Author Topic: Pizza in Naples: the 'original' Neopolitan pizza  (Read 1086 times)

Offline Tory

Pizza in Naples: the 'original' Neopolitan pizza
« on: June 06, 2012, 08:54:20 PM »
Here's a video link you all may enjoy. Pay particular attention starting at 6:00, especially if you're like me and you don't like Anthony Bourdain (then you can advance the video to the 6 min spot).
He gives some good info on the Italian government's DOC policies regarding pizza making. It isn't especially detailed, but enjoyable nevertheless.

Offline Kermit

Re: Pizza in Naples: the 'original' Neopolitan pizza
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 09:23:06 AM »
There's a couple of things that are wrong with this documentary. The thing about eating it with a knife and fork for instance. Not true - but we all know that here.

What I was most frustrated with, was the fact that he LEFT the cornicione behind. I think any of us here would probably eat a piece of the cornicione before even digging into the rest of the pie, because we all know that the true difference lies in the dough.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 09:50:32 AM »
As I understand it, the pizzas served in restaurants in Naples are uncut, so knife and fork would be necessary, especially given the sizes of the pizzas served in the restaurants. I believe that the pizzas served on the streets of Naples may be of a size that allows eaters to fold them, for example, as shown at http://nymag.com/restaurants/cheapeats/2009/57895/.

Peter

Offline Tory

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012, 10:23:17 AM »
Well, my interest was more in the specs on pizza making and the heat of the oven and so forth. Whether eating with your hands or utensils wasn't really of any consequence to me.

pizzapan