Author Topic: Dream come true  (Read 19858 times)

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
Re: Dream come true
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2012, 08:42:42 PM »
I tried it, and it added flavor, but you have to use it as a flavoring agent not flour.

Offline jak123

« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2012, 09:10:15 PM »
why, does the smoking render the flour useless?

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2012, 09:21:31 PM »
It won't rise, if that is what you mean.

Offline jak123

« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2012, 10:01:40 PM »
i wonder why....how high a temp was your smoker? I was thinking almost a cold smoke, like under 150 degrees.

Offline TXCraig1

• Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2012, 10:18:59 PM »
Smoking is a good way to preserve meat. The chemicals from the smoke might kill yeast.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline dmcavanagh

• In Memoriam
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2012, 06:33:21 AM »
I smoke my own cheese, and I have noticed that although it doesn't eliminate older cheese from molding, it does delay the process for quite some time.
Rest In Peace - November 1, 2014

Offline Alligator

« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2012, 10:08:24 AM »
PIEOUS (if you dont know what pious means, please look it up) came to me as a stroke of genius....or at least I thought the name  was. Devotion to Pizza and sourcing/growing all the ingredients as well as the other handmade items we will sell will be our mission. Think of all the great tshirt slogans and signs i can make. or even the special, "Tonight's Devotion: Craig's meyer lemon pizza"

It's going to be an eclectic space and since I am not going for VPN or solely to have a pizzeria, we're going to also make fresh fruit pies, cream pies, dairy fresh ice creams, incredible sandwiches on house smoked meats and house baked naturally risen sourdough, fresh salads, beer and wine (both from keg!), a morning espresso/coffee program with fresh baked pastries, of course we plan on pulling our fresh mozz too.

I envision a creamy vanilla icecream, served with an excellent olive oil drizzle and a little nice salt...big as your face caramel rolls served with your coffee in the morning....pizza's so good that you'll want to eat them everyday!

I really don't care how hard i am going to have to work to get it up and running and to keep it running....because it's my passion. I like serving people the food that i like to eat and i like to see their reactions. It's almost more enjoyable to me. But I do like to eat the food i make. I'm so damn picky that if i can make food that pleases me, i believe that i will be able to please the community that i am serving.

Can't thank this community enough for being here.

Sounds like an awesome menu!  Post up some pictures when you get to that point.  Thanks!

Offline lawman

« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2012, 10:57:40 AM »
Mmmm... BBQ and Pizza! Just add the last of the government recommended food groups--beer, and you could eat there every day.

Offline jak123

« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2012, 08:41:58 PM »
for certain there will be beer....and of course, we'll show some pics....got a long haul ahead trying to remodel this joint.

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2012, 08:33:47 AM »
I stopped by your place yesterday, no one home.  It was around lunch time though.  Looks like a good spot.

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2012, 10:28:23 PM »
joshua, i love your attitude. the oven doesn't assure a good product,the person manning it does. your approach is refreshing.let the food talk!!

Offline jak123

« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2012, 08:31:34 AM »
I stopped by your place yesterday, no one home.  It was around lunch time though.  Looks like a good spot.

Ah %$#, sorry i missed you. Still playing around with designing the space and getting all the I's dotted and T's crossed, but yes, it's going to be great spot. Got the 60 day TABC sign in place!

I'm going to try to have a "chefs garden" in front as you drive up, where the red tip photinias are planted. I really like the way a little cutting garden looks and hopefully will be able to provide some fresh cut ingredients. The Nomad guys in Philly do a great garden and use everything they grow.

give me some warning and i'll look forward to meeting you...

could use some advice...I've got a bunch of ugly, yellow, grease stained FRP panels that i need to do something with. Wondering if i have to pull them down or can i simply add tile right over them...

Offline jak123

« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2012, 08:36:45 AM »
joshua, i love your attitude. the oven doesn't assure a good product,the person manning it does. your approach is refreshing.let the food talk!!

Thanks man. Pizza, in its best form, to me anyways, is the perfect peasant food. I'm betting the peasants didnt use gold tiled stefano ferrara ovens :)

Offline Jet_deck

« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2012, 09:13:38 AM »

I'm going to try to have a "chefs garden" in front as you drive up, where the red tip photinias are planted. I really like the way a little cutting garden looks and hopefully will be able to provide some fresh cut ingredients....

Two quick thoughts.  I love the idea of the chefs garden in the front and I would do it.  BUT, I would never use anything out of the garden for the restaurant. Anybody could tamper with the plants without your knowledge.  They could take a leak on them for all you know...

