Author Topic: Smallest possible dry-fit brick oven possible?  (Read 4761 times)

Offline anton-luigi

Re: Smallest possible dry-fit brick oven possible?
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2012, 11:23:16 PM »
fire brick is difficult for me to find around here,  damn!!!  northern Minnesota

scott123

« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2012, 11:33:16 PM »
Mike (anton-luigi), keep looking. Where ever you find fireplace construction you will find a firebrick supplier.  Look in the yellow pages under brick and start making calls.

Offline EndUser

« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2012, 12:25:06 AM »
I think we're getting too far away from the simple oven concept. Insulation is option -- inefficient, yes, but it works without it. Same goes for a chimney, you may get smoke in your face without one, but I have seen several designs on here without that seem to work fine.

scott123

« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2012, 09:43:02 AM »
Enduser, as I said before, foregoing insulation is both inefficient, and, because it causes weatherproofing to be especially difficult, it makes the oven potentially dangerous.

There are a lot of insulationless/chimneyless oven designs floating around, but

1. Have you seen the pizzas that come from them?

2. Do the owners of these ovens continue to post about their experience with them after one or two uses?

Anyone can build a pile of bricks, make one or two less than mediocre pizzas, let the elements trash the oven and then lose interest, never to post again. The common denominator for all these uninformed builds is embarrassingly bad pizza and an incredibly short public record.

Additional concerns like insulation and chimneys are a bit of a pain in the butt, but, at the end of the day, you've got a piece of equipment that cost you a few hundred dollars that can produce a similar caliber of pizza to a $10,000+ Neapolitan oven.

Even a pile of bricks is going to take a considerable amount of time and money to put together.  If you're going to invest that much time and money, you might as well put in a bit more and end up with an oven that can make truly wonderful pizza and that lasts more than year.

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2012, 10:01:11 AM »
Even a pile of bricks is going to take a considerable amount of time and money to put together.  If you're going to invest that much time and money, you might as well put in a bit more and end up with an oven that can make truly wonderful pizza and that lasts more than year.

Absolutely agree. You wouldn't waste other people's time, so don't waste your own time.
I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

Offline Woodfiredovenpizzero

• Nothing like a WFO Pizza in the backyard!
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2012, 11:47:22 PM »
I purchased my WFO from fornoclassico.com. So far I'm happy with the products it produces, not the best looking pies in this forum but good tasting. To protect the oven from the elements I just put a tarp over it.

Good luck with your search.

Edgar

Offline adios pantalones

« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2012, 12:56:10 PM »
I'm thinking a pair of fire tiles for the top, medium duties for the hearth and sides. Get a long lintel brick (refractory supply place for fire tile and lintel) for over the door. Use some M board or kaowool for insulation (watch out for inhalation hazard). (my refractory guys/candy store: http://www.cutteratlantic.com/products.html - but find some local to you, shipping will kill ya on this stuff)

It will weigh... as much as the bricks- but it should set up/break down really fast, and would be easy to reconfigure until you have a design that works well.
In all honesty- I am guessing that you could set one up in under an hour the first time.

Offline adios pantalones

« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2012, 01:04:03 PM »
fire brick is difficult for me to find around here,  damn!!!  northern Minnesota

Smith-Sharpe is down in the Twin Cities area, unfortunately. There's a lot of potters down there as well at the University of Minnesota (dubbed "Mingeisota")

Call around masonry supply and brick suppliers- someone will have medium duties, as they are used in fireplaces