Author Topic: Freezing Buf Mozz... again..  (Read 1707 times)

Offline R2-Bayou

Freezing Buf Mozz... again..
« on: June 07, 2012, 02:27:37 PM »
I know this has been discussed in other threads, but I'm interested in freezing some fresh mozzarella di buffala. I'm coming into a case of Francia brand, hosting a big pizza party, and potentially freezing the unused portions. From some of the threads on the topic I've found here, it seems that the product can freeze well. My question is how to freeze it. It comes water packed in bags. Should I freeze the whole thing? I fear a big ice cube mess with that. I'm thinking individually wrapping them in plastic wrap and freezing them. Suggestions? Here's a pic of the brand.
"Wretched excess is just barely enough."

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
Re: Freezing Buf Mozz... again..
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 03:45:35 PM »
If you are not planning on using the leftover balls within a month, then drain the water from the packaging, ziploc it and freeze it.  The ball won't be perfectly the same as fresh, but if you soak it in brine after thawing for a few hours, I bet no one could really tell the difference.

However, if you will be using the rest of the balls within a month, then just let 'em ride in your fridge.  The flavor will get more complex, more like an aged farmers cheese, but it should be fine to use.  Might even be really good.
I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

Offline Bobino414

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 03:53:10 PM »

After defrosting the cheese ball you might try nuking it for 10-15 seconds (depending on the size of the ball) this helps restore the milkiness/creaminess and flavor of the cheese.

Offline R2-Bayou

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012, 05:45:38 PM »
thanks for the tips Bobino and pizzaneer

Offline PittsburghPieMaker

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2012, 12:55:11 PM »
I freeze mine right in the bag. Not the same brand, but it never failed me. Just pull the bag out of the freezer and drop into a ziploc before defrosting in the fridge in case there was a breech during the freeze. I have left mine in the freezer for 4 months with the same quality as the fresh.

Offline Fire-n-smoke

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2012, 10:12:10 AM »
I have drained my mozz, then used a vac sealer (cheap one) and vac packed the cheese then into the freezer.  When I thaw it out I put in in a pot of hot water while in the package and let stand for an hour or so; comes out really soft.  Pizzaneer gave me an idea to unpackage then defrost in salted water which may enhance the flavors a bit; going to try it next time.
tom

Offline SinoChef

• Not delivery ha ....OMG you.... Digiornoed me
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2012, 05:59:18 PM »
but if you soak it in brine after thawing for a few hours, I bet no one could really tell the difference.

Water, salt, sugar? A brine of?

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2012, 08:09:01 PM »
Water, salt, sugar? A brine of?

Definitely salt- kosher or sea. I can't see sugar tasting too good after the cheese cooks.  The objective here is to not change the taste of the cheese - the salt helps it to absorb moisture, making it "re-freshed".
I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

Offline R2-Bayou

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2012, 02:39:27 PM »
Just made a few pizzas last night on my LBE using frozen buff muzz..

To freeze, I drained the packs and individually wrapped each ball in plastic wrap then into the freezer.

To defrost, I simply kept the balls in their plastic wrap and moved them to the fridge for 24hrs. At that point, they were still semi-frozen, so I sliced them into 1 inch thick slices and layered them in paper towels, leaving them on the counter at room temp until I topped pizzas, about 3-4 hours.

They defrosted, drained, and melted beautifully. You would never know they were frozen. Maybe you would if i served them as antipasti, but not melted on pizza. The rind got slightly tougher when eaten raw, but melted perfectly.