Author Topic: Trapped behind knowledge - need help  (Read 4129 times)

Offline mcalohan

Trapped behind knowledge - need help
« on: June 07, 2012, 12:20:04 PM »
Ok, I've been making my own pizza for a while and after years I have developed my own way of making dough. I cannot find anyone making anything like this. It is a commercially viable recipe. I'm sick of everyone telling me "how amazing" my pizza is. It's hard to hear. I've loved pizza my entire life and now that I've come up ith my own way of making it I can't do anything about it. I don't feel like I can ask anyone anything but I'm not educated enough to open my own place, nor do I have the cash. Information is the single most valuable thing on the planet but I'm pretty stupid. Maybe I got this wrong and I don't know what I'm doing.

I also have a recipe for buffalo wings (boneless too) that I'll put up against anyone's in America. If my new sauce recipe works out, I'll tell you straight that they're the best out there.

So what do I do? I'm too poor to open my own place.

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
Re: Trapped behind knowledge - need help
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 12:38:30 PM »
Not sure what you are asking...  what do you do?  Other than enjoy your pizza? 

If you want to talk about your unique way to make pizza, I'm sure it will be an interesting discussion.

If you are looking to sell your unique pizza recipe, I wish you lots of luck with that.  I have no idea how you would find a buyer for just the recipe.

If you really really really want to make pizzas using your recipe and sell them, you should look into going mobile with a truck-mounted WFO or a couple LBE's, cater some events, sell pizzas from a stand, etc.  Much less expensive than opening a restaurant, although it has challenges relating to being outside, no power, etc.

The whole point of our pizza madness is to enjoy it!  Please do!   
I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

Offline mcalohan

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 01:58:22 PM »
Yeah, I see you probing for information. This was a bad idea.

Offline 02ebz06

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012, 02:27:48 PM »

????  You asked for help, but never said exactly what you wanted help with.
        Why would you not expect questions?
        I didn't see any questions asking for you to reveal your secret recipes.
        Just my 2 cents...
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 02:29:41 PM by 02ebz06 »

Offline pizzaneer

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2012, 03:09:13 PM »

Like the subject line says... "...Need Help"  or did I miss something?

What do you need help with?  I was trying to figure that out.

buceriasdon

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2012, 10:06:38 PM »
You could apply for a copywrite with the understanding :  http://www.copyright.gov/fls/fl122.html
I doubt you have come up with a recipe that can stand apart from baking methods over centuries of the art but it is a way to find out. A put your money where your mouth is sort of thing.
Don

Offline Giggliato

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2012, 11:19:57 PM »
Find a vacant lot somewhere and build an oven out of the ground, then make some pizzas. Sell them if you like.

Offline mcalohan

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2012, 01:20:30 AM »
Thanks buceriasdon

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2012, 09:32:45 AM »
A problem with a patent or copyright is that you have to tell the world how you do what you do. You can't get intellectual protection (or even apply for protection) and also keep your idea a secret. In our business, on many occasions, we will not apply for patent protection on certain data processing methods because we don't want to tell our competitors how we did things.

If you wrote a book around your recipe you might get copyright protection, but I'm pretty sure it would not get you any protection from  a competitor using your recipe. That's not what copyright law is designed to do. For that, you would need a patent. There is so much prior art with something like pizza, it is hard to imagine a scenario where your idea would be novel enough to be patentable.

My $0.02 would be that if you have something that is better than everything else, raise some money and open a restaurant. You sell equity in your business - the investor gives you cash, and he gets ownership in a % of the business in return. Friends and family are the best place to start. They know and trust you and also know how good your food is. Invite them to pizza tastings and tell them what you are trying to do. Many pizza business, some quite famous, have started like this.

One last piece of advice I'd give is to ignore the positive feedback and ask for and listen carefully to the negative. Those are the challenge you will need to overcome if you go into business.

Best of luck,

Craig

I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline Don K

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2012, 09:57:39 AM »

Craig's right. This would be what's known as a trade secret. The only way to protect a trade secret is to, well, keep it secret.

