Author Topic: store bought minced garlic in sauce  (Read 1802 times)

Offline legendslanes

store bought minced garlic in sauce
« on: June 09, 2012, 02:57:13 PM »
what is the best way to introduce garlic to a canned pizza sauce. powder, granulated, paste, etc.

buceriasdon

Re: store bought minced garlic in sauce
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2012, 03:19:26 PM »
My favorite method is to roast a whole head of garlic by cutting off the top of the head, drizzle with olive oil and bake at 350 for an hour. Let cool and remove cloves, placing them in a mini processor and blend with a bit of olive oil.
Don

Offline Giggliato

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2012, 10:59:32 AM »
That sounds good, time to roast some garlic...

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2012, 11:11:59 AM »
I tried store bought minced garlic in sauce before, but donít like it as much as first using a grater to crush the fresh garlic cloves.  Then I microwave the fresh garlic in olive oil with a little Italian seasoning, a little oregano and a few crushed peppers flakes.  In my opinion, the microwaved garlic is much better if the sauce is left to sit for a day.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline jeff v

• I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
    • Pizzeria Valentino
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2012, 12:15:07 PM »
I believe if you forget pre minced jarred garlic exist all of your cooking will be better.

Re the sauce- I think it depends how much garlic flavor you want. The smaller the cut the more garlic flavor you will get. Also if you roast first you will get a more mellow flavor. Penzeys actually has dehydrated garlic that is the freshest I have smelled or tasted of commercial brands.

For cooked sauce I crush a clove or two and bring to a simmer and cut the heat. Let cool and remove the cloves. I do prefer a more mild garlic flavor though.
Back to being a civilian pizza maker only.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2012, 12:26:15 PM »
I believe if you forget pre minced jarred garlic exist all of your cooking will be better.

+1

This is how I add garlic to just about everything that needs garlic: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,20434.msg201311.html#msg201311

Depending on whether I want cooked or fresh flavors, I'll cook it in more, less, or not at all.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2012, 12:14:18 AM »
The grocery store jars of pre minced garlic need to be banned from the world.    It ruins any dish it touches.   YUKKKKK

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2012, 08:47:22 AM »
Somebody gave me a 1# foodservice-size jar of it years ago. I dumped it into my compost pile. Shortly after, my yellow lab, Scout, come up to me. I took one whiff, and I was like, "oh no you didn't." Yes he did - every last speck. That dog reeked for a week.
Pizza is not bread.