Author Topic: Polly-O vs Sorrento II  (Read 1814 times)

Offline mykall

Polly-O vs Sorrento II
« on: June 03, 2012, 01:09:52 AM »
I've run through this again.   Two big blocks of cheese and 4 pies over the weekend.  Thanks to the neighbors for trying our experiments!  At this point I'm sorry to say that this is a done deal for Polly-O!   I really thought that Sorrento would take this but it's not going to happen.  Thicker and richer and much more body...and it goes to Polly!  I'm as surprised as anyone.  I would have bet my savings before this test....but what is ...........IS!

Offline dmcavanagh

• In Memoriam
Re: Polly-O vs Sorrento II
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2012, 06:48:40 AM »
I'm curious as to exactly how you went about your taste test. Did you just slice pieces of cheese from the blocks and consume them, or did you taste the cheeses cooked on pizzas? I have done numerous tests of cheeses simply cut off the block and it has been my experience that I and others find very little real preference. The main difference I have found usually centers on the saltiness of the cheese, and even that might be influenced by the temperature of the cheese. Last summer, after reading CI's mozzarella taste test and comparing it to a test that was conducted by the Serious Eats/SLICE staff, I went out and purchased 1lb. bricks of Polly-O, Walmarts GV and Sorrento. I cut a piece from each and used my 21 year old daughter as my tester. Her choice....the Walmart GV mozzarella. I believe that some of these cheeses change drastically if they sit on the shelf for too long. I also believe that different markets might sell different grades of cheese. I buy Sorrento in 5 lb. logs at a restaurant supply business, and I find that cheese to be firmer and tastier then the Sorrento I buy in 1 lb. packages at the grocery store. I have also found that Sorrento ricotta cheese is produced using two different formulas, depending on the sale point of the product. I recently tried Grande for the first time, and although it is better then the cheeses  already mentioned, I paid twice as much for it. I have another brand of mozzarella which I intend to try soon, Dragone, a former winner of CI's taste tests. I have also been very pleased with some deli sliced mozzarella's, including Boar's Head, Black Bear and Stella. Once again, these can sometimes cost twice what you would pay for the ordinary grocery store polly wrapped pound package.
Rest In Peace - November 1, 2014

Offline mykall

Re: Polly-O vs Sorrento II
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2012, 02:29:49 PM »
I'm curious as to exactly how you went about your taste test. Did you just slice pieces of cheese from the blocks and consume them, or did you taste the cheeses cooked on pizzas?

My comparisons so far are the 1lb blocks.  I have not found these giant 5lb'ers as of yet .  I almost always do a raw test although it never means much.  I cut off a small corner to taste.  Polly-O is slightly wattery-er and yet "fattier" when tasted raw.  The true test though is on a pie after coming out of the oven.  On a DD Chi-pie the Sorrento seems loose and nutty under all that 6 in1.  They Polly-O is fuller and deeper. On thin crusts which I am experimenting with right now at the rate of about 3 per week trying to dial in the recipe of a thin cross-cut  Chicago 'burb pie from my past.  These are the best test because you have so little crust in your way to interfere.   Again Sorrento seems to run sort of "nutty" and lacks a little body  while Polly-O holds firm and browns very well even w/o olive oil in the cheese.  When mixed with Provo both improve quite a bit.  Sorrento becomes much more tolerable and Polly simply shines.  I have not brought GV into the fray but I'll pick one up shortly when we visit the outlets this afternoon we'll swing by Wally.