Author Topic: Pizza is Beautiful  (Read 10794 times)

Offline The Gizz

Re: Pizza is Beautiful
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2012, 12:06:56 AM »
Thank you. Yours is also beautiful and one of my all time favorites.

CL

Thanks Craig....It's you and other members here that I have learned so much from. Thank You
Thanks........Tee

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2012, 04:39:47 PM »
I wish you didn't have to put in any words...
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2012, 05:13:00 PM »
All you need are, "Wow"!

Offline juniorballoon

• Supporting Member
    • Sirfoodalot
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2012, 06:53:02 PM »
Favoloso sir! You can almost taste that brocollini and sausage pie. Are the calabrian chiles dried or are they soaked in olive oil. They look moist and tasty.

jb

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2012, 09:32:19 PM »
Favoloso sir! You can almost taste that brocollini and sausage pie. Are the calabrian chiles dried or are they soaked in olive oil. They look moist and tasty.

jb

Soaked in oil. I've never seen dry ones. Do you know where I can get some?
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Don K

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2012, 09:43:32 PM »
Gorgeous Craig!

Maybe you should frame these and hang them in the garage.
The member formerly known as Colonel_Klink

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2012, 09:50:58 PM »
Blow them up to 24x36 and hang them, Genius!

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2012, 10:07:23 PM »
Yeah man...how much you reckon you could let a print go for?  ;D
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2012, 10:19:05 PM »
I'm happy to send the hi-res file to anyone who wants it.
Pizza is not bread.

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2012, 10:26:21 PM »
Seriously....what sausage are you working with on that outlandish beauty? Thanks Craig.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2012, 10:28:17 PM »
It's Johnsonville mild Italian to which I add a bunch of fennel seeds, cayenne pepper, and black pepper.
Pizza is not bread.

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2012, 10:36:18 PM »
Ten-fo....thanks.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2012, 10:49:04 PM »
When properly doctored, it's an order of magnitude better than 99% of the sausage I've had in even the best places.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline juniorballoon

• Supporting Member
    • Sirfoodalot
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2012, 12:35:19 AM »
Soaked in oil. I've never seen dry ones. Do you know where I can get some?

I've never purchased them. When googling "calabrian peppers" it says there are many types. Are these hot? Do they have a brand name? I'm going to look for them at Whole Foods and another local market the Metropolitan. They often have specialty imported items. I will attempt the brocollini, sausage and peppers pizza this weekend, but have little hope it will look like yours.

jb

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2012, 01:29:19 AM »
I've never purchased them. When googling "calabrian peppers" it says there are many types. Are these hot? Do they have a brand name?

jb
Friend....I think it's time you found a new "Google"....or maybe actually look at Craig's garage thread...it's all right there an i like you but please show initiative before bugg'in the grown folks, thanks...I knew you'd understand an we'd always remain friends.... ;)

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2012, 07:11:02 AM »
Bob,

I don't think that juniorballoon (jb) meant any harm. Unlike many other members who join the forum, he at least did a Google search to try to find the answers to his own questions. He has also shown his seriousness about his pizza making by becoming a Supporting Member. They are hard to come by, so I will cut Supporting Members slack all day long. That said, I might pass on a tip to him. And that is to use the Google Custom Search feature that can be accessed at the bottom of the forum's main page. Using the term "Calabrian", or something similar, in that search engine would have taken him to the most relevant threads.

I am always looking for ways to help new members navigate the forum and to make life easier for everyone. That is one of the reasons why I recently added the post at Reply 1 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,13789.msg194999.html#msg194999. I think that that post is reducing the number of questions by members who have chosen not to do any searching before posing their questions to the membership.

Peter

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2012, 08:43:44 AM »
When properly doctored, it's an order of magnitude better than 99% of the sausage I've had in even the best places.

