Author Topic: Dream come true  (Read 14538 times)

Offline jeffereynelson

Re: Dream come true
« Reply #40 on: June 10, 2012, 03:43:11 PM »
Very cool! I'm super jealous. I'll move to Texas and help you if you will hire me! My wife and I are moving in just over a month and she keeps begging me to make it Texas instead of Los Angeles.

Offline jak123

« Reply #41 on: June 10, 2012, 05:19:33 PM »
I moved to Austin from LA...I can't guarantee I will hire you, but i will give you a shot....you have experience or just pizza passion...either is fine?

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #42 on: June 10, 2012, 05:35:27 PM »
joshua, i love your attitude. the oven doesn't assure a good product,the person manning it does.

Yes, to the extent made possible by the oven. The oven may not be the most important factor, but it does matter - a lot.
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline jak123

« Reply #43 on: June 10, 2012, 05:47:48 PM »
Craig, yes, for sure....I'm just a bit tainted i guess, every time someone mentions Stefano Ferrara all i see is that gold encrusted(tiled) oven that Donatella put in her restaurant. You need a good oven....but it's only a piece of the puzzle.

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #44 on: June 10, 2012, 05:59:07 PM »
The oven is important only to the extent that it will provide the temperature range you require for your desired style of pizza.  My Uncle for example uses a gas assist WFO in his Italian restaurant, but he does not do Neapolitan, he does Roman style flavored by his experience owning mid 70s Pizza Inns.  Thin and crispy with fresh ingredients and bright sauce.  He normally runs it at 450 degrees.  Some might see that as a waste (like me), but he is perfectly satisfied with the pizza he makes, and I have to admit is very good.  Note that he has an Italian restaurant that has pizza as a menu item.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #45 on: June 10, 2012, 06:00:13 PM »
Craig, yes, for sure....I'm just a bit tainted i guess, every time someone mentions Stefano Ferrara all i see is that gold encrusted(tiled) oven that Donatella put in her restaurant. You need a good oven....but it's only a piece of the puzzle.

A oven certainly doesn't need to be gold encrusted. I have it on good authority that you can make a pretty good pie in a plain white oven with lots of dings and cracks...
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 06:06:37 PM by TXCraig1 »

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #46 on: June 10, 2012, 06:04:55 PM »
The oven is important only to the extent that it will provide the temperature range you require for your desired style of pizza. 

I used to think that too, but it is not that simple. For certain styles anyway, the balance of conductive, convective, and radiant heat is very important. This is a function of oven design, not just an ability to achieve a given temperature.

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #47 on: June 10, 2012, 06:21:39 PM »
Pizza doesn't care where the heat comes from.  It is only crucial for one style of pizza, Neapolitan, which requires extremely high and balanced heat.  For the rest of the wide range of pizza styles, it can be managed with what you have.

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #48 on: June 10, 2012, 06:28:56 PM »
You need a good oven....but it's only a piece of the puzzle.
Having a knowledgeable pizza making is always very important. For a commercial operation it's also important to have all the right equipment and the most important one is the oven. If you want to do high quantities and not have to struggle to bake more than 2 pizzas at a time because your worried about the other not baking properly then the right oven is of utmost importance.

The only two people on here who have had both a cast refractory oven and a Neapolitan low dome oven is Jay Jerrier and Matthew. I don't want to speck for them but I guarantee you they wouldn't be able to do the volumes they are doing now in they're Neapolitan low dome ovens with such ease as they would be in another cast refractory.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #49 on: June 10, 2012, 06:55:29 PM »
Pizza doesn't care where the heat comes from.  It is only crucial for one style of pizza, Neapolitan, which requires extremely high and balanced heat.  For the rest of the wide range of pizza styles, it can be managed with what you have.

No? Then why use a stone?  ;) Pizza does care where the heat comes from - just in some styles (NP and the like) it matters a lot more. I agree that you can manage the heat to get good results in many circumstances. If the goal is a great NP or similar style however, I'm simply suggesting that managing your way around a compremise oven may not be the best way to go. I guess I thought we were talking about NP because of all the SF discussion.

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #50 on: June 10, 2012, 07:11:02 PM »
I don't use a stone, don't even own one.

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #51 on: June 10, 2012, 07:25:55 PM »
Remember I am an anarchist.  This pizza used Pillsbury thin crust dough, HEB spinach and Parmesan spaghetti sauce, HEB pepperoni and nacho sliced jalapenos, coarse grated provolone and was cooked for 8 minutes at 550 degrees.  It is delicious, I am eating it as I type. 

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #52 on: June 10, 2012, 07:36:01 PM »
Remember I am an anarchist.  This pizza used Pillsbury thin crust dough, HEB spinach and Parmesan spaghetti sauce, HEB pepperoni and nacho sliced jalapenos, coarse grated provolone and was cooked for 8 minutes at 550 degrees.  It is delicious, I am eating it as I type. 

I wish I was there eating it with you. All I have is some fresh snapper sushi (the rice just finished).  ;D

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #53 on: June 10, 2012, 07:37:00 PM »
Mmmm, Snapper.....

Offline jak123

« Reply #54 on: June 10, 2012, 07:47:13 PM »
I love that i just started a fight....

To me, all i really said is that you dont need a SF oven to make great pizza and that I dont want to stake my fame/fortune/well being/ability to make a living or reputation of PIEOUS on his oven being the centerpiece.

I may have a hard time explaining myself sometimes...i just feel like, if i were to get an SF oven, I would enclose it in a metal box, hide its shape and would not promote SF in my restaurant...make sense?

Offline Nebula

« Reply #55 on: June 10, 2012, 07:47:41 PM »
To get back on the garden topic, the Eastside Cafe on Manor Road in Austin(you can find images on Google if you haven't been there) has a fairly large garden where they grow a variety of veggies and you can walk right through it. So you could possibly get in contact with them and see what they have to do.

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #56 on: June 10, 2012, 07:49:14 PM »
If you are not going to promote a name oven, why not just build one yourself for half the cost and exactly to your specifications?

Offline jak123

« Reply #57 on: June 10, 2012, 07:49:32 PM »
Thank you Nebula.

Offline jak123

« Reply #58 on: June 10, 2012, 07:50:30 PM »
If you are not going to promote a name oven, why not just build one yourself for half the cost and exactly to your specifications?

I am not that skilled!

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #59 on: June 10, 2012, 08:07:09 PM »
I love that i just started a fight....

That was not a fight. You couldn't start a fight between Tom and I if you tried.

To me, all i really said is that you dont need a SF oven to make great pizza and that I dont want to stake my fame/fortune/well being/ability to make a living or reputation of PIEOUS on his oven being the centerpiece.

I may have a hard time explaining myself sometimes...i just feel like, if i were to get an SF oven, I would enclose it in a metal box, hide its shape and would not promote SF in my restaurant...make sense?

I think you're making way too much out of the brand name oven thing. If you get 6 customers/year (other than members of this forum) who know what a SF oven is, I'd be very surprised. The only way your place will be known for it's oven is if you promote it as such.

And you're right that you don't need an SF to make great pizza. An Acunto will do just fine.  :-D

CL