I am right in the middle of making my first pizza and wanted to post on my progress and ask some questions. After reading through many of the threads and different styles, I decided to go with a Greek style pizza in a pan after reading this thread:http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=691.0
I was inspired by these two posts:http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,691.msg27482.html#msg27482
My dough is currently in the fridge and I am documenting the progress. First, I made two dough balls for a 12" pan and used the following formula:
Flour (100%): 419.13 g | 14.78 oz | 0.92 lbs (KABF)
Water (63%): 264.05 g | 9.31 oz | 0.58 lbs
IDY (0.3%): 1.26 g | 0.04 oz | 0 lbs | 0.42 tsp | 0.14 tbsp (SAF)
Salt (2%): 8.38 g | 0.3 oz | 0.02 lbs | 2.47 tsp | 0.82 tbsp (Diamond Crystal)
Olive Oil (2%): 8.38 g | 0.3 oz | 0.02 lbs | 1.86 tsp | 0.62 tbsp (Whole Foods EVOO)
Sugar (1%): 4.19 g | 0.15 oz | 0.01 lbs | 1.05 tsp | 0.35 tbsp (Caster Sugar)
Total (168.3%): 705.39 g | 24.88 oz | 1.56 lbs | TF = 0.11
Single Ball: 352.69 g | 12.44 oz | 0.78 lbs
The flour used was KABF and the yeast is (I think) is SAF IDY. It is kind of old but was sitting in a tupperware in the back of the fridge. I didn't want to wait until today to start so I just went for it last night. The good news is that I also made a batch of no knead bread at the same time with the same yeast and that batch is bubbling like crazy so I think the yeast is still fine. I took some pics while I made the pizza dough and can post them soon. I put the water in the mixer with the salt and let it dissolve. I put the rest of the dry ingredients with together and slowly added them to the mixer on 1 w/ dough hook. After I would say 3-4 minutes I added the dough and let that go for another 3 minutes or so. Then I hand kneaded for 30 seconds and formed into balls. Oiled the balls, put into oiled metal bowls and covered with saran wrap and into the fridge they went.
On to my questions!
1. I have an escali kitchen scale. It is pretty precise but not to the hundredths of an oz. How do I get the right measurement of yeast? I ended up using 1/2 tsp b/c I was worried the old yeast was weak. Bad idea or will it not matter?
2. The dough was pretty sticky and I ended up with two 12oz balls. It seems I lost about 1oz to the mixing bowl (Kitchen Aid Artisan mixer) and my fingers. I figure this will just create a bit of a thinner crust in the pan.
3. I bought a Fat Daddio's 12"x2" round anodized aluminum cake pan. Will this work? Should I do anything with it beforehand? Can it take the 500 degree heat? I could not find anything on heat tolerances for it on their website, only for their silicone products.http://www.fatdaddios.com/catalog/2-deep-1-1-1
4. For cooking, I have an All Clad 13" pizza stone and a Bertazzoni gas oven which goes up to 500. Any tips? Is this stone acceptable for now?
5. The dough was 79 degrees when I was done and I put it in the fridge at 9:30pm last night. Would it be too soon to make it tonight? If not, I plan to take it out and let it warm up for 2 hours, then spread it onto the oiled daddio's pan. How long should I let it sit in the pan before cooking? I read in the above linked thread to let it proof for around 4 hours? Since I only have one pan, any tips for making the other dough? I could just wait another day for the 2nd one.
I am sure I will have more questions as the day goes on but that is enough for now! This site is an amazing resource and I really appreciate any tips you guys can offer.