Author Topic: Calabrian chili oil - how I make it.  (Read 24032 times)

Offline DenaliPete

Re: Calabrian chili oil - how I make it.
« Reply #100 on: February 02, 2013, 08:45:52 AM »
Just got the first pie out of the oven.  I didn't catch in the original post that generally the oil is added post bake.  I had quite an oily pool in the center of my pie...but a delicious oily pool.  Some of that could have also been from using Muenster and jack cheese in addition to my mozz.  

On the 2nd pie I'll do it correctly, and probably just use the mozz.

Offline DenaliPete

« Reply #101 on: February 02, 2013, 08:50:45 AM »
I've been going a little heavier on the chilis lately as well. Add some oil from the jar to the mix too. If you do a re-simmer, be quick, you won't like it if you get them crispy, and the older ones will crisp-up very fast as they have already given up a bunch of water. If you puree, I think you will probably get a milky orange emulsion. I'm sure it will taste good, but I don't think it will look good on pizza. The flavor will intensify some as it rests too.

Thats a good point regarding the re-simmering.  Maybe I'll just do a few minutes at 30% power in the microwave to try and be a little gentler...I actually have no idea if that'd be gentler.

Offline DenaliPete

« Reply #102 on: February 09, 2013, 05:53:43 AM »
I almost feel bad for messing around with such a success of a recipe.

I didn't bother resimmering my first batch, it went down just fine without any help, and I was a little nervous that I'd crisp things up too much.

I just finished making a second batch.  I split about 14 small peppers in half and poured some of the oil from the jar into 2/3 cup olive oil, and repeated Craigs process of bringing to a healthy bubble then reducing to a simmer for 5 minutes.

After that was completed I took the hot mixture into my Vitamix and cranked it up.  While it didn't liquefy the peppers, it pulped them out quite a bit, they now resemble crushed tomatoes in the oil.  Not quite an emulsion, but fairly close.

After a quick stir and taste I'm pretty satisfied.  I think the flavor of the oil would be much the same blended or not, but I'm happy with the process.  It may not look as pretty on a pizza, I'll find out here in just a little bit with my emergency dough.  But I think this will work well for me in other applications.  I've found that this oil kicks a sandwich up a few notches, and it will mix well with mayo.

First the oil

(http://imageshack.us/a/img694/7039/photofeb09030409.jpg)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

And on a pizza (shamefully I've been out of touch for a bit and my shaping has gone a little rusty).  Thrown on top of my emergency dough.

(http://imageshack.us/a/img89/927/photofeb09030737.jpg)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Craig, this oil is a great tool for anyone, its got pretty limitless applications.  I'd probably eat the stuff on ice cream.

Appreciate your work sir,

Pete

Sorry guys, can't figure out the upload.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 07:27:08 AM by DenaliPete »

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #103 on: February 09, 2013, 07:28:15 AM »

thanks Craig, this oil is awesome, I"m almost through the first batch that I made.  yesterday I cooked up some pasta (awesome lumache from jeff v) with a little leftover pizza sauce and a good sized spoonful of this oil

« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 07:29:54 AM by deb415611 »

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #104 on: February 09, 2013, 08:15:11 AM »
It is so good mixed into pizza sauce, isn't it. I almost always mix some into the leftover pizza sauce, but I don't think I've ever put it on pasta. Quite an oversight on my part. Most of the time I use it for a dipping sauce.
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #105 on: February 09, 2013, 08:29:36 AM »
It is so good mixed into pizza sauce, isn't it. I almost always mix some into the leftover pizza sauce, but I don't think I've ever put it on pasta. Quite an oversight on my part. Most of the time I use it for a dipping sauce.

that was the first time mixing it with the sauce, I'm looking forward to a pizza with it mixed in, I have just drizzled it on pizza up to this.  Dipping sauce, I'm sitting here in the snow thinking it's a perfect day to bake and I think i'm off to find a same day focaccia recipe, thanks Craig

Offline DenaliPete

« Reply #106 on: February 09, 2013, 10:28:46 AM »
I do like topping my pizza with the oil, but I can easily foresee it becoming a permanent addition to my sauce recipe to up the spice profile a little bit. 

