Author Topic: Few Questions About A Pizza Oven  (Read 10550 times)

Offline CaliforniaPizzaGuy

• Jesus Christ, Family, Beach, AND PIZZA enough said
Few Questions About A Pizza Oven
« on: October 01, 2005, 02:45:59 PM »
I just recently purchased a Hotpoint double stack pizza oven, its a commercial size pizza oven, and it is electric, I’m currently in the stages of restoring the Hotpoint pizza oven and some day soon put it back into working condition, well my questions is what is the standard pizza degree a pizza oven should be at ? The max temperature this oven goes to is 500 degree's, is that hot enough? And also how long do you think it would take a pizza to bake in such oven? Any replies would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Joey

Re: Few Questions About A Pizza Oven
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2005, 07:55:07 PM »
Someone has to know the standard temp on a pizza oven, help me out someone

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2005, 08:23:55 PM »
CaliforniaPizzaGuy,

It isn't clear from your description of the oven whether it is a commercial oven or a home oven that is commercial size. I am unaware of a Hotpoint commercial oven, only home ones. If your oven is a home oven, you should be able to bake any type pizza at 500 degrees F. Some home ovens can get to 550 degrees F (on other than the clean cycle), and some ovens can be tweaked to get another 25-30 degrees F out of them, but 500 degrees F should work fine. Even commercial ovens usually aren't used at those temperatures, although they are often rated higher.

Peter

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2005, 10:58:06 AM »
Its a commerical oven, its temp goes from 300-500 degree's is that enought to cook a pizza in a timley manner ? i also included some photos as well. I thought hotpoints only made home ovens but when i came across this pizza oven i was surprised, well here are the photos.

Offline chiguy

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2005, 11:38:31 AM »
Its a commerical oven, its temp goes from 300-500 degree's is that enought to cook a pizza in a timley manner ? i also included some photos as well. I thought hotpoints only made home ovens but when i came across this pizza oven i was surprised, well here are the photos.

Hi, The cooking time of pizza depends on the thickness factor and the metohd. Are you using pizza pans, screens or does your oven have a stone deck where the pizza can be slid right onto the stone deck.  A temp of 500 degrees can cook a pizza in the 10 to 20 min range depending on the above factors.If you are considering adding pizza by the slice to an ongoing business, this oven may work. If you are considering using this size oven for a pizzeria, i dont believe it will be large enough. You have to keep in mind that all ovens are different.          Chiguy

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2005, 06:30:16 PM »
its actually a double stack, these are the pics of the bottom unit and the oven it self can hold 2 18" pizza screens and the bottom as well, so a total of 4 18inch pizza can be cooking all at the same time, im also going to be using pizza screens and its electric not gas, i will include some pics of the inside to show you.

Offline PizzaPolice

• Supporting Member
  • WFO-Where Art & Physics meet - Heat is the Arbiter
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2005, 02:21:47 PM »
Very nice oven!  So just by looking at it I'm guessing it is 220V = 2800 to 3200 watts. Probably 3 phase.  (What's on the back panel?)
I noticed immediately the difference between an amped up home oven with all the ceramic tiles in place and the Bakers Pride oven I use.  The elements are positioned directly over the pizza and UNDER the stone deck. 500 degrees in a home oven and commercial pizza oven is a huge difference.  The decks are up to operating temperature within a few minutes.  That being said, Chiguy has it right.  You have to watch the thickness in relation to not only the crust but mainly the wet toppings.  The botton cooks - chars before the top is baked.  If your deck max is 500, you're in a good zone.  Almost goof proof.  Mine goes to 650.  A thin, sparsely topped New Yorker @ 650 will work but an American with everything will give you a beautiful top with a BLACK bottom.  @500, she is beautiful.
As the pizza bakes, the oven continues to heat.  This means the decks are getting the heat.  So you gotta watch it.
I'm not sure if the question was answered as to your use for the oven.  Whether it's commercial or you are goofy, like me and buy stuff just this side of divorce.  I absolutely LOVE pizza. 

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2005, 12:21:34 PM »
it is a 220 with 3 phases, man you hit that right on !!! im restoring this oven to soon one day fire it up, i will post a pic of the pizza when i do, make my first pizza on this commerial pizza oven

Offline Repguy

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2005, 03:55:21 PM »
Years and years ago, General Electric was HUGE in the commercial foodservice equipment.  It looks like that oven is brand new.  This appears to what they use to call a "Roasting oven"  What are the decks made of?  Metal or stone? 

