Author Topic: Superpeel (anyone have experience - positive or negative)  (Read 3593 times)

Offline Tatoosh

• Munch Munch Munch
Re: Superpeel (anyone have experience - positive or negative)
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2012, 11:38:52 PM »
Well, I see that I should consider putting the peel back on.  When we have played with some high hydration doughs that require it, I won't be quite so worried as I was after reading about Super Peel Flambe'.  I really like the concept.  For our current dough, a pretty standard emergency dough, a flour burnished peel works quite well.  My brother-in-law has been quite happy to have for launching pizza into the kitchen oven and retrieving them.  But the Super Peel looks like the answer to the very wet dough.  Since my wife has now gotten into bread and pie baking, I'm hoping it will be handy for her too, so it won't fall directly into the "my gadgets" category of expenditure
Banana Ketchup Is Not Pizza Sauce - Weber 22.5 OTG, Smokenator 1000, Kettle Pizza Insert, White Mountain 6qt Elec, Cuisinart ICE-20 1.5qt, FMS 1500D sous vide - Mabuhay Pizza!

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2012, 02:36:24 AM »
Barry,

I really enjoy the SuperPeels I have.I have 2 of them,and one of them is a very large 20" inch peel.

Often,I will open my dough on the counter,pick up to shape and stretch,then lay it right on top of my Superpeel.Add sauce,toppings/cheese and into the oven it goes.The Super peel has never let me down.

I have a small kitchen with limited counter space,and this helps alot to transfer the pies or breads around without needing extra space.

Also,Gary is a man of his word.He has given myself and others the best customer service one could ask for,and makes sure we are happy with the products he sell.They are all top notch,excellent quality.

It truly is a great feeling that anytime I make a pizza and launch it with a superpeel,I know its not going to get stuck or turn into a firey calzone!
 :-D
-Bill

Offline bfguilford

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2012, 11:43:51 AM »
Thanks everyone. I had a great conversation with Gary, and ended up ordering a 20x20 inch Superpeel (he doesn't advertise these, but said he had around 10 in stock). I'll post my impressions after I get to use it (hopefully this weekend).

Barry
Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Offline pizza dr

« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2012, 11:49:58 AM »
Barry

I also place my pizza on a  perforated aluminum peel (from the super peel) , then launch into WFO.  I like my pies towards the back of the oven (hottest area) and I can't reach it with the super peel. You could easily place the pie into a conventional oven with the super peel.  

If I have another person helping me then I just slide the pie right onto the aluminum peel ( while they are holding it), but I just can't do it by myself yet.  So the super peel essentially transfers the dressed pizza from my counter top to the aluminum peel.  It then gets launched immediately before it sticks.  

This system is used only when I have a sticky wet dough that I'm working with ( which is most of the time it seems  :-[).  

Scot

Offline Fingerstyle

« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2012, 11:53:28 AM »
I use my LBE most of the time (combustion hazard). When I use my indoor oven I load with the wood peel mainly to keep the cloth from picking up carbon from my stones. I use the wood peel to spin anyway so no big deal.  :chef:

Fingerstyle: I'm wondering why you transfer to a wooden peel before launching.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 11:56:14 AM by Fingerstyle »
"... I say we ride some gravity." - Patrick Rizzo http://vimeo.com/1654340

Offline Pizza Meister

• Now that's a pizza!
    • superpeel
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2012, 08:44:29 AM »
Re wood fired oven use of the Super Peel, we have many users who do just fine. Tricks to success are, don't fully insert into oven at 1100 F (ignition of cloth likely). Rather, set just inside oven opening and move back after dough bottom sets up - not very long - using longer peel.  Also, just watch out for singing arm hairs.

There will be a specifically wfo version soon.  I'll let you know.

PM (Gary)
"Infringement is the "sinisterest" form of flattery"

Offline bfguilford

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2012, 11:24:49 PM »
I used my new Superpeel tonight to launch 2 pies. It was a bit of an adventure with a very high hydration JerryMac dough. No problems getting them on the Superpeel, but I misjudged the width of the pies (I have a 20x12 kiln shelf, so I do oblong pies) and ended up with an inch of each of the pies hanging over the edge of the stone (slow learner  :-[). Quick work with a spatula saved both of the pies. It did flatten the shape on the bottom edge in the picture.

Definitely an improvement of my old way when I used pseudo-parchment paper for the first 3 minutes, and then removed that for the rest of the bake (losing too much heat opening the door of my rather wimpy 525 degree oven).

Thanks all, especially Gary for creating the Superpeel.

Barry
Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Offline Riprazor

« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2012, 04:31:28 PM »
After using the superpeel for a few weeks as well as the extension kit, I have to say, I really love this thing!  My stone is 16 inches and getting the pizza perfectly placed is now incredibly simple.  Thanks for a great invention Gary.

(The other Barry)