Author Topic: Vegan Pizza Lover  (Read 325 times)

Offline akreider

Vegan Pizza Lover
« on: July 13, 2011, 12:56:56 AM »
I recently got into making pizza now that there is finally a decent vegan cheese substitute (Daiya) that became available in the past year or so (Whole Foods and other locations).

Previously vegan cheese was horrible.

I've been using a san francisco sourdough culture, pizza stone, and an oven that goes to around 525.  I'm growing tomatoes, basil, and oregano in the garden.  I'm interested in getting a hotter oven and one that is more efficient.

I'm in Philadelphia where there is a couple places that make vegan pizza, but frankly I think mine is better (due to better ingredients) and will be even better if I get a hotter oven.

Offline joshuafinancial

Re: Vegan Pizza Lover
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 12:48:13 AM »
Hey there Akreider!
I just joined the site today, and ran across your post. I have a wood fired oven in the back yard.  I'm also in Philly and I "discovered" Daiya and Tofurkey at the same time (the same day).  So good!

But I've not yet made a vegan pizza. 

We melt Daiya in the microwave or in a covered dish in our conventional oven.  How does it hold up exposed to 525 degrees?   Or do you toss the pseudocheese on after, while the sauce is still super-hot?

Offline akreider

Re: Vegan Pizza Lover
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 06:04:29 PM »
Daiya cheese has no problem with high heat.   

I've now got a countertop oven that goes to 675 F and use it at that temperature (with a stone).