Author Topic: Better dough?  (Read 2114 times)

Offline PizzaBrasil

• I Love Pizza!
Better dough?
« on: September 29, 2005, 03:01:34 PM »
Friends:

I need to said, again, there are no words to express my compliments about this fabulous group.
I am spending a lot of time, and gastric acid - LOL, since I read here the first thread about pizza making. I think that I am become a pizzaholic!   ;-)
Every day is a day with something surprising to learn.
I need, really, thanks you all by your efforts and dedication.
I had experimented several of the recipes here mentioned, carefully following instructions or, even, with little changes trying to found the best pizza (it will be always the next one grin).
However, this search/learning between a lot of pizza types is a great challenge to people like me, that do not know to much of the new pizza word that is opening to our eyes (or stomachs, I do not understand the difference)
Looking by an easy path, I have the daringness to ask you, great masters (Pete-zza, Pftaylor, DKM, Pizzanapoletana, Randy, and so many others) about your preferred dough pizza type and recipe.
This will help me (and others, I hope) to walk in the right direction (even if the zigzag way is been remarkable delicious grin)
Thank you again

Ill be always reading and baking
Luis

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Better dough?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2005, 06:00:16 PM »
Luis,

I'm flattered that you should ask me what my favorite style of pizza and recipe are. To be honest, I don't have a single favorite style or recipe. I have many. If you read my posts, you will see that I tend to take a project approach to pizza making. I usually start out with a style or recipe that I think I will like, and then I will try to learn as much about that style and recipe as I can. My standard approach is to research the style in depth, and I will typically look at a lot of different recipes within that style so that I can see how they are structured and how they differ from each other. Then I will generally make several pizzas to find that pizza that best reflects the particular style or recipe and, at the same time, is personally satisfying. My objective in all cases is to master the style or recipe, and I am patient and methodical to that end. I will also develop baker's percents where they do not already exist so that I am not limited by the recipe itself. I want to be able to make any size pizza or crust thickness I want and be assured that the results will be consistent and reproducible from one pizza to the next.

The above approach is the one I have taken with the Lehmann recipe, DKM's deep-dish recipe (on the recipe page), Buzz's deep-dish recipes (where the doughs can be kneaded entirely by hand), Randy's American pie dough recipe, and pizzanapoletana's Neapolitan dough recipe. Thanks to these individuals, I was fortunate in that I had very good recipes to start with. So, I would rank these recipes as among my favorites at the moment. I might add that I also enjoy pizzas that are based on the use of natural starters (preferments) because of the powerful flavors they produce in just about any crust.

In due course, there are styles and recipes that I hope to devote more attention to as time and scheduling permit. This includes the Raquel and Sophia dough recipes, some of the A16 and DiFara reverse-engineering doughs, and the thin-style doughs, especially the cracker-style doughs, which I have only recently started to research. And ultimately I expect to gravitate to the California style and focaccia style pizzas. So I expect that over time I will add several other styles and recipes to my growing "favorites" list.

Peter

Offline apizza

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2005, 07:24:23 PM »
Well PizzaBrasil I am not at a level to help you with a dough recipe, but I must tell you I think the picture is beautiful. It just suggests a really enjoyable time is near. Good luck in your quest.

Offline PizzaPolice

• Supporting Member
  • WFO-Where Art & Physics meet - Heat is the Arbiter
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2005, 07:30:10 PM »
Luis - One thing I've learned after many late night experiments - Protonix.  It chases away the bad gastric acid.
Funny how I never had the problem before I discovered this cool place.

Offline pizzanapoletana

• Pizza Napoletana as it was made in 1730!
    • Forno Napoletano - Pizza Ovens
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2005, 06:36:48 AM »
 A Mature dough is easy to digest both from the sugar and proteins point of view. That is way a relative long maturation depending on the flour, it is so important...

Ciao

Offline PizzaPolice

• Supporting Member
  • WFO-Where Art & Physics meet - Heat is the Arbiter
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2005, 01:52:17 PM »
You are 100% on the money, sir.  I use a 48 Hr. cold rise.  MMmmm.  However, the pesky tomato sauce seems to be the culprit.  Surely, I could tame the Ph.  But that wouldn't be right.