Author Topic: My Dough  (Read 994 times)

Offline nkozak

My Dough
« on: June 02, 2012, 11:50:24 AM »
I thought I'd share my dough and see what people thought of it.

Poolish Starter for 16 hours:

200g KAAP flour
200g water
pinch IDY

Dough:

Starter
400g KAAP flour
200g KA Bread Flour
305g water
16g salt
1/2 teaspoon IDY

90 Minute rise, then stretch, fold, separate into balls, and another 90 minutes. I thought it came out pretty good, but am always looking for suggestions.

Pictured is a Fig, Prosciutto, Arugula on a Margehrita.
Nick

parallei

Re: My Dough
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2012, 12:22:09 PM »
I think you pie looks really good. :chef:

How did the dough taste and handle with the method you used?  Also, what did you bake it in/on?

Offline nkozak

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2012, 12:39:36 PM »
It had a very rich taste and a mild hint of sourness, I think because of the poolish. It had a very slight chew, probably from the bread flour and a slight crispness on the cornicione. Not quite as tender and soft as if I just use 100% AP or Caputo, but still pretty soft. It slapped out into an even 12" pretty easily. I baked it in an 800 degree wood-fired beast I made and it cooked in under 2 minutes.

I have more dough balls in the fridge that I will try today and see how the flavor developed in cold storage after a day.
Nick

parallei

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2012, 02:23:51 PM »
I baked it in an 800 degree wood-fired beast I made and it cooked in under 2 minutes.

Nick -  I see.  I didn't make the connection with your beast here:  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,19089.msg188089.html#msg188089

Give it a pat on the head and tell it "Good Beast, Good Beast" for me....nice work. :chef:

Offline nkozak

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2012, 04:37:51 PM »
I cooked the rest of the dough today and it had a little more flavor than yesterday, but a little less oven spring than yesterday. I may have not let the dough warm up long enough. It was out of the fridge for about 2 hours and not as relaxed as it was when it was fresh.

Nick

Offline Jbravo

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2012, 05:13:26 PM »
  Looks so good!

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2012, 07:25:49 PM »
Great job on your oven and resulting pies. Looks delicious. Your second dough ball may have over fermented, which would result in less elasticity and less oven spring due to gluten breakdown.

John

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2012, 07:53:55 PM »
That pie looks incredible. What I would pay for a slice of it right now...
Pizza is not bread.

Offline nkozak

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2012, 12:22:52 PM »
Great job on your oven and resulting pies. Looks delicious. Your second dough ball may have over fermented, which would result in less elasticity and less oven spring due to gluten breakdown.

John

I think you're right John. I should use less yeast if I intend on keeping it for more than a day.
Nick