Author Topic: Newly finished prep kitchen for mobile operation  (Read 3805 times)

Offline cnkymnky

Newly finished prep kitchen for mobile operation
« on: June 09, 2012, 05:54:34 AM »
Hello all, My name is Ray. My wife Heather and I are in the final stages of starting our mobile wood fired pizza operation in Salem, Oregon. Our oven is scheduled to be delivered in mid August then the long task of practicing the craft of making fantastic pies like the ones that so many of the members here have perfected. I want to thank all of the members of this site for the information that you are willing to share and for providing the inspiration that you do. We recently finished the construction of our prep kitchen and recieved our Health Inspection 2 weeks ago. Here are a couple photos of our finished project. Thanks for looking :)

Offline SinoChef

• Not delivery ha ....OMG you.... Digiornoed me
Re: Newly finished prep kitchen for mobile operation
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2012, 06:04:28 AM »

Beautiful! Congratulations!

Offline cnkymnky

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2012, 06:20:11 AM »
Thank You SinoChef

Offline SinoChef

• Not delivery ha ....OMG you.... Digiornoed me
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2012, 07:05:25 AM »

Do you have a name yet? Please keep updating. I enjoy these start up threads.

Online thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2012, 07:42:30 AM »
beautiful kitchen when are you launching the business?

Offline cnkymnky

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2012, 07:54:38 AM »
Our buisness name is Fire`n Slice LLC. we are hoping to maybe get a start on some buisness this fall, but the real launch will be early spring. With our oven being delivered in mid August, we will probably spend the rest of this summer in the learning process. We are extremely excited about getting started but don't want to jump in there before we are ready as far as having our pie making somewhat perfected. Although we have extensive experience with cooking and BBQ catering we are kinda new to the pizza making. The test parties should be fun however, and endless supply of people offering their tasting services...lol

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2012, 08:03:55 AM »
Wow...that is very nice. Is this a small stand alone structure and will you now rent it out to other food trucks to use as their canteen. This is what some people do here in North Carolina. Health dept. requirement. Most truck operators make an arrangement with a local restaurant and do their prep work there ( ;)). Thanks.

Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2012, 08:05:55 AM »
beautiful

Good luck!

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2012, 08:09:36 AM »
Stunning. That is an amazing amount of capital to put into a prep kitchen for a MWFO. You will definitely be working in a relaxing environment while you develop your dough formula. Good luck to you and make sure to update us on your progress.

John

Offline cnkymnky

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2012, 08:20:52 AM »
Thank you all for your kind comments. We, my wife and I, did all the work building this ourselves, so the cost, although still alot, could have been a lot worse. This is actually our 2 car Garage at our home that we remodeled into our prep kitchen. We used about 2/3 of the total space, about 300 sq feet for the kitchen itself, the rest was redone and left as a garage for storage of our mobile oven. We even put in a bathroom so employees or others we may rent space to wont need to enter our home. And yes Bob we are considering renting out the space to other mobile venders for prep work, if we find the right person/buisness idea. We are actually talking to a young lady now about space to make ice cream for a mobile cart buisness she is starting up, she is just waiting for her buisness license to be issued.

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2012, 09:58:41 AM »
WOW !! 

Holy smokes, you did an amazing job!  If that's your prep area, I can't wait to see your mobile operation!  It should be utterly mindblowing!

I'm looking around my garage right now, thinking "ehh!  I hate you!  Why can't you be beautiful too!"

Please tell us more about the logistics of making such an inspiring kitchen: anything you want to share, like floor plan, electrical considerations, and especially before-and-during construction pics!
I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2012, 12:23:07 PM »
That's really really nice! Very impressive. Good luck with the new mobile unit!  :D

Online thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2012, 06:41:47 PM »
wow, can i hire you to redo my garage. that is a amazing job!!!

Offline cnkymnky

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2012, 09:07:58 AM »
WOW !! 

