Upon reading everyone's advice, I ordered two jars and made my first batch the day they came in.  I made a second batch today for tonight's pizzas and, can I tell you?  This may be my favorite pizza sidekick EVER!  Thanks, Craig - you're the man!

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #90 on: December 04, 2012, 08:58:19 PM »
Add me to the list of people loving this oil.  Upon reading everyone's advice, I ordered two jars and made my first batch the day they came in.  I made a second batch today for tonight's pizzas and, can I tell you?  This may be my favorite pizza sidekick EVER!  Thanks, Craig - you're the man!

You're welcome. I'm happy you like it!
Pizza is not bread.

Offline MrPibbs

« Reply #91 on: January 04, 2013, 08:05:40 PM »
With all this praise, I ordered 4 jars.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #92 on: January 04, 2013, 08:23:34 PM »
I keep at least three on hand at all times. Every now and then they get hard to find.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline MrPibbs

« Reply #93 on: January 08, 2013, 01:36:13 PM »
Craig one other question on that pie in first post, about how much of the original batch (12 peppers chopped & cooked in 2/3C EVOO) do you use on a 12-13" pie?

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #94 on: January 08, 2013, 02:24:16 PM »
Craig one other question on that pie in first post, about how much of the original batch (12 peppers chopped & cooked in 2/3C EVOO) do you use on a 12-13" pie?

3-4 tsp.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline DenaliPete

• Supporting Member
« Reply #95 on: February 01, 2013, 11:11:32 PM »
Craig at the end of the process do you separate the oil from the chili peppers or just jar them together?

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #96 on: February 01, 2013, 11:38:03 PM »
Craig at the end of the process do you separate the oil from the chili peppers or just jar them together?
Once it is bubbling heavily, turn the heat down low and let it simmer for about four or five minutes then turn the heat off and let it cool. That's all there is to it. Don't let them go longer than that on the heat. You don't want them to get crispy. After it is cool, taste and add a little more oil if it is too spicy for you then pour it all into a container and put it in the fridge. It will keep for a long time.

Enjoy.
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline DenaliPete

• Supporting Member
« Reply #97 on: February 02, 2013, 12:26:03 AM »
Just double checking.  I figured they went together, but when I saw another member post their infused oil it was completely clear.  But it was a different member, different oil.  Just wasn't sure if I misread a step in the process.

Offline DenaliPete

• Supporting Member
« Reply #98 on: February 02, 2013, 06:58:18 AM »
Mixed up a batch, going to try it on a simple pie with basil.  Just from the bit I've had from the spoon I think the flavor is a bit muted by that of the Olive oil.  I'm using bertolli EVOO, not sure how that stacks against other olive oils.  On the first pie I make I'm going to throw on a few teaspoons and see how it plays.  After that I may end up tossing in a few more peppers (I used 12 in 2/3 cup evoo) and pureeing it in the vitamix, followed by a quick re-simmering on the stovetop, or I may even try my hand at microwave extraction ala Red November.

In any case, I'm excited to give it a shot.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #99 on: February 02, 2013, 08:43:56 AM »
Mixed up a batch, going to try it on a simple pie with basil.  Just from the bit I've had from the spoon I think the flavor is a bit muted by that of the Olive oil.  I'm using bertolli EVOO, not sure how that stacks against other olive oils.  On the first pie I make I'm going to throw on a few teaspoons and see how it plays.  After that I may end up tossing in a few more peppers (I used 12 in 2/3 cup evoo) and pureeing it in the vitamix, followed by a quick re-simmering on the stovetop, or I may even try my hand at microwave extraction ala Red November.

In any case, I'm excited to give it a shot.

I've been going a little heavier on the chilis lately as well. Add some oil from the jar to the mix too. If you do a re-simmer, be quick, you won't like it if you get them crispy, and the older ones will crisp-up very fast as they have already given up a bunch of water. If you puree, I think you will probably get a milky orange emulsion. I'm sure it will taste good, but I don't think it will look good on pizza. The flavor will intensify some as it rests too.
Pizza is not bread.