There is an Italian painter semi- near you, if you have a place for a mural.  Jay at Cane Rosso used this guy in Deep Ellum.  Third picture down.  Just sayin'.....

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,13157.msg129228.html#msg129228

http://www.franksart.net/
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 09:15:59 AM by Jet_deck »
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline jak123

« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2012, 11:33:47 AM »
I've thought of that, the tampering...but i think i have a solution....
A. the area i am in is pretty "country charming" not to say that someone couldnt do it, but i doubt they would.
B. Access will be limited by a fence (a nice looking one)
C. I will wash everything i harvest....

But i am not talking about lots of stuff, maybe a selection of nice herbs, garlic tops, etc....

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #40 on: June 10, 2012, 03:43:11 PM »
Very cool! I'm super jealous. I'll move to Texas and help you if you will hire me! My wife and I are moving in just over a month and she keeps begging me to make it Texas instead of Los Angeles.

Offline jak123

« Reply #41 on: June 10, 2012, 05:19:33 PM »
I moved to Austin from LA...I can't guarantee I will hire you, but i will give you a shot....you have experience or just pizza passion...either is fine?

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #42 on: June 10, 2012, 05:35:27 PM »
joshua, i love your attitude. the oven doesn't assure a good product,the person manning it does.

Yes, to the extent made possible by the oven. The oven may not be the most important factor, but it does matter - a lot.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."

Offline jak123

« Reply #43 on: June 10, 2012, 05:47:48 PM »
Craig, yes, for sure....I'm just a bit tainted i guess, every time someone mentions Stefano Ferrara all i see is that gold encrusted(tiled) oven that Donatella put in her restaurant. You need a good oven....but it's only a piece of the puzzle.

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #44 on: June 10, 2012, 05:59:07 PM »
The oven is important only to the extent that it will provide the temperature range you require for your desired style of pizza.  My Uncle for example uses a gas assist WFO in his Italian restaurant, but he does not do Neapolitan, he does Roman style flavored by his experience owning mid 70s Pizza Inns.  Thin and crispy with fresh ingredients and bright sauce.  He normally runs it at 450 degrees.  Some might see that as a waste (like me), but he is perfectly satisfied with the pizza he makes, and I have to admit is very good.  Note that he has an Italian restaurant that has pizza as a menu item.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #45 on: June 10, 2012, 06:00:13 PM »
Craig, yes, for sure....I'm just a bit tainted i guess, every time someone mentions Stefano Ferrara all i see is that gold encrusted(tiled) oven that Donatella put in her restaurant. You need a good oven....but it's only a piece of the puzzle.

A oven certainly doesn't need to be gold encrusted. I have it on good authority that you can make a pretty good pie in a plain white oven with lots of dings and cracks...
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 06:06:37 PM by TXCraig1 »

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #46 on: June 10, 2012, 06:04:55 PM »
The oven is important only to the extent that it will provide the temperature range you require for your desired style of pizza. 

I used to think that too, but it is not that simple. For certain styles anyway, the balance of conductive, convective, and radiant heat is very important. This is a function of oven design, not just an ability to achieve a given temperature.

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #47 on: June 10, 2012, 06:21:39 PM »
Pizza doesn't care where the heat comes from.  It is only crucial for one style of pizza, Neapolitan, which requires extremely high and balanced heat.  For the rest of the wide range of pizza styles, it can be managed with what you have.

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #48 on: June 10, 2012, 06:28:56 PM »
You need a good oven....but it's only a piece of the puzzle.
Having a knowledgeable pizza making is always very important. For a commercial operation it's also important to have all the right equipment and the most important one is the oven. If you want to do high quantities and not have to struggle to bake more than 2 pizzas at a time because your worried about the other not baking properly then the right oven is of utmost importance.

The only two people on here who have had both a cast refractory oven and a Neapolitan low dome oven is Jay Jerrier and Matthew. I don't want to speck for them but I guarantee you they wouldn't be able to do the volumes they are doing now in they're Neapolitan low dome ovens with such ease as they would be in another cast refractory.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #49 on: June 10, 2012, 06:55:29 PM »
Pizza doesn't care where the heat comes from.  It is only crucial for one style of pizza, Neapolitan, which requires extremely high and balanced heat.  For the rest of the wide range of pizza styles, it can be managed with what you have.

No? Then why use a stone?  ;) Pizza does care where the heat comes from - just in some styles (NP and the like) it matters a lot more. I agree that you can manage the heat to get good results in many circumstances. If the goal is a great NP or similar style however, I'm simply suggesting that managing your way around a compremise oven may not be the best way to go. I guess I thought we were talking about NP because of all the SF discussion.