Author Topic: Duck prosciutto  (Read 669 times)

Offline chasenpse

• Supporting Member
    • Battle Hill Media
Duck prosciutto
« on: October 06, 2013, 02:59:51 PM »
I decided to go to fairway market in Stamford today to pick up some groceries, and while I was waiting at the deli counter I saw something I had never seen before - duck prosciutto. At a whopping $37.96/lb I asked only for couple of slices and the woman working happily did so, and she even gave me a slice to try. Amazing stuff.

Being the geek that I am I promptly drove home and took these photos to share with you all. Has anyone dared put this delicious bird on their pies before? I'm tempted to try but I'm concerned about overpowering the flavor and having it go to waste, something this nice deserves better than that  ;D
If Tetris has taught me anything, itís that errors pile up and accomplishments disappear.

Online TXCraig1

Re: Duck prosciutto
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2013, 04:47:15 PM »
I decided to go to fairway market in Stamford today to pick up some groceries, and while I was waiting at the deli counter I saw something I had never seen before - duck prosciutto. At a whopping $37.96/lb I asked only for couple of slices and the woman working happily did so, and she even gave me a slice to try. Amazing stuff.

Being the geek that I am I promptly drove home and took these photos to share with you all. Has anyone dared put this delicious bird on their pies before? I'm tempted to try but I'm concerned about overpowering the flavor and having it go to waste, something this nice deserves better than that  ;D

As thin as that is, I think you're right. It would be very easy to overpower. To me, it's screaming for sub a 90-second NP - added post bake for sure.  If I was going to use it on a pie, I'd go simple - no red sauce, no heavy cheese rather a light hand of parmigiano-reggiano, evoo, fresh basil, a bit of sea salt, and duck prosciutto post bake. I'd serve the pie with a side of steamed asparagus and a poached egg.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2013, 05:02:43 PM »
I'm imagining thin potato slices (mandolin sliced) previously sauteed in butter, salted and with fresh ground black pepper,  a light scattering of Fontina, evoo, and some fresh, chopped thyme. The cured duck breast gets laid on post bake  :drool:
Il miglior fabbro

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2013, 06:37:13 PM »
Has anyone dared put this delicious bird on their pies before? I'm tempted to try but I'm concerned about overpowering the flavor and having it go to waste, something this nice deserves better than that  ;D

I enjoy curing (and smoking) duck breast and using it as a pizza topping. I was working on a little video on this, but will probably not finish it soon due to other priorities. Here is a rough cut:

<a href="http://youtu.be/Y6-nJzsPqoE" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://youtu.be/Y6-nJzsPqoE</a>

The duck, cut thicker than yours, is placed on the pizza before baking. The fat melts a little, but the meat remains rare and silky.

Offline chasenpse

• Supporting Member
    • Battle Hill Media
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2013, 12:53:08 PM »
Great video Bill, loved seeing the pie bubble up in your oven.

I decided to make a light pesto pie but I ended up putting too much on, the flavor was there but unless you got a good piece of the duck prosciutto it was very subtle. I added the slices during the last 30 seconds of my bake and it they experienced significant shrinkage, definitely going to add it post bake for the next time and probably go a little thicker on the cut.
If Tetris has taught me anything, itís that errors pile up and accomplishments disappear.

Offline gabaghool

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2014, 07:19:35 PM »
As thin as that is, I think you're right. It would be very easy to overpower. To me, it's screaming for sub a 90-second NP - added post bake for sure.  If I was going to use it on a pie, I'd go simple - no red sauce, no heavy cheese rather a light hand of parmigiano-reggiano, evoo, fresh basil, a bit of sea salt, and duck prosciutto post bake. I'd serve the pie with a side of steamed asparagus and a poached egg.

Craig.....a professional career is CLEARLY in your future........

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2014, 09:41:16 PM »
Craig.....a professional career is CLEARLY in your future........

Can you explain that to my wife. She is the one having difficulties with the idea.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline gabaghool

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2014, 10:52:43 AM »
Oh yeah......the wife.......that will change once you hit it big.......

Online scott123

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2014, 12:31:40 PM »
Oh yeah......the wife.......that will change once you hit it big.......

I don't know the specifics of Craig's prior career(s), but I think it's pretty safe to assume that he's already hit it big- most likely in more than one industry.

Offline gabaghool

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2014, 01:53:37 PM »
Yeah scott I agree
COnsidering his business background, his culinary skills....its hard to imagine anything he does goin south.