Author Topic: Pizza is Beautiful  (Read 11323 times)

Offline pizzablogger

Re: Pizza is Beautiful
« Reply #80 on: August 15, 2012, 12:45:49 PM »
What filter did you use on the lower center pic?

Craig, that filter is the Ink Outlines. --K
"It's Baltimore, gentlemen, the gods will not save you." --Burrell

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #81 on: August 15, 2012, 12:53:24 PM »
Art form?  Artistic expression...

Isn't the pizza itself an expressive form of art, before the photograph even exists? I already know Craig kinda sees it that way because of what he said about how he arranges his cheese. So isn't all this photoshop stuff essentially the same as photoshopping a picture of the Mona Lisa?

scott123

« Reply #82 on: August 15, 2012, 01:08:33 PM »
Ryan and Don, normally I would agree with you 100%, but, since this particular photo already has such a strong painting-like quality there's nothing wrong, imo, with playing around with subtle-y enhancing that quality.  No one here is talking about replacing the original, just having some fun with it.

I like the Ink Outlines- at least, at that magnification.  The film grain has a beautiful quality as well.

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #83 on: August 15, 2012, 01:19:10 PM »
To me the pizza is art and Craig's picture of the pizza is art as well. But looking at all the filtered effects of his art is kinda like watching Korn cover Pink Floyd, which I've seen in person. (It wasn't pretty.)

No disrespect to the people who have provided altered versions of Craig's art.

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #84 on: August 15, 2012, 01:26:14 PM »
Isn't the pizza itself an expressive form of art, before the photograph even exists? I already know Craig kinda sees it that way because of what he said about how he arranges his cheese. So isn't all this photoshop stuff essentially the same as photoshopping a picture of the Mona Lisa?
Yes,exactly.And the photograph is an expression also, as captured by the photographer(how he sees/chooses to photograph it).I believe there is a lot of debate as to the "artistic" aspect of computer generated/altered photographs.Some say it is not true "art" because a machine made it.....myself, I think it is still an art expression though. It is taking something and adding another way of looking at it....expression.  :)
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #85 on: August 15, 2012, 04:03:11 PM »

Some people have speculated that the Mona Lisa is a self-portrait of Da Vinci. I might not run the painting through a Photoshop filter, but if I saw Leonardo in drag, I'm pretty sure I'd want to take his picture (assuming of course that was possible temporally).

All kidding aside, I do think Neapolitan pizza is art, but I don't necessarily see the Photoshopping the Mona Lisa analogy - at least not when I do it to my own pie. Much art is an image of reality as seen through the eyes of the artist. I have no artistic skills with the possible exception of pizza. Since I don't have the skills to paint, why shouldn't I use the other tools at my disposal to accomplish much the same thing? Personally, I think some of the Photoshop painting filters are very cool. They allowed me to create something I think is very beautiful (in a very different way than the pie itself) that I otherwise could not have done.

I could take a picture of my pizza and run it through a watercolor filter or someone else could paint a watercolor of a pizza. I don't see much of a difference. In the first, the skills are in the making of the pizza, and in the latter they are in the painting. Simply different skills working towards the same end goal.

CL

Pizza is not bread.

Offline slybarman

« Reply #86 on: August 15, 2012, 08:09:25 PM »
http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2012/08/is-this-the-most-beautiful-picture-of-a-pizza.html

Looking at the comments, I guess y'all already knew this was on there. It was kinda cool though becuase it popped up on my Pulse news feed and I said, "I know that picture!"
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 08:16:20 PM by slybarman »

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #87 on: August 16, 2012, 04:12:46 PM »
The whole enchilada.  :)
"It's Baltimore, gentlemen, the gods will not save you." --Burrell

Online Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #88 on: August 17, 2012, 11:05:17 PM »
Let me tell you, until a couple weeks ago, I had no question who made the prettiest pizzas on the forum.  Now I know who makes the best tasting, and I ain't a Neapolitan style type of guy.  It stands alone as good to eat with no regard to style or type.  Craig makes them, and Wheelman does too.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #89 on: August 17, 2012, 11:21:30 PM »
Thanks Tom.  ;D
Pizza is not bread.

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #90 on: August 17, 2012, 11:57:25 PM »
Another humble submission....Chi-town thin,sausage an mushroom pie in home gas oven.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 12:29:00 AM by Chicago Bob »
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #91 on: August 18, 2012, 08:45:22 AM »
Another humble submission....Chi-town thin,sausage an mushroom pie in home gas oven.

That's a classic example of GBD!
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #92 on: August 18, 2012, 08:47:47 AM »
That's a classic example of GBD!

Craig,

GBD = Golden Brown and Delicious?

Peter

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #93 on: August 18, 2012, 09:06:35 AM »
Craig,

GBD = Golden Brown and Delicious?

Peter

Oh Ya!

(I usually leave the "and" out)
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #94 on: August 18, 2012, 09:14:34 AM »
Craig,

I have been quietly building up my list of pizza-related abbreviations and acronyms at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,20056.msg196875.html#msg196875. So far, that list has been a really big hit. If I exclude the number of times I have gone into that thread to add or modify an entry, with each such access counting as a page view, I think that thread has gotten about two real page views in a bit over a month :-D.

Peter

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #95 on: August 18, 2012, 09:24:59 AM »
Probably about 1.9/month - I went a couple times too - but they probably got valuable information.  ;D
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Jet_deck

« Reply #96 on: August 18, 2012, 10:23:36 AM »
TFF = to freakin' funny
IMO = in my opinion
IMHO - in my honest opinion
Ymmv= your mileage may vary
HO= home oven
TSR = The smoke ring
jk / JK / j/k = just kidding
wth = what the hell
wtf = what the ....
stfu = shutup
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #97 on: August 18, 2012, 10:34:07 AM »
TFF = to freakin' funny
IMO = in my opinion
Ymmv= your mileage may vary
HO= home oven
TSR = The smoke ring
jk / JK / j/k = just kidding
wth = what the hell
wtf = what the ....
stfu = shutup

Gene,

Thanks. Actually, Craig had made a similar suggestion but, for now, I have been trying to limit the abbreviations and acronyms to pizza-related matters. However, the thought did cross my mind after Craig's suggestion to perhaps post a link or two at the top or bottom of my list to websites that define the kinds of expressions that you listed. That would save some real estate for my list so that the list doesn't run on forever. Once I am able to determine that I have found most of the pizza-related acronyms and abbreviations, I should be able to check to see if I can incorporate the types of items you mentioned, either in the main list or in a separate list.

Peter

Offline Jet_deck

« Reply #98 on: August 18, 2012, 10:35:25 AM »
Craig knows all the really good ones. :-D
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #99 on: August 18, 2012, 04:09:30 PM »

In My Humble Opinion
Pizza is not bread.