Author Topic: Dream come true  (Read 16302 times)

Offline jak123

Dream come true
« on: June 02, 2012, 07:38:42 PM »
After years and years and months of wanting to do it, i have finally done it....I pulled the trigger, found a location, negotiated it for 7 long months and finally, this week received the keys. I will be opening up my restaurant in abut 90 days.  Thanks to this community for such an awesome forum. I have not been a true contributor, but i have been actively watching this forum for years and i thank this community for keeping me focused and helping me with the relentless pursuit of my dream.

Now the hard-work begins as i transform an old BBQ joint into an eclectic neo style pizzeria. Wish me luck, i know i'll need some.

best,
Joshua

Online TXCraig1

Re: Dream come true
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2012, 07:41:41 PM »
That's awesome! You're living the (my) dream. Please post pictures of your progress.

I wish you the best of luck. If I can help, please feel free to ask.

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Offline jak123

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2012, 07:57:50 PM »
Thanks Craig...really appreciate it....maybe you can come down to Austin to visit...and you know that i almost bought your oven from Darsky before you did....i just never thought of storing it in my garage until i was ready :) My loss....anyways, hope to turn out some great pies....

The name is PIEOUS...simply devoted to great food. And since it's an old BBQ joint with a great smoker, you can count on some smoked meats coming out of that bad boy....and some incredible sourdough breads....pies, both neo and fresh fruit and cream. It's sure to be an eclectic mix....I will set up a facebook page soon to track the progress, i'll let the community know when.

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2012, 08:25:52 PM »
Thanks Craig...really appreciate it....maybe you can come down to Austin to visit...and you know that i almost bought your oven from Darsky before you did....i just never thought of storing it in my garage until i was ready :) My loss....anyways, hope to turn out some great pies....

Heck yes, I will for sure. Please invite me to the grand opening (or before  ;D).

You're probably the 10th person to tell me that about the oven. Guess I'm pretty lucky.

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2012, 08:32:58 PM »
A new place in Austin?  How can I help you?

Offline jak123

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2012, 08:36:23 PM »
absolutely...you can come down early and help me pre-flight if you want....i'll keep you posted.

I keep thinking, Mangieri, in the early days, didn't use a mixer....what if i didnt...i may be crazy, but, my hand mixed pies at home are always better than ones machined....i know my sourdough bread dough really benefits from hand mixing.

Offline jak123

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2012, 08:58:58 PM »
A new place in Austin?  How can I help you?

well, for starters, i have 2 layers of linoleum to get through :), then we'll need to polish the concrete and seal it...just kidding. I'm sure i'm going to be needing tons of help....what's your story, what do you want to do? Where abouts are you in town?

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2012, 09:11:27 PM »
Masonry is what I do, I live in far South Austin.

Offline jak123

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2012, 09:22:30 PM »
oh, good, you'll be able to come visit me because i am far south too. We bought the old cartwrights bbq...know the location?

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2012, 10:44:42 PM »
I am familiar with the area, but not the joint.

buceriasdon

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2012, 09:54:50 AM »
Welcome to the forum and I wish you all the best.
Don

Offline jak123

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2012, 03:52:01 PM »
Thanks Don.

Offline Jet_deck

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2012, 04:01:51 PM »
Do you think you can get the bbq smoke smell out of the oven to turn out bread, or not really concerned about it?  Im about 4 hours south of you, break a pizza.
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2012, 04:09:03 PM »
oh, good, you'll be able to come visit me because i am far south too. We bought the old cartwrights bbq...know the location?

Was that the place on I35 a couple miles south of 71 across from Holt Cat?
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2012, 04:12:59 PM »
No, it is over towards Dripping, by the Nutty Brown.

Offline jak123

« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2012, 04:33:53 PM »
Do you think you can get the bbq smoke smell out of the oven to turn out bread, or not really concerned about it?  Im about 4 hours south of you, break a pizza.

It's not really an oven, its a full fledged $25k smoker, and i spent the morning cleaning buckets/gallons! of grease out of her. I thought about trying it for bread and baking a la tartine method in vessels, but the thing just does not heat up enough, 350 is max temp.  But, since i have this beautiful smoker and bread is something i will be doing(wait'll you see my sourdough boules), we will be making/smoking interesting sandwich meats.

You are welcome to come up anytime you want to check us out. I will also throw it out to the forum, we'll be looking for pizza men, but not just ordinary pizza men....men(or women) who are foodies, committed to the craft and hell bent on serving great food.

Offline jak123

« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2012, 04:34:44 PM »
Was that the place on I35 a couple miles south of 71 across from Holt Cat?

yeah, exactly, out by the nutty brown half way between Austin and Dripping springs on 290.

Offline jak123

« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2012, 04:46:03 PM »
PIEOUS (if you dont know what pious means, please look it up) came to me as a stroke of genius....or at least I thought the name  was. Devotion to Pizza and sourcing/growing all the ingredients as well as the other handmade items we will sell will be our mission. Think of all the great tshirt slogans and signs i can make. or even the special, "Tonight's Devotion: Craig's meyer lemon pizza"

It's going to be an eclectic space and since I am not going for VPN or solely to have a pizzeria, we're going to also make fresh fruit pies, cream pies, dairy fresh ice creams, incredible sandwiches on house smoked meats and house baked naturally risen sourdough, fresh salads, beer and wine (both from keg!), a morning espresso/coffee program with fresh baked pastries, of course we plan on pulling our fresh mozz too.

I envision a creamy vanilla icecream, served with an excellent olive oil drizzle and a little nice salt...big as your face caramel rolls served with your coffee in the morning....pizza's so good that you'll want to eat them everyday!

I really don't care how hard i am going to have to work to get it up and running and to keep it running....because it's my passion. I like serving people the food that i like to eat and i like to see their reactions. It's almost more enjoyable to me. But I do like to eat the food i make. I'm so damn picky that if i can make food that pleases me, i believe that i will be able to please the community that i am serving.

Can't thank this community enough for being here.

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2012, 04:53:57 PM »
You have my attention  ;D
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Jet_deck

« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2012, 05:01:40 PM »
What do you have in mind for the pizza oven?
Can't wait to see how the cards fall.
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends