Author Topic: Superpeel (anyone have experience - positive or negative)  (Read 4134 times)

Offline bfguilford

• Lifetime Member
Superpeel (anyone have experience - positive or negative)
« on: June 10, 2012, 08:32:38 PM »
I'm looking at asking for a Superpeel for a Father's Day present, and would appreciate feedback from people who have used one - positive or negative feedback. I would prefer not to have this thread turn into a semolina/cornmeal/shake the wooden peel conversation.

I have searched for other threads on this topic, and there's not much feedback from actual users. Maybe this is like using training wheels on a bike for this crowd.  ;)

Thanks for understanding.

Barry
Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
Re: Superpeel (anyone have experience - positive or negative)
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2012, 08:39:33 PM »
Barry,

I have been using the Superpeel for several years, at least once per week. I use it for loading breads onto the stone in my kitchen oven. I tried to use it once for loading a pizza into my WFO and the cloth conveyor ignited.  :o

I've been using the Expander kit for a few years.

So I really like it for bread baking. I don't use it for pizza even when baking in the kitchen oven on a stone or steel plate.

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2012, 08:47:43 PM »
They work great, you just gotta get used to how it works, shouldn't take to long though. This was my first time loading and unloading, it's pretty easy. The only thing is trying to get it to come off in a circle but thats not really that big of an issue. http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&feature=fvwp&list=UU8RIlRXtRDpKmErfVVyTDkw&v=zyFYs1Vq5HI

Offline bfguilford

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2012, 09:17:26 PM »
Thanks for the quick replies.

Bill: Superpeel flambe... that must have been a nasty little surprise. I plan on using it for my sub-525 degree home oven for both pizza and bread baking... sounds like it would work well.

BrickStoneOven: I'm planning on ordering the extension as well. With my 12x20 kiln shelf, I start off with oblong pies... on purpose (that's my story and I'm sticking to it).
Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2012, 09:33:17 PM »
Barry,

I have been using the Superpeel for several years, at least once per week. I use it for loading breads onto the stone in my kitchen oven. I tried to use it once for loading a pizza into my WFO and the cloth conveyor ignited.  :o

I've been using the Expander kit for a few years.

So I really like it for bread baking. I don't use it for pizza even when baking in the kitchen oven on a stone or steel plate.

Wow, that would have been an instant youtube hit!  Carefully loading the dough, dressing it, carrying it to the WFO with "Chariots of Fire" playing softly, winding up at the pitchers mound....  and then, INFERNO!!!! Augghh! Panic!  Beat the flaming shizam on the ground!
I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2012, 09:38:47 PM »
pizzanner: :-D

Actually, I shoot a lot of video of my pizza making and have enough clips of blunders of all kinds that I could probably put together a blooper reel. There would be a lot of bleeping.

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2012, 09:57:13 PM »
It would be hilarious!  In a good way, of course. I mean that very respectfully.    ;D

Seriously, how is it that life's greatest comedies always happen off-camera?
I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2012, 12:28:37 AM »
Thanks for the quick replies.

Bill: Superpeel flambe... that must have been a nasty little surprise. I plan on using it for my sub-525 degree home oven for both pizza and bread baking... sounds like it would work well.

BrickStoneOven: I'm planning on ordering the extension as well. With my 12x20 kiln shelf, I start off with oblong pies... on purpose (that's my story and I'm sticking to it).
You should call Gary(owner) at SuperPeel and see if he has any of the bigger ones left. I remember him saying he was going to be selling them sooner or later but I don't know if he has yet. He did say he was going to be making a few though and I think there is someone else on here that got another one of the 20x20 or 18x18 peels. Try giving him a call, he's a super nice guy, really easy to talk to.

Offline Tatoosh

• Munch Munch Munch
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2012, 05:54:17 AM »
Wow, I am so glad I read this thread!  I have one of those on my "to get" list for my C&WFO Weber pizza project.  While your WFO was probably substantially higher than my Weber will get with a charcoal and wood fire, I should hit 600F on the stone or better and possibly 700F plus has been reported by some folks.   I have a 21 inch D shaped stone I got specifically for doing larger pizzas.  I had thought the superpeel would be the solution to large pizzas with high hydration doughs.  But this thread tells me I need to rethink that approach.   
Banana Ketchup Is Not Pizza Sauce - Weber 22.5 OTG, Smokenator 1000, Kettle Pizza Insert, White Mountain 6qt Elec, Cuisinart ICE-20 1.5qt, FMS 1500D sous vide - Mabuhay Pizza!

