Author Topic: July 2012 Monthly Challenge: "Deep Dish for Non-Chicagoans"  (Read 3064 times)

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
Those of us who weren't raised on Chicago deep-dish often dismiss it derisively: it doesn't look like pizza, it doesn't taste like pizza, maybe it shouldn't be called pizza. The crust, the filling, the ratios ... I, for one, found it hard to comprehend the allure. But this year I've been working on a project which has involved me baking a few dozen batches of different variations of this Chicago specialty. And you know what? Whatever you want to call it, this thing is really good. Different, but very, very good and getting better.

So the challenge this month is primarily for those who aren't (yet) fans of Chicago-style deep dish to give it a chance. Drop all of your preconceptions and focus on making the best deep dish you can. Experts are welcome to join the fray and provide guidance for the uninitiated. There's a few years of reading you can do on this site's Chicago forum.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
Re: July 2012 Monthly Challenge: "Deep Dish for Non-Chicagoans"
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2012, 02:20:59 PM »
Bueler? Bueler?   ???

Clearly Chicago deep dish doesn't inspire. I guess it was not a great pick for a theme. Well, guess what? The moderators are turning over the theme selection next month to the membership. Here's hoping you can do a better job than I did this month.

Bueler?

« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 02:52:02 PM by Bill/SFNM »

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2012, 02:50:06 PM »
Bill,

I had planned on trying another deep-dish, but got distracted this month.  Hopefully, next month I will be able to make a submission.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

parallei

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2012, 02:54:52 PM »
Bill,

It's way hot in Denver and no A/C!  No indoor oven for me.........

Though I guess I could do one on the 2Stone, if I paid close attention.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 02:56:31 PM by parallei »

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2012, 02:57:26 PM »
Bill,

It's way hot in Denver and no A/C!  No indoor oven for me.........

I understand, Paul. Perhaps we'll do this theme again in the winter.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2012, 02:58:19 PM »
Bill,

I had planned on trying another deep-dish, but got distracted this month.  Hopefully, next month I will be able to make a submission.

Norma

Norma,

I appoint you to pick the theme for next month. Do you accept?

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2012, 03:13:40 PM »
Bueler? Bueler?   ???

OK, here's as close as I can get to deep dish.  :-D
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2012, 03:16:04 PM »
OK, here's as close as I can get to deep dish.  :-D

That could be a an interesting theme: Your Best Photoshopped Pizzas

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2012, 05:09:58 PM »
Norma,

I appoint you to pick the theme for next month. Do you accept?

Bill,

OMG, I will accept, but have no idea of what to pick for a theme.  :-\  I thought you wanted deep-dish for next month again, or are you waiting for cooler months? 

Norma

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2012, 06:02:24 PM »
Bill,

OMG, I will accept, but have no idea of what to pick for a theme.  :-\  I thought you wanted deep-dish for next month again, or are you waiting for cooler months? 

Norma

Norma, you've got 10 days to select a theme; I have confidence you'll do better than I did.

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2012, 07:29:28 PM »
Norma, you've got 10 days to select a theme; I have confidence you'll do better than I did.

Bill,

Thanks for having confindence in me, but the only reason I think members didn't do anything with this challenge is because it is too hot in most areas and deep-dish pizzas take a lot longer to bake.  There were members that made deep-dish pizzas this month, but maybe they didn't know about the monthly challenge. 

Did you ever made a deep-dish?

Norma

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2012, 07:45:51 PM »

Did you ever made a deep-dish?

Norma

Yes, quite a few recently (see the first post in this thread). It took me a while to acquire an appreciation for this great style since the ratios and textures are a major departure from my usual pizzas. But once I began to understand the proper balance of ingredients and to enjoy this style on its own terms, it has become a dish I look forward to making and eating. Since I eschew commercial yeast, my crusts are made from sourdough, so it is likely that some deep-dish purists might question the authenticity.

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2012, 08:06:37 PM »
Since I eschew commercial yeast, my crusts are made from sourdough, so it is likely that some deep-dish purists might question the authenticity.

Bill - Do you do room temp fermentation or cold with the SD? Do you use a particular strain that does better under such low hydration/high oil  conditions? I have made two Chicago pies with IDY and the crusts were really blah - I tossed around some ideas to use SD but never got around to it.

John

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2012, 08:13:48 PM »
Yes, quite a few recently (see the first post in this thread). It took me a while to acquire an appreciation for this great style since the ratios and textures are a major departure from my usual pizzas. But once I began to understand the proper balance of ingredients and to enjoy this style on its own terms, it has become a dish I look forward to making and eating. Since I eschew commercial yeast, my crusts are made from sourdough, so it is likely that some deep-dish purists might question the authenticity.

Bill,

I guess I didnít read your whole first post and since I didnít see any pictures from you really didnít know you have been experimenting.  I am glad you do look forward to making a deep dish and eating it.  I donít know what would be wrong in making the dough with sourdough.  Almost every style of pizzas has been made with sourdough.

Sorry, I didnít read all of your first post on this thread. :-[

Norma

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2012, 08:38:57 PM »
Bill - Do you do room temp fermentation or cold with the SD? Do you use a particular strain that does better under such low hydration/high oil  conditions? I have made two Chicago pies with IDY and the crusts were really blah - I tossed around some ideas to use SD but never got around to it.

John

John,

Room temp ferment and proof. I think I've used most of my cultures with good results. Once you become accustomed to SD, there is no going back. Perhaps it is due to my lack of experience, but this style may be the least forgiving in terms of getting just the right balance of ingredients.    

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2012, 08:54:32 PM »
I made a stuffed deep dish this evening.

Norma

pizzapan