Author Topic: Old Stone Oven stones  (Read 1373 times)

Offline anton-luigi

Old Stone Oven stones
« on: June 17, 2012, 11:16:38 AM »
Anyone used,  or use an "Old Stone Oven" stone?  I bought a 14x16 inch rectangle at a local restaurant supply store,  it is approximately 1/2 inch thick and works fantastic.  I had a peel mishap early in my pizza making career and left a huge wet mess on the hot stone.  Went at it with a sheet of 100 grit sandpaper and it cleaned up nicely,  no problems with sticking.  nice stone.

Offline dmcavanagh

Re: Old Stone Oven stones
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2012, 12:18:43 PM »
"Old Stone Oven" is considered one of the best. I'm pretty sure my "Williams-Sonoma" stone is actually made for them by Old Stone, but don't quote me on that.

Offline anton-luigi

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2012, 12:22:41 PM »
nice,  I hate to tell the story as some people might frown upon this,  but.  When I went to the store to buy this stone,  it was marked 49.95.  The tag was a bit difficult to read,  and the clerk rang it up as 19.95.  Now at that point,  I should have said,  no thats wrong,  but against my better judgement I let it pass. 

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 08:54:26 AM »
You got a real bargain, call it a steal!

Offline Ev

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2012, 10:12:19 AM »
Nice stones. I have two myself. FYI, if you leave it in the oven on the clean cycle, it will come out looking brand new. I'd try to avoid scratching it with sand paper.

Offline Tory

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2012, 10:22:49 AM »
Yeah, I have an Old Stone pizza stone. I'm very happy with it. It works well and is pretty easy to clean. I tend to also use VERY HOT tap water to clean it when there's been an accident.

I'm very satisfied with mine, which I've been using for almost four years. They are a good stone, and I'd recommend them.

To those of you thinking of buying one, do NOT buy from Amazon. There were complaints that they do not pack the stone well and it breaks in transit.
I called Amazon about this issue (before buying one) and they assured me the problem had been resolved. So I ordered one through them, and apparently the packing issue
wasn't as 'resolved' as they'd like to think. It arrived to my home broken in several pieces. I called Amazon about this and one rep actually argued with me that it must have
been my fault that it broke. I called back and talked with another rep who instructed me to return it.

I ended up sending it back, getting a refund and ordering from somewhere more local.

The moral of the story, if you can get one of these stones locally, do so. If you have to order it, don't order from Amazon.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 10:32:58 AM by Tory »