One last piece of advice I'd give is to ignore the positive feedback and ask for and listen carefully to the negative. Those are the challenge you will need to overcome if you go into business.
Truer words could not be spoken. People, especially friends, will often give only positive feedback because the are being kind. Constructive criticism is often the best advice.
The member formerly known as Colonel_Klink

Offline pizzaneer

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2012, 11:52:00 AM »
 You mean I'm lucky to have a hyper-critical wife? 8)
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 01:38:38 PM by pizzaneer »

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2012, 01:27:50 PM »

So what do I do? I'm too poor to open my own place.
mcalohan,

pm me your dough recipe and if I find it to be as you claim we can then talk $$$

Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline mcalohan

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2012, 01:39:23 PM »
Thanks for the advice, all of it. There have been times that I thought about putting it in a forum like this just to out from under the weight of it. If I had my choice I would put it out in like Maxim or something, a way to bring pizza and wings back to the home in a way that's so easy, anyone and everyone can do it. The way I do pizza is awesome and exceptionally versitile but it's simplicity is where I believe it's true value is. I think it's simple at least.

Bob, No. That's not how hostage exchanges go. I'm not sure if you've ever done one before but letting you have the girl before we even talk about the money isn't gonna happen. I'm not smart. 

Offline pizzaneer

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2012, 01:45:08 PM »
I guess this thread's kind of venturing into the "slo-mo train wreck" territory, but its getting hard to look away...

Ok, mcalohan, post some pics of your pies.  Give a VAGUE description of why they are different.  Make us believe you, because all kidding aside, its time to put up or shut up.  Either retreat (again) into your prickly little shell of paranoia, or actually be honest with us.

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2012, 02:06:10 PM »
oh man.......now you went an scared him off!
dang I'm still look'in for my one big break,pizzaneer!   :-D
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 02:16:21 PM by Chicago Bob »
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline pizzaneer

« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2012, 02:15:00 PM »
oops, sorry!  

Oh man, now we shall never find out the TOP SECRET RECIPE!  Unless you send the Pizza Mafia to his house in the black vans, kidnap him and subject him to extensive interrogation!!

oops, did I say that out loud?

I'm sorry, ChicagoBob!  Please don't hurt my family!
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 02:45:13 PM by pizzaneer »

Offline weemis

• My Pizza Web Blog
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2012, 03:39:38 PM »
That's one of the reasons I chose the handle "Always learning".  There is no end to what you can learn, even for as mundane a matter as pizza. Thinking you have mastered the topic will be your undoing. As the expression goes, "The more you think you know...the more you really don't know. "

Peter

nuff said.
Nick Gore - just a dough eyed wanderer

Offline mcalohan

« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2012, 04:51:03 PM »
Here's a few pics. Can't figure out how to attatch them so here ya go. I used minor variations on the same recipe. I know it's sounds far fetched but if you got it, you'd get it. I don't really know any way of describing it without giving up the milk. I use a normal stone, I need to upgrade it though. I also need a good deep dish pan. The one I have ran me like 10 bucks, you get what you pay for. I've been trying to make buddies with my local pizza hut mngr but he's like customer radioactive. Dude's a badass behind the counter. I just wanna buy one of his old pans. So anyways, here's some pics.

Deep Dish
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v234/mjcalohan/?action=view&current=IMG_20120606_185355.jpg

My absolute favorite. A super thin crust.
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v234/mjcalohan/?action=view&current=IMG_20120429_201847.jpg

Yeah, I like pepperoni pizza.
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v234/mjcalohan/?action=view&current=IMG_20120416_151358.jpg

Alot.
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v234/mjcalohan/?action=view&current=IMG_20120420_182254.jpg

Offline mcalohan

« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2012, 04:58:43 PM »
I'm trying to decide what to make for dinner right now. The deep dish in that pic is ok, like for real those are all recent pics. My phone is full of pictures of pizza. HAHA! Anyways, putting up those pics kinda makes me think it'd be nice to have a couple of photoshoot worthy pizzas.

12" pizzas are probably the easiest to do "photoshoot worthy". My stone is 14" and square.... I wanna get a nice thick 16", that's a future buy though.

Offline shuboyje

« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2012, 05:28:31 PM »
Have you looked around the site much?

They certainly aren't horrible looking pizzas, but they don't look like anything that needs intellectual protection either.  I personally don't see them as being on par with what is produced here by many members daily who openly share their methods for all to learn from.  Hate to be the first to burst your bubble with honesty, but your original question was looking for help with a valuable recipe and/or workflow...I don't see the value.  We have established consultants who contribute here who can get a pizzeria to a higher level.
-Jeff

pizzapan