Author Topic: sweet pizza sauce  (Read 6287 times)

Offline Maddog57

sweet pizza sauce
« on: May 31, 2012, 11:00:57 AM »
Ive tried to make a sweet pizza sauce like an Aurelio's pizza but it comes out to sugar tasting for me  .
i was thinking of try corn syrup instead of sugar.
Any thoughts?  Has anyone have a good sweet sauce for pizza?

Offline dmcavanagh

• In Memoriam
Re: sweet pizza sauce
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 11:51:32 AM »
Buy good tomatoes and skip the sweeteners. Try creating a sauce with a can of Classico crushed or ground tomatoes, the tomatoes are naturally sweet all by themself.
Rest In Peace - November 1, 2014

Offline rcbaughn

• Supporting Member
  • Love my pup and pizza!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 01:41:23 PM »
Whenever I have sweetened my pizza sauce I have used a local brand of Alabama wildflower honey. You get the sweetness without getting sugary flavors or graininess. I would think that it would be far more flavorful than using corn syrup as well. I have always thought that molasses or sorghum would make for an interesting sauce flavor-ant since I typically use molasses in my dough recipe over sugar or honey. I actually may try that tonight and report back to you on it.
More is better..... and too much is just right.

Offline Maddog57

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2012, 03:53:50 PM »
Thank you both for your response;
normal sauce i have no problem with, i use 7/11 products which cost more but taste is awesome.
I want to offer a SWEET SAUCE for those who  like Chicago type sauces found this way.
I was told some years ago to cook the sauce to complete break down the sugar then frig over night to use to sauce the pizza.

As i mentioned in the newbee forum i used to own a Rosatti's pizza in Chicago but the sauce was a natural tomatoe taste, not sweet.

Thanks again gentelman

Offline Maddog57

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2012, 05:16:50 PM »
Like spaghetti sauce i make which is on the sweet side(no sugar added) but from the use of the trinity method.  I'll try this as a natural sweetener cooked down and strained out, then refrigerate over night.  Maybe try crushed or ground tomato is the only question.
This was my wifes idea since our spaghetti sauce is very flavorfull but sweet.

Any thought or anyone try this for a natural sweet sauce for pizza????

Thanks again

Offline SinoChef

• Not delivery ha ....OMG you.... Digiornoed me
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2012, 05:36:43 PM »

When I have to bend out some sweetness in any sauce, I use some gastrique.

A little dab will do ya...

http://www.thenibble.com/reviews/main/sauces/gastrique.asp

But some non commercial honey is also a good way to go.

Offline Maddog57

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2012, 10:55:01 PM »
Sinochef, any examples for a sweet pizza sauce?  A reduction to add to a tomato sauce?  Would i still have to cook the pizza sauce to add the reduction?
thanks

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2012, 11:34:14 PM »
To me, a "sweet" sauce is a balanced cooked sauce.  Just enough sweet to balance the salt and acidity of the tomatoes, and with some spices that accentuate the flavor like crushed clove.

Reply 100 is pretty representative of my sweet sauce.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,11391.100.html

Offline SinoChef

• Not delivery ha ....OMG you.... Digiornoed me
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2012, 08:46:31 AM »
Sinochef, any examples for a sweet pizza sauce?  A reduction to add to a tomato sauce?  Would I still have to cook the pizza sauce to add the reduction?
thanks

Sorry, i did not see they had a dessert recipe linked to the definition.

I will just add a spoon at a time. I have not tried it with an uncooked sauce, as usually I am trying to repair, or bend out some kind of flaw with the sauce, as I am finishing it. Or when I am using low grade canned tomato products.

http://www.ehow.com/how_8184103_stepbystep-guide-caramelize-sugar.html

Skip the water, and just use straight sugar. Equal parts balsamic vinegar to sugar. Don't worry if the sugar gets a little burnt. It adds to the complexity.

So 1 cup sugar, let it get good color in the pan, and then add 1 cup Balsamic.  Make sure you pan is large enough, when the liquid hits the caramel, it going to sputter. (and never touch molten hot caramel sugar with your fingers)

I don't know Chicago style pizza that well, but I think they like to really cook their sauces. So I would be adding this at the final stage, until you get the sweet you are after.

You might also try some cheap port wine instead of balsamic.

I had a cook that would make this great spaghetti sauce using orange juice and dried tarragon. Add 1/4 part of OJ, to your sauce and simmer it until it reduces back to original mass. Sweet, but not a direct sugar taste.

Hope that helps....

(oh, and if you have not dealt with caramel before, don't bother trying to scrub your pan clean. Just fill with water and boil till the mess dissolves)

« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 08:49:01 AM by SinoChef »