Author Topic: changing flours-what can I expect  (Read 643 times)

Offline patnx2

changing flours-what can I expect
« on: June 25, 2012, 03:40:25 AM »
I ran out of Power flour and have an abundance of bread flour. If I use my excess bf in my New York pizza how will it differ from my Power flour. I am very happy with Power flour and will go back after a while.
Some questions:will dough react differently?Will hydration change?Bake times? (I am doing a 5.5 to 6 min. bake now) and bake time? Any ideas would help. I feel as though I should know this stuff but I don't. I have  been making great ,for me,pizza and think I should just buy more power flour but maybe I will learn a bit more by this experiment. Thanks Patrick from Modesto
Patrick

scott123

Re: changing flours-what can I expect
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2012, 03:08:24 PM »
If it's better for bread flour or King Arthur bread, then the only real difference is that the pizza won't be as good.  Power flour is better flour, plain and simple. Since bread flour has slightly less protein, you might want to drop your hydration a percentage point, but even if you stick to the same formula you should be alright.

Offline patnx2

Re: changing flours-what can I expect
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 01:10:00 AM »
I'll give it try but I suspected you are right, but trying to use up my bf. Thanks always and  you are there with my  NY style questions. Patrick from Modesto
Patrick