Holy smokes, you did an amazing job!  If that's your prep area, I can't wait to see your mobile operation!  It should be utterly mindblowing!

I'm looking around my garage right now, thinking "ehh!  I hate you!  Why can't you be beautiful too!"

Please tell us more about the logistics of making such an inspiring kitchen: anything you want to share, like floor plan, electrical considerations, and especially before-and-during construction pics!

lol.....Im sure your garage is beautiful in it's own unique way :-D  I wish i would have taken pictures of the before and during construction of the kitchen, but unfortunately i did not. never even crossed my mind that anyone would be interested in seeing the process. The floor plan was a bit of a challenge, went through several designs before choosing the one we ultimately went with. At being slightly less than 300 square feet it was a chore to come up with a design that would allow for all the equipement that we wanted/needed to have room for, but the one we did use worked our great, has plenty of room to do what we intend to do and has a great traffic flow. It's hard to detect in the photos but it's kind of in an "L" shape configuration with the food prep area on one leg and the cleaning (hand washing/dishes) along with storage and a small desk for paperwork and the half bath down the other leg, with a door leading our to the garage area where the mobile oven will be stored high and dry : ) Meeting all the local building codes as well as the health department regulations was definately an intersting process, but in the end we passed all the codes and regs on the first shot, so i guess we did something right. All the electrical for the kitchen is run off of a seperate 100 amp servive box, with dedicated circuits for the Dough mixer, freezer, refrigerator, range hood, microwave and bathroom, lighting and other electrical outlets are also on seperate circuits. and don't forget the direct tv for those long nights of making dough balls :-D The garage/kitchen is attached to our house but no longer has direct access from inside the house, we decided to make a seperate access from outside so as to completely isolate it from the house. health department regulations did not insist on this but we could tell that they prefered it. they told us that if there was access to the kitchen from inside the house that we would never be allowed a pet on the premises, not even a gold fish in a tank, although we own no pets, we wanted  to keep that option open if in the future we decided we did want one, and this way the health inspection officials have no reason to ever be concerned about anything in our home. It also will make it nice not having direct access to the home if we do decide to rent time in the kitchen to other foodies for their prep operations. ive attached a couple more photos that kinda show what is going on down the "other leg" of the kitchen. Thank you for your interest and kind comments.

Offline cnkymnky

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2012, 09:14:36 AM »
Thank you EV and theazman i would love to help you with your garage but unfortunatly the commute to Ohio would be a killer.....hmmm maybe i coulkd help with your garage in exchange for you helping me perfect my pies...we could be on to something here ;D

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2012, 09:19:37 AM »
Very nice!  What kind/size oven did you order?  Thanks.
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline cnkymnky

« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2012, 09:26:22 AM »
Very nice!  What kind/size oven did you order?  Thanks.

Thank you, we ordered the Concessionaire model with a 48 inch oven deck from the Fire Within in Boulder Colorado

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2012, 09:36:51 AM »
.... Although we have extensive experience with cooking and BBQ catering we are kinda new to the pizza making....

You are completely insane, and I love it.  Please take a Texas tour. :-D :chef:
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2012, 09:40:35 AM »
Wow ! I operate flirting with fire a part time mobile wfo . I have a great friend who allows me to use his commercial kitchen. Yes I am green with envy without sharing cost (unless you would  care to) elaborate on the time you have allotted for recoup this investment how many events do you feel it will take. It appears money is no object here which is a great way to start out. I was lucky enough to pat for all equip as well and should be all gravy next year ! He ha! Did you post your oven choice  somewhere and I missed it?a Penylol I presume :)
Oh see to chose all new equip ? And a planetary mixer ? Thoughts on your style of pie yet ?
Wishing you all the best !
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2012, 09:43:45 AM »
Oops FWI oven ok got it. Curious if you considered any other oven? Also assuming you may have attended the FWI workshop?
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

pizzapan