Author Topic: a story...a business plan...that never went anywhere  (Read 1459 times)

Offline scampi

• I Love Pizza!
a story...a business plan...that never went anywhere
« on: September 29, 2005, 11:56:35 PM »
  :'(  A few years back I worked my normal job as well as 3 farmers markets in SoCal on the side. At the markets I made a product and earned about $200 in 5 hours of work. (you pay the market 11% of your sale and your overhead is you and your tent setup..CHEAP! )  It was pretty easy once I had a system in place. I met a guy who was selling tamale's at several markets. Each market he would sell between $600 and $1000 worth of tamale's. He originally set it up to promote his Tamale store but soon he found it more profitable than his restaurant...He now makes and sells 20,000 tameles a month. I started thinking...a lot of people would be interested in buying small pizzas instead of the tamales. I know I would  ;D I went to several web sites to learn how to make pizza...I ran across this website. I figured out a sauce from everyones help here, I used premade dough and bought 90 pizza screens on Ebay for $9 (heckuva deal), a small conveyor oven and made 6/7 inch pizzas using grande and a touch of parm. I used a generator to run the oven. It worked except for one thing. I didn't like my dough. I searched and finally found a great frozen dough company that I liked. They liked my idea. Nobody had done it. I got the blessing of the health department. My cost structure was good. Everything was go!!!! and then it happened...BAM! The company I worked for went out of business. I had to move out of the area I was targetting for my biz. Poof...dream gone. Maybe it would have failed..maybe not..

My dream ended..but I learned how to make a pizza from scratch that tastes better than any chain/franchise pizza and costs about 25% of what they charge..and I owe it all to this website. Thanks to all who contribute here and the folks that run this site. You are awesome!

Offline Rick

• I Love Pizza!
Re: a story...a business plan...that never went anywhere
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2005, 01:54:29 AM »
  :'(  A few years back I worked my normal job as well as 3 farmers markets in SoCal on the side. At the markets I made a product and earned about $200 in 5 hours of work. (you pay the market 11% of your sale and your overhead is you and your tent setup..CHEAP! )  It was pretty easy once I had a system in place. I met a guy who was selling tamale's at several markets. Each market he would sell between $600 and $1000 worth of tamale's. He originally set it up to promote his Tamale store but soon he found it more profitable than his restaurant...He now makes and sells 20,000 tameles a month. I started thinking...a lot of people would be interested in buying small pizzas instead of the tamales. I know I would  ;D I went to several web sites to learn how to make pizza...I ran across this website. I figured out a sauce from everyones help here, I used premade dough and bought 90 pizza screens on Ebay for $9 (heckuva deal), a small conveyor oven and made 6/7 inch pizzas using grande and a touch of parm. I used a generator to run the oven. It worked except for one thing. I didn't like my dough. I searched and finally found a great frozen dough company that I liked. They liked my idea. Nobody had done it. I got the blessing of the health department. My cost structure was good. Everything was go!!!! and then it happened...BAM! The company I worked for went out of business. I had to move out of the area I was targetting for my biz. Poof...dream gone. Maybe it would have failed..maybe not..

My dream ended..but I learned how to make a pizza from scratch that tastes better than any chain/franchise pizza and costs about 25% of what they charge..and I owe it all to this website. Thanks to all who contribute here and the folks that run this site. You are awesome!

WOW Scampi, great story.... I'm sorry it didn't end well, but now U have litterally "the business in your hand" .... being able to make a good dough is not everyone's skill, so whenever in the future U'll have another chance U'll be already skilled and ready to start your own pizza business.

And once U'll open , let us know where u are so we can came and taste your pizza!!!    ;)

Bye

Rick

Offline scampi

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2005, 01:30:49 PM »
Thanks Rick! The journey has been the rewarding part.

Online Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2005, 02:46:34 PM »
Thanks to all who contribute here and the folks that run this site. You are awesome!

You're welcome!  8) :) ;D
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.