Author Topic: From Mozza , Nancy Silverton  (Read 1394 times)

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: From Mozza , Nancy Silverton
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2014, 10:27:30 PM »
On the matter of the wheat germ and its lack of visibility in the Mozza crust, I should mention that there are commercial versions of wheat germ that are ground finely so that it is like flour. I learned this a few years ago when Norma and I were attempting to reverse engineer and clone a Mellow Mushroom dough that at one point included wheat germ (they later stopped using it). My research on wheat germ ultimately took me to companies that specialized in wheat germ products. What I learned is discussed in Reply 92 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=3940.msg153689;topicseen#msg153689 . It's actually quite interesting stuff.

Peter

Online tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2014, 10:34:03 AM »
Peter thanks for the information about wheat germ and the links. I have just purchased a good quality blender so I may try to "mill" the wheat germ down to a smaller size. 

Online Omidz

• My rolling test kitchen
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2014, 12:13:02 PM »
Hi everyone. Does anyone know if Mozza ever refrigerates their dough? They go through so much I am wondering how they would keep their dough at room temp the entire time without problems. I know they I see LA Brea bakery for making their dough but that still seems to be very impressive if they never refrigerate

Ps I am having miller milling send me a couple samples of Mello Judith now that they have aquired the brand front conagra. Will try it out and see if the same

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2014, 03:20:16 PM »
On the matter of the wheat germ and its lack of visibility in the Mozza crust, I should mention that there are commercial versions of wheat germ that are ground finely so that it is like flour. I learned this a few years ago when Norma and I were attempting to reverse engineer and clone a Mellow Mushroom dough that at one point included wheat germ (they later stopped using it). My research on wheat germ ultimately took me to companies that specialized in wheat germ products. What I learned is discussed in Reply 92 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=3940.msg153689;topicseen#msg153689 . It's actually quite interesting stuff.

Peter

Hi everyone. Does anyone know if Mozza ever refrigerates their dough? They go through so much I am wondering how they would keep their dough at room temp the entire time without problems. I know they I see LA Brea bakery for making their dough but that still seems to be very impressive if they never refrigerate

Ps I am having miller milling send me a couple samples of Mello Judith now that they have aquired the brand front conagra. Will try it out and see if the same

The pizza dough they use at the restaurant does not contain wheat germ.  That is why it is not visible. :)

I do not know if they refrigerate, but the dough is a 2 day dough and they do use a sponge in the restaurant version.

Per Nancy Silverton:

- Mitch

Online Omidz

« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2014, 07:21:24 PM »
Thanks Mitch.  Yeah I've seen this video. I just can't seem to find anything on refrigeration and or how they manage their dough up to use.

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2014, 07:44:07 PM »
I can only guess from the video in which she says:
"
Just plan ahead for 2 days
Keep your sponge longer
And your dough longer
And keep it a little bit longer after it is shaped into the dough balls.
Other than that, it is all the same
"
She then goes on to explain the exception of the wheat germ.  So, if we take her "literally" that it is "all the same" then I would conclude she does not cold ferment.  Not only because she does not mention it, but because there would then be the issue of when to refrigerate (e.g after fermentation and below making the dough balls?) and how much ahead of time to take it out and temper it, etc.  In other words, there would be a new and important dimension of the workflow that should not be glossed over.  So, to me, taking her at her word - she seems to be telling you what to do to to make it more like the restaurant - I would not think there is a cold ferment.  The storyline seemed to be about planning vs. spontaneity but ???????
"
Let us know what you do.  - Mitch

Online Omidz

« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2014, 02:15:03 AM »
Thanks for the info Mitch.  I would tend to agree.  I just keep thinking about the naive amount of dough she goes through and wonder how she manages to use her dough at the right time.

What did you mean by"tell us what you do"?

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2014, 09:09:11 AM »
Thanks for the info Mitch.  I would tend to agree.  I just keep thinking about the naive amount of dough she goes through and wonder how she manages to use her dough at the right time.

What did you mean by"tell us what you do"?
Oh, I was assuming, perhaps wrongly, that you were going to take a shot at trying to clone the restaurant version of the dough.  - M

Online Omidz

« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2014, 09:53:01 AM »
Oh I see what you mean. I'm looking for something a little different.  but definitely Mozza inspired. Mitch I see you are in Oakland is that correct ?

Ps sorry for the typos and mispellings. My phone auto correct is killing me.

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2014, 12:02:17 PM »
Mitch I see you are in Oakland is that correct ?

Yep - crime capital of the Bay Area...................but, there is Oakland and then there is Oakland.

Online Omidz

« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2014, 01:15:07 PM »
Haha. I have friends that live there and love it. I'm sure there are some really nice spots there but just doesn't get the attention.  You interested in experimenting together? I just moved to Foster City from LA.  Not exactly as exciting as Big Oakland but close to my work.

Partners in crime but in a pizza way. I just ordered a bunch of sample flours and tomato products.

Ps I'm not weird just looking to make the most of my efforts with others that are into pizza making.