Author Topic: Quarry stone tiles are they all the same?  (Read 1817 times)

Offline Miss Mare E

• I Love Pizza!
    • C Bar D
Quarry stone tiles are they all the same?
« on: October 02, 2005, 11:31:33 AM »
Well my well meaning pizza loving hubby brought home some tiles for me.  I had mentioned needing some for next pizza.  A friend had some left over & gave them to him.

Ok my question... are all quarry tiles the same?  Other than being glazed? (snickering)

These appear to be marble?  I don't think they have any sorta coating on them, just polished.  I'm afraid to try them & wondered if anyone has used marble?
You can tell a gelding, ask a stallion....but you must discuss it with a MARE!

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Quarry stone tiles are they all the same?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2005, 12:02:21 PM »
Miss Mare E,

If what you have is marble, there seems to be a question about its suitability for use in baking pizzas. For example, see http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,1213.msg10941.html#msg10941. You will also learn a lot about all kinds of materials that are or can be used for baking pizzas at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,1488.0.html. If you go to the last post in that thread you will find links to many other places on the forum where the subject has been discussed in the past. Maybe the information at those places may help you determine what it is that you have.

Peter

Offline Miss Mare E

• I Love Pizza!
    • C Bar D
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2005, 07:46:19 PM »
 ;)
Thanks Peter, guess I didnt search far enough to find those topics.  I did learn that making pizza when humidity is up doesn't work!  I turned AC off as we got a cool spell (for GA) & hubby was dying for pizza & so proud of the tiles.  I hated to tell him they wouldn't work for pizza but would make a great table top..hint hint. 

LOL better plan a trip into town to Lowe's to get the right ones.  Was wondering with turkey day approaching & we usually fry turkey has anyone done a fried pizza? 
You can tell a gelding, ask a stallion....but you must discuss it with a MARE!

Offline pam

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2005, 09:52:51 PM »
;)
Thanks Peter, guess I didnt search far enough to find those topics.  I did learn that making pizza when humidity is up doesn't work!  I turned AC off as we got a cool spell (for GA) & hubby was dying for pizza & so proud of the tiles.  I hated to tell him they wouldn't work for pizza but would make a great table top..hint hint. 

LOL better plan a trip into town to Lowe's to get the right ones.  Was wondering with turkey day approaching & we usually fry turkey has anyone done a fried pizza? 
Haven't fried pizza, per se, but I have fried calzones. Yum!

OTOH, I DID have a fried pizza in Glasgow, Scotland back in '85: or maybe I should say, I ORDERED a pizza but what I GOT was a deep fried abomination. Was on a business trip and hadn't had a pie in at least 2 months and needed a fix like a crack addict needs a hit, so when I saw "Pizza" on the menu board outside a sandwich shop, I couldn't get inside and order fast enough.

So there I was, salivating at the prospect of sinking my teeth into a slice of pizza, even when the guy behind the counter reached into the freezer and pulled out a misshapen 8" frozen pizza (hey, it may be a frozen pizza, but at least it's a pizza), but then he stuck it in a deep-fry basket and dropped it in the oil they fried their fish and chips in! :'(

Tried eating it anyway, but couldn't force myself to swallow the second bite. Probably the only time in my life I've thrown away a pizza. :-[
When an eel bites your eye and the pain makes you cry, that's a Moray.