Author Topic: Kabanos....OMG, delicious!  (Read 908 times)

Offline dmcavanagh

Kabanos....OMG, delicious!
« on: June 09, 2012, 01:36:48 PM »
Just returned from a nearby butcher shop with over 2 lbs. of freshly made kabanos and it is delicious. May have to use some as a pizza topping. Any other kabanos fans out there?

Offline FeCheF

Re: Kabanos....OMG, delicious!
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2012, 01:54:34 PM »
Never heard of them but a quick google image search looks like what we call around here "landjaegers"

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2012, 02:08:58 PM »
Some people also refer to them as Polish "Slim Jim's", but they are much better then Slim Jim's.

Offline FeCheF

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2012, 02:24:38 PM »
Yeah thats exactly what a landjaeger is. They usually come chilled in the meat case and are slightly soft. I leave mine out with the bag open for a few days to dry out and the skin/casing gets nice and crispy. Im not sure if its safe, but ive never got sick or noticed any mold growing on them. They taste 10x better too.

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2012, 02:32:31 PM »
The kabanos I buy is fresh made in a butcher shop. I've walked in and had to wait for it because it was still too hot from whatever cooking process it goes through. They always have these hanging from a hook at room temp when I go in the store. Mine never dries out, it's not around long enough for that to happen! :-D