Offline BIG Daddy

• Supporting Member
  • Grandpa is THE Pizza Man
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2005, 07:03:47 PM »
Hello CaliforniaPizzaGuy;
Good luck on restoring your commercial pizza oven - They are a lot of fun when refurbished.  220 volts is usually not a problem in a home, BUT 3 phase is next to unheard of in a private home.  Do you plan on converting it to single phase?
BIG Daddy ??? ???
BIG Daddy

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2005, 07:11:12 PM »
the deck is made out of metal, im new to the pizza business is that a bad thing ? or a good thing ?

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2005, 07:12:48 PM »
Hello CaliforniaPizzaGuy;
Good luck on restoring your commercial pizza oven - They are a lot of fun when refurbished.  220 volts is usually not a problem in a home, BUT 3 phase is next to unheard of in a private home.  Do you plan on converting it to single phase?
BIG Daddy ??? ???

Hey BIG Daddy
My house it wired with the proper electrical, im a werido like that i have so many commerial equipment that i use at my house its just crazy.

Offline Repguy

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2005, 07:52:02 PM »
Metal deck shouldn't be a problem.  You will just have to experiment with it to learn its cooking characteristics.  Have fun

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2005, 08:31:28 PM »
Metal deck shouldn't be a problem.  You will just have to experiment with it to learn its cooking characteristics.  Have fun

how old do you think this oven is ? im clueless i was wondering if you had a idea ?

Offline Repguy

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2005, 08:39:40 PM »
If I remember correctly, GE was in the commercial side in the late 70's early 80's.  That oven looks like it is in really good condition.  If the elements all check out ok you should not have any problems.  You should be able to get any electrical parts you need at the local Grainger, or any industrial electrical supply house if you need any.  If there is a Johnstone supply near you, they would be a good source for parts.  They carry alot of "universal" replacement parts.  It will make your electric meter spin quite rapidly though. 

« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2005, 10:38:09 PM »
If I remember correctly, GE was in the commercial side in the late 70's early 80's.  That oven looks like it is in really good condition.  If the elements all check out ok you should not have any problems.  You should be able to get any electrical parts you need at the local Grainger, or any industrial electrical supply house if you need any.  If there is a Johnstone supply near you, they would be a good source for parts.  They carry alot of "universal" replacement parts.  It will make your electric meter spin quite rapidly though. 

do you think they carry the heating element coil on top of the inside of my oven ? if not do you have any suggestion on who might since i know hotpoints dont sell replacement parts.

Thanks
Joey

Offline Repguy

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2005, 10:46:34 PM »
If you take the actual element, and know the wattage, they can probably find a replacement for you.  It doesn't have to be genuine hotpoint part, as long as the wattage and voltage are correct  it should be fine.  Do the controls have top and bottom heat? 

« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2005, 11:20:40 PM »
If you take the actual element, and know the wattage, they can probably find a replacement for you.  It doesn't have to be genuine hotpoint part, as long as the wattage and voltage are correct  it should be fine.  Do the controls have top and bottom heat? 

I believe just top heat because the bottom is just like a metal plate, i want to fire this pizza oven up but i have a few electrical things to fix and then the top heating element, i want to completey redue the oven so that it has a 20 plus life span and works like a champ.

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2005, 08:22:04 PM »

Hey BIG Daddy
My house it wired with the proper electrical, im a werido like that i have so many commerial equipment that i use at my house its just crazy.

Are you sure about that? Most homes are wired for single-phase only (this gives 120 VAC on each bus, by combining you get 240 VAC which will run an oven, electric drier, etc.). Three-phase is someting totally different and is only found in commercial applications. Is your oven single-phase or three-phase?

Steve

P.S. to get three-phase, the local utility company will need to feed your house off a special transformer not typically found in residential areas.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2005, 08:25:06 PM by Steve »
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline 007bond-jb

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza & Beer
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2005, 11:47:28 AM »
Steve in my neighborhood we have 3 phase power running through to feed a school located in my subdivision. But calipizza guy refered to his oven as having 3 phases. I dont think he understands what 3 phase electical service is. Johnstone supply will be able to order any part thats needed to repair this oven.