Author Topic: The Spikey Roller thingamajigger?  (Read 2190 times)

Offline diza

The Spikey Roller thingamajigger?
« on: June 08, 2012, 10:57:41 AM »
I've often seen some pizzerias prick holes all over the crust with this rolling device that has spikes. What is it called and is it necessary to prick holes?

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: The Spikey Roller thingamajigger?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2012, 11:27:35 AM »
diza,

What you are talking about is called a dough docker. If you use either of the forum's search engines with the keywords "dough docker" (without the quotes), you will get many hits.

Peter

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2012, 12:19:44 PM »
Diza;
The dough docker is used to help control bubbling and blistering of the crust during baking. A correct dough docker should have blunt pins (looking something like a cowboy's spurs). The way it works is to pinch the dough together, not perforate it. If you look at a saltine cracker, or club cracker you can easily see the results of using a dough docker (note that the holes are closed by a thin membrane of dough on one side).
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline diza

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2012, 08:14:39 AM »
Wow Thanks Pete-zza and Tom...u guys are great! I wish i had found this site sooner!

Offline diza

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2012, 08:26:26 AM »
Ok i did a search on the forum and learned a lot about dough dockers, now the only problem is getting my hands on one. I'm in Toronto, does anyone know if any of the kitchen supplies stores carry them?

Offline diza

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2012, 08:36:21 AM »
I found this, will it work?

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2012, 09:27:33 AM »
diza,

The photo you show does not look like any dough docker I have ever seen. It looks like a meat tenderizer. Unless one of our members in the Toronto area sees your post and offers help, your best bet might be to do a Google or similar search or look in your local yellow pages for restaurant supply or restaurant equipment companies. In the U.S., many such companies stock dough dockers. Not all of them sell to the public at retail but if you call a few, I think they should be able to tell you where to purchase one at retail. If you find a source, please report back so that we have that information.

Peter

buceriasdon

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2012, 12:26:04 PM »
Don,

Earlier today I found what looks to be the same dough docker as you found, at page 4 of the catalog at http://www.crowncookware.ca/pdf/Supplemental_Catalogue2006.pdf. The company offering the dough docker, Crown Cookware, apparently has a facility at 1880 Kipling Avenue, Toronto, Ontario. I don't know whether they sell at retail, but I was hoping that there would be a Canadian source in Toronto offering a much broader line of dough dockers, much like in the U.S. Maybe that is not the case. Hopefully, diza will enlighten us.

Peter

Offline diza

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2012, 07:39:59 AM »
Don,

Thanks so much for the Amazon link, i thought Amazon only had books since that's all i've ever bought from them! I am so happy that i found the dough docker there since it's so difficult to get them at local kitchen supply stores. I put in the order and can't wait to try it out!  ;D

As for the Kipling location, i will give them a call and find out and share it. I love this site, thanks so much!!! :-*

buceriasdon

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2012, 11:36:40 AM »
diza, Please do share your thoughts on the docker with us.
Don

Offline ogdred

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2012, 11:43:37 PM »
You can find a docker at Consiglios at St. Clair and Dufferin. Good San Marzanos at some of the Italian grocery stores around there too. They are also online:
http://www.consiglioskitchenware.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=3799&idcategory=0

If I recall correctly, I also saw one at Nella's on Bathurst at Bloor last weekend.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 11:47:01 PM by ogdred »

Offline lawman

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2012, 10:26:02 AM »
That's (http://www.amazon.ca/Ateco-01357-Dough-Docker/dp/B000ZNPRJ6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1339254485&sr=8-1) the docker I bought and use. It's made well enough for home use. The spike ends are rounded so you don't make holes in the dough, instead it pinches it together like Doc said. It was a good buy imho.

Offline diza

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2012, 09:14:33 AM »
Pete-zza i called the Kipling location of Crown Cookware and they do have a cash n carry section in their location where they sell retail. The lady said they have the pizza dough dockers in stock and anyone's welcome to come down and look around.

Ogdred the locations you suggested were also great, they all checked out and i've cancelled my Amazon order so that i can go in person and check them out in person. Thank you all for your help!  :D

pizzapan