Author Topic: Dream come true  (Read 13646 times)

Offline jak123

Re: Dream come true
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2012, 05:11:06 PM »
You have my attention  ;D

Thanks Craig, it means a lot. It's funny, I'm not religious at all, every time someone asks me what church i go to I respond, "The Church of Wells Fargo." I say in jest.  But in reality, food is my religion, hence, PIEOUS.

Offline jak123

« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2012, 05:15:58 PM »
What do you have in mind for the pizza oven?
Can't wait to see how the cards fall.

Jet, if you have not figured me out by now, i'll just tell you, i'm a bit of a freak. (not like the rest of ya'll are normal!).  But, to answer your question, wood fired, of course. But here is the thing. PIEOUS will not be known as the place that makes great Stefano Ferraro pies. I joke a bit and I approve of all his ovens and many others as well, but i will not advertise any specific manufacturer or builder. The pies will speak for themselves and I want to prove to myself and others that although the oven is important, it's not the end all be all. Just look at that dude in SF making pizza in a modified weber grill.

Anyways, that's my 2 cents.

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2012, 05:21:19 PM »
I'll accept your .02, and enjoy your enthusiam.
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2012, 06:29:52 PM »
Good luck, wish I wasn't about 1,500 miles away, I might be tempted to apply for a job.

Offline jak123

« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2012, 08:38:53 PM »
I'm such a Texan....but really i am not, moved here 6 years ago from LA via NY..but i digress....i'm going to "smoke" some flour...i dont know for how long, nor do i know how much....but i have an inkling that i could make a helluva smoked meat sandwich on smoked sourdough bread....and for those of you not familiar with montreal smoked meat, i will be doing a version Texas style at PIEOUS....can't wait.

Anyone ever smoke flour? (Not buds, FLOUR!)

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2012, 08:42:42 PM »
I tried it, and it added flavor, but you have to use it as a flavoring agent not flour.

Offline jak123

« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2012, 09:10:15 PM »
why, does the smoking render the flour useless?

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2012, 09:21:31 PM »
It won't rise, if that is what you mean.

Offline jak123

« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2012, 10:01:40 PM »
i wonder why....how high a temp was your smoker? I was thinking almost a cold smoke, like under 150 degrees.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2012, 10:18:59 PM »
Smoking is a good way to preserve meat. The chemicals from the smoke might kill yeast.
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2012, 06:33:21 AM »
I smoke my own cheese, and I have noticed that although it doesn't eliminate older cheese from molding, it does delay the process for quite some time.

Offline Alligator

« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2012, 10:08:24 AM »
PIEOUS (if you dont know what pious means, please look it up) came to me as a stroke of genius....or at least I thought the name  was. Devotion to Pizza and sourcing/growing all the ingredients as well as the other handmade items we will sell will be our mission. Think of all the great tshirt slogans and signs i can make. or even the special, "Tonight's Devotion: Craig's meyer lemon pizza"

It's going to be an eclectic space and since I am not going for VPN or solely to have a pizzeria, we're going to also make fresh fruit pies, cream pies, dairy fresh ice creams, incredible sandwiches on house smoked meats and house baked naturally risen sourdough, fresh salads, beer and wine (both from keg!), a morning espresso/coffee program with fresh baked pastries, of course we plan on pulling our fresh mozz too.

I envision a creamy vanilla icecream, served with an excellent olive oil drizzle and a little nice salt...big as your face caramel rolls served with your coffee in the morning....pizza's so good that you'll want to eat them everyday!

I really don't care how hard i am going to have to work to get it up and running and to keep it running....because it's my passion. I like serving people the food that i like to eat and i like to see their reactions. It's almost more enjoyable to me. But I do like to eat the food i make. I'm so damn picky that if i can make food that pleases me, i believe that i will be able to please the community that i am serving.

Can't thank this community enough for being here.

Sounds like an awesome menu!  Post up some pictures when you get to that point.  Thanks!

Offline lawman

« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2012, 10:57:40 AM »
Mmmm... BBQ and Pizza! Just add the last of the government recommended food groups--beer, and you could eat there every day.

Offline jak123

« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2012, 08:41:58 PM »
for certain there will be beer....and of course, we'll show some pics....got a long haul ahead trying to remodel this joint.

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2012, 08:33:47 AM »
I stopped by your place yesterday, no one home.  It was around lunch time though.  Looks like a good spot.

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2012, 10:28:23 PM »
joshua, i love your attitude. the oven doesn't assure a good product,the person manning it does. your approach is refreshing.let the food talk!!

Offline jak123

« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2012, 08:31:34 AM »
I stopped by your place yesterday, no one home.  It was around lunch time though.  Looks like a good spot.

Ah %$#, sorry i missed you. Still playing around with designing the space and getting all the I's dotted and T's crossed, but yes, it's going to be great spot. Got the 60 day TABC sign in place!

I'm going to try to have a "chefs garden" in front as you drive up, where the red tip photinias are planted. I really like the way a little cutting garden looks and hopefully will be able to provide some fresh cut ingredients. The Nomad guys in Philly do a great garden and use everything they grow.

give me some warning and i'll look forward to meeting you...

could use some advice...I've got a bunch of ugly, yellow, grease stained FRP panels that i need to do something with. Wondering if i have to pull them down or can i simply add tile right over them...

Offline jak123

« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2012, 08:36:45 AM »
joshua, i love your attitude. the oven doesn't assure a good product,the person manning it does. your approach is refreshing.let the food talk!!

Thanks man. Pizza, in its best form, to me anyways, is the perfect peasant food. I'm betting the peasants didnt use gold tiled stefano ferrara ovens :)

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2012, 09:13:38 AM »

I'm going to try to have a "chefs garden" in front as you drive up, where the red tip photinias are planted. I really like the way a little cutting garden looks and hopefully will be able to provide some fresh cut ingredients....

Two quick thoughts.  I love the idea of the chefs garden in the front and I would do it.  BUT, I would never use anything out of the garden for the restaurant. Anybody could tamper with the plants without your knowledge.  They could take a leak on them for all you know...

There is an Italian painter semi- near you, if you have a place for a mural.  Jay at Cane Rosso used this guy in Deep Ellum.  Third picture down.  Just sayin'.....

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,13157.msg129228.html#msg129228

http://www.franksart.net/
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 09:15:59 AM by Jet_deck »
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline jak123

« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2012, 11:33:47 AM »
I've thought of that, the tampering...but i think i have a solution....
A. the area i am in is pretty "country charming" not to say that someone couldnt do it, but i doubt they would.
B. Access will be limited by a fence (a nice looking one)
C. I will wash everything i harvest....

But i am not talking about lots of stuff, maybe a selection of nice herbs, garlic tops, etc....

pizzapan