I used some of my sauce as the glaze for my meatloaf, which was stuffed with goat cheese, spinach, and arugula.  I should've thrown some oil in the sauce as well.

Offline Qarl

• I love to cook! and eat!
    • Black Pug Brewing
« Reply #107 on: February 28, 2013, 08:24:40 PM »
Just made mine tonight and have it in a glass jar to settle.

When you all use this on you pizzas, are you using MOSTLY the oil and then picking some of the red flesh pieces out?

Or are you applying the oil, flesh AND SEEDS on your pizzas?

I find the seeds a bit distracting to chew.

Q

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #108 on: February 28, 2013, 08:30:24 PM »
Just made mine tonight and have it in a glass jar to settle.

When you all use this on you pizzas, are you using MOSTLY the oil and then picking some of the red flesh pieces out?

Or are you applying the oil, flesh AND SEEDS on your pizzas?

Q

I stir it up and spoon on an even mix, but I like the seeds. There is a ton of flavor in the oil, so it's not imperative that you use the remains of the peppers. If it wasn't going to use them, I would probably cook it a little longer, strain it, and discard the pepper.

Offline Qarl

• Black Pug Brewing
« Reply #109 on: March 01, 2013, 08:14:55 PM »
I drizzled it on tonight's pie.  Seeds and all.  Nom nom.

Thanks!

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #110 on: March 01, 2013, 08:34:42 PM »

Q

They are just a small part of the entertainment.... :-D   :drool:
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline bjshaver

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #111 on: May 31, 2013, 11:42:44 PM »
TXCraig,

Thanks for this thread...I just made the Calabrian oil this evening for a "spicy" tomato pie tomorrow night...with the oil and Peppadews watch out! 

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #112 on: June 01, 2013, 12:03:30 AM »
TXCraig,

Thanks for this thread...I just made the Calabrian oil this evening for a "spicy" tomato pie tomorrow night...with the oil and Peppadews watch out!

I love the flavor of the oil and tomato.

Offline Camaro10

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #113 on: June 19, 2013, 09:47:36 AM »
Does anybody know if GFS or Rest Depot carries these peppers? I checked World Market but no luck...

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #114 on: June 19, 2013, 10:34:08 AM »
Does anybody know if GFS or Rest Depot carries these peppers? I checked World Market but no luck...

I highly doubt it. The internet is your best bet.

Offline Qarl

• Black Pug Brewing
« Reply #115 on: July 19, 2013, 01:42:53 PM »
Use #327 for Calabrian Pepper Oil

Goes great on hummus!  Normally, I make an indentation in my bowl of hummus and place some olive oil and paprika in there.  This time, I just put a big table spoon of pepper oil and pepper chunks!

Scrumpdillyicious!

Offline Trickydick

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #116 on: July 19, 2013, 01:46:20 PM »
I love spicy food so you know I just had to make some of this.  I was curious since I see some bits of chile pod as well as oil in some pics on your pizza, how do you store the oil?  I poured my l into an olive oil bottle, but the chile bits sit at the bottom and only the oil comes out when I pour.  Maybe a small glass jar and a spoon would work better, but I didn't have any empty such jars to use when I made it. 

TD

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #117 on: July 19, 2013, 01:51:20 PM »
I love spicy food so you know I just had to make some of this.  I was curious since I see some bits of chile pod as well as oil in some pics on your pizza, how do you store the oil?  I poured my l into an olive oil bottle, but the chile bits sit at the bottom and only the oil comes out when I pour.  Maybe a small glass jar and a spoon would work better, but I didn't have any empty such jars to use when I made it. 

TD

I keep in it a wide mouth bottle or container so I can stir it and dispense it with a spoon.

Offline Trickydick

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #118 on: July 19, 2013, 02:42:31 PM »
I keep in it a wide mouth bottle or container so I can stir it and dispense it with a spoon.

That's what I figured.  Need to eat more pickles or something to get and empty jar! 

Offline parallei

• Supporting Member
« Reply #119 on: July 19, 2013, 04:05:20 PM »
I tried making some of this chili oil (L'olio santo di Calabria) with Tutto Calabria's Diavoletti Rossi (little red devils).  Used about 1/3 of the sack in 1/2 cup oil. Way hot for me! >:D