Author Topic: How can I elevate a steel plate in my oven?  (Read 1015 times)

Offline dbarneschi

How can I elevate a steel plate in my oven?
« on: June 04, 2012, 08:44:43 PM »
I recently purchased a 3/4", 17" X 21" hot rolled steel plate and would like to raise it in my oven so that it is closer to the broiler coil (my oven rack is too far from my broiler). Does anyone know what I can use to raise my steel plate? I was thinking about removing my oven racks, stacking three sets of fire bricks on the oven floor and then placing the plate on top of the stacks. (I worry about placing the bricks on top of the oven rack because the excess weight might break my rack.) Any other (better) ideas are welcome.

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
Re: How can I elevate a steel plate in my oven?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2012, 01:15:56 AM »
Firebrick will slow down your heatup time.  I would suggest you use brickmold angle iron pieces, cut to fit the length of your oven. Just put a few down across the top rack and your steel will sit nicely on top with no wobbling.

Hopefully not too close to your broiler, so you can have oven spring without oven fire  :o
I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

Offline dbarneschi

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2012, 08:26:25 AM »
Firebrick will slow down your heatup time.  I would suggest you use brickmold angle iron pieces, cut to fit the length of your oven. Just put a few down across the top rack and your steel will sit nicely on top with no wobbling.

Hopefully not too close to your broiler, so you can have oven spring without oven fire  :o

Do you mean something like this?: http://image.made-in-china.com/4f0j00GvYthpcCJigN/Hot-DIP-Galvanized-Angle-Irons-Q235-.jpg

If so, how can I confirm that these iron pieces are food safe (i.e. won't give off harmful fumes at high temps)?

buceriasdon

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2012, 09:03:41 AM »
I don't see a need for galvanized and would avoid it's use. Home Depot has a section of various short steel pieces that would work.
Don

Do you mean something like this?: http://image.made-in-china.com/4f0j00GvYthpcCJigN/Hot-DIP-Galvanized-Angle-Irons-Q235-.jpg

If so, how can I confirm that these iron pieces are food safe (i.e. won't give off harmful fumes at high temps)?

pizzapan