I can attest to the quality of Craig's doctored Johnsonville sausage. If Craig had not told us (at the Texas Summit) how he modified the Johnsonville sausage, I would have thought that it was a specialty sausage that he had purchased from a butcher of specialty Italian food store. I usually buy sausage from Jimmy's in Dallas (their sausage is used by several pizzerias in the Dallas area) but it is good to know that I can easily doctor the Johnsonville sausage to make it better.

Craig, when you use the fennel seeds, do you grind, or crush or "crack" them or do you use them whole? I have used all of these methods but one has to be careful when grinding them because it is easy to overdo it and end up with too potent a flavor. Sometimes I use a blend of cracked and ground fennel seed.

Peter

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2012, 08:46:16 AM »
Bob,

I don't think that juniorballoon (jb) meant any harm. Unlike many other members who join the forum, he at least did a Google search to try to find the answers to his own questions. He has also shown his seriousness about his pizza making by becoming a Supporting Member. They are hard to come by, so I will cut Supporting Members slack all day long. That said, I might pass on a tip to him. And that is to use the Google Custom Search feature that can be accessed at the bottom of the forum's main page. Using the term "Calabrian", or something similar, in that search engine would have taken him to the most relevant threads.

I am always looking for ways to help new members navigate the forum and to make life easier for everyone. That is one of the reasons why I recently added the post at Reply 1 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,13789.msg194999.html#msg194999. I think that that post is reducing the number of questions by members who have chosen not to do any searching before posing their questions to the membership.

Peter
Peter,
I know that junior meant no harm......I have noticed that he is a fun interactive type of pizza person. I am currently experiencing a profound family loss in Germany and think I will prolly take a 'lil time out from the forum here. Thank you for being so kind Peter.
Junior, no hard feelings ok?   ;)

ps. I have noticed that the noob section has a newfound ship shape order to it's folks...good job Peter...
« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 08:50:13 AM by Chicago Bob »

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2012, 09:08:02 AM »
I've never purchased them. When googling "calabrian peppers" it says there are many types. Are these hot? Do they have a brand name? I'm going to look for them at Whole Foods and another local market the Metropolitan. They often have specialty imported items. I will attempt the brocollini, sausage and peppers pizza this weekend, but have little hope it will look like yours.

jb

I've only tried two brands:  Tutto Calabria and Artibel. They are next to impossible to find. These are the ones I generally buy: http://taylors-market.amazonwebstore.com/B000OLBA9A/M/B000OLBA9A.htm I buy 3 or 4 at a time so the shipping doesn't eat me up.

This is the Artibel: http://www.ilmercatoitaliano.net/artibel-calabrian-hot-peppers-small/?gclid=CP-No_DV37ECFUdgTAodGVoAJQ

I was given a jar of these as a gift but have not tried them yet: http://www.markethallfoods.com/products.php?product=Hot-Cherry-Peppers-from-Calabria

The long hot ones from Tutto Calabria and the little round ones from Artibel taste about the same.

They are medium hot, a bit briny, and sometimes on the salty side. There really is nothing else that tastes like them for comparison.

Here is how I usually prep them: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,19368.0.html

Craig
« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 09:27:25 AM by TXCraig1 »
Pizza is not bread.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2012, 09:15:56 AM »
Craig, when you use the fennel seeds, do you grind, or crush or "crack" them or do you use them whole? I have used all of these methods but one has to be careful when grinding them because it is easy to overdo it and end up with too potent a flavor. Sometimes I use a blend of cracked and ground fennel seed.

Peter

I cut the sausage casing open lengthwise and remove the sausage. I pres it out flat to about 1/2 of its original thickness. I then sprinkle the whole seeds across the surface (~1/2tsp). I then give it a pretty even coating of cayenne (adjust for your preferred heat level), and a couple grinds of black pepper. To finish, I cut it in half and stack the halves then press it flat. I repeat this 4 or 5 times to be sure I have a nice even mix then make a ball and put it in the fridge. I like to do it at least a couple hours before using it.

Craig
Pizza is not bread.