Offline bfguilford

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2012, 09:08:04 AM »
Thanks BrickStoneOven. I'll give Gary a call.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2012, 09:26:54 AM »
Barry,

We have members who aren't currently active members but who have posted in the past on the SuperPeel. Art is one such member who comes to mind, and I know that chickenparm, who is a fairly active member, uses a SuperPeel. If you use the forum's main search engine with SuperPeel and Super Peel as search terms, you will get a total of eight pages of hits. If you use Art's or chickenparm's names as users, you should find most of their posts on the subject. You can also use the forum's Google search engine for more possible hits.

Peter

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2012, 12:37:12 PM »
Wow, I am so glad I read this thread!  I have one of those on my "to get" list for my C&WFO Weber pizza project.  While your WFO was probably substantially higher than my Weber will get with a charcoal and wood fire, I should hit 600F on the stone or better and possibly 700F plus has been reported by some folks.   I have a 21 inch D shaped stone I got specifically for doing larger pizzas.  I had thought the superpeel would be the solution to large pizzas with high hydration doughs.  But this thread tells me I need to rethink that approach.   

If you get one, I highly doubt it will catch fire like Bill's did. Your heat source is under the stone and wont be reaching the air temps and wont have the big coal bed with a leaping fire on the side. I'm not saying it can't catch fire because anything is possible but the likelihood that it would is miniscule.

Offline Don K

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2012, 02:20:43 PM »
I have a Superpeel and it definitely works as advertised. I'm pretty good at launching with a regular wooden peel so I don't always use the SP, but I still do use it on occasion for pies with a lot of toppings or expensive toppings such as lobster. Earlier this year I made a lobster and shrimp pizza and then dumped it down the back of my oven when I was launching it. And this was with the Superpeel in the closet (everybody say 'duh').

My wife has used it for pastries too.

A couple of tips when using the Superpeel that I have learned from experience:
  • For high-hydration doughs you have to use a little flour or the dough will stick to the fabric. You probably don't need quite as much flour as you would normally use with a regular peel, but you still need some.
  • Resist the temptation to push or pull on the bar that's on the fabric belt. All of your pushing and pulling should be on the peel's handle and you should hold the bar stationary.

Unless you have a real hot oven like a WFO, I don't think that you'll have any trouble with the fabric burning. One thing that you can do when launching with the SP is to actually not even touch the stone at all. You can actually hold it so that the end of the SP hovers slightly above the stone and then slowly pull the handle back and the pie will gently drop onto the stone. It's pretty easy once you get the hang of it.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 03:37:10 PM by Colonel_Klink »
The member formerly known as Colonel_Klink

Offline pizza dr

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2012, 03:19:16 PM »
I also use the super peel.  It really comes in handy when you have a high hydration dough that you want to get off the counter without tearing it.  

The tips given above by Don are spot on.  I lock my left elbow so that I won't use that arm to push/pull.  Use only your right arm for that ( the hand holding the handle).  

Overall good purchase.

Scot

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2012, 04:28:27 PM »
It's great if you want to make a pizza almost the same size as the stone you are using. If not using a Super Peel it will be near impossible to get a 16" pizza on a 16" stone. But with a little learning it can be possible with a Super Peel.

Offline bfguilford

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2012, 06:05:22 PM »
Thanks, Don and Scot (I assume you're right handed). I'm waiting for a call back from Gary at Superpeel.

Offline Pizza Meister

• Now that's a pizza!
    • superpeel
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2012, 07:46:36 AM »
Hi Barry,

I am away for a couple days. Top that off with Verizon data issues. Grrr!  Please try me on my Cell - 5182819483. I can answer any questions you have.

Gary
"Infringement is the "sinisterest" form of flattery"

Offline Riprazor

« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2012, 02:31:24 PM »
Hi Barry,

I am away for a couple days. Top that off with Verizon data issues. Grrr!  Please try me on my Cell - 5182819483. I can answer any questions you have.

Gary

Just placed my order...if you are the shipping department too, please come back soon!

Riprazor/Barry

Offline Fingerstyle

« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2012, 04:37:20 PM »
+1 Superpeel fan. Been using mine for years to transfer from counter, and top dress at leisure (no sticking worries) then, finally just before launching, offloading to a wood peel, then into the oven. I have also improvised one (simple conveyor belt style) with a cookie sheet and a dish towel when making pizza at friends
"... I say we ride some gravity." - Patrick Rizzo

Offline bfguilford

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2012, 11:07:14 PM »
Fingerstyle: I'm wondering why you transfer to a wooden peel before launching.

pizzapan