Author Topic: Jim Lahey No Knead Dough which flour?  (Read 2009 times)

Offline ere514

Jim Lahey No Knead Dough which flour?
« on: May 30, 2012, 11:38:56 AM »
Lahey is kind of cavalier about the kind of flour that he recommends for his no knead dough.  Can it really be that simple or has anyone determined which flour (or blend) works best?

Offline tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
Re: Jim Lahey No Knead Dough which flour?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012, 06:26:08 PM »
It's true that Lahey doesn't seem to have strong opinions about flour. That's different from most bakers.  He seems to feel that the technique is the key rather than the type of flour.  I think any good quality AP or stronger flour will give you good results.  King Arthur Bread Flour for instance should be perfect.  I use Conagra Mello Judith (around 11.75% protein) and I really love that for all kinds of pizza recipes, including Lahey's. 

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 06:36:17 PM »
tinroofrusted

One of my favorite flours is also from Con Agra, their 12.4% protein occident flour. Too bad Con Agra's flours aren't more readily accessable in ordinary supermarkets.

Offline tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2012, 07:17:01 PM »
I get the Mello Judith at Chef's Depot. 50 lb sack is a real good deal (less than $20 as I recall). I will take a look to see if they also have the protein occident flour. (Their flour names are kind of weird, aren't they?)

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 07:33:15 PM »
Wow, $20 for 50 lbs., lucky you!

Offline tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2012, 07:41:59 PM »
Well, maybe my memory is a bit faulty on the price, but it's a heck of a lot cheaper than buying King Arthur at Vons, that's for sure! 

Offline scott123

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2012, 09:04:30 PM »
Dave, a 50# bag of flour from a bakery distributor is almost always between $15 and $20. How much are you paying?

Jim, while the slightly higher protein content Occident might work well for you, it won't be the same as Dave's most likely bromated version. Between an unbromated Occident and Mondako, I'd probably lean towards the Mondako (or Mondako/Power blend).

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2012, 10:14:58 PM »
Scott
I buy from a local restaurant supplier, I used to get 50# bags for $15-20, but in the past year or so, that's about the price for a 25 pounder. We don't have many options around here, this place is one of the few I can buy those sized bags. My last purchase was a flour called "Adirondack" all purpose, it was $16.50 for 25 Lbs.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2012, 09:11:37 AM »
Scott
I buy from a local restaurant supplier, I used to get 50# bags for $15-20, but in the past year or so, that's about the price for a 25 pounder. We don't have many options around here, this place is one of the few I can buy those sized bags. My last purchase was a flour called "Adirondack" all purpose, it was $16.50 for 25 Lbs.

Dave,

Is the Occident flour you were able to purchase bromated or not?  What I can purchase either at my local country store, or at my distributor, can be bromated or unbromated.  I purchased the bromated version that I tried on some doughs for pizzas.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2012, 09:23:47 AM »
Norma

The occident I get is bromated. I can only get that flour in the summer time when I travel to northern NY. It is sold in a little Amish country store similar to your country store. The store is located in Philadelphia, NY. I love that flour for both pizza and bread. I make bread in a bread machine when I am at my camp on the ST. Lawrence RIver, and it always comes out great. I am all out of my stock of Con Agra occident, but will soon be able to stock up once again.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2012, 09:55:57 AM »
Norma

The occident I get is bromated. I can only get that flour in the summer time when I travel to northern NY. It is sold in a little Amish country store similar to your country store. The store is located in Philadelphia, NY. I love that flour for both pizza and bread. I make bread in a bread machine when I am at my camp on the ST. Lawrence RIver, and it always comes out great. I am all out of my stock of Con Agra occident, but will soon be able to stock up once again.

Dave,

Thanks!  :)

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Papageorgio

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2012, 11:09:25 PM »
Erie514,

There are no hidden tricks. The flour is plain old everyday 'all purpose' flour (any brand will do) and yes, the recipe is that simple! Even a 6 year old can do it.
I bought a cast iron pot w/ the lid in Walmart for $35. Works great and the bread comes out just like his...excellent.