Author Topic: Cateri Pizza Knives  (Read 7065 times)

Offline R2-Bayou

Cateri Pizza Knives
« on: June 18, 2012, 07:11:53 PM »
The current issue of La Cucina Italiana Magazine highlights Cateri Pizza Knives on page 13. They look pretty sweet and I'd love to pick a dozen up, but the web link is in Italian and I'm pretty sure its a wholesaler http://www.simahotellerie.it/. I tried navigating it with Google Translator, but it wasn't so smooth. I did a quick search to see if there were any domestic retailers, but struck out. Anybody have any review on these or where to order?

Thanks!
"Wretched excess is just barely enough."

Offline R2-Bayou

Re: Cateri Pizza Knives
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2012, 07:23:42 PM »
Looks like the manufacturer is Pintinox. Its their "exclusive" seafood and pizza knife.

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 09:25:55 PM »
I don't see the point... ???  It's just a serrated knife.  Spend money on cooler things.
I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 11:16:17 PM »
You could buy really nice steak knives and save the trouble, probably not the money though. Theres no point in having them though unless you have planning to have a pizzeria and serve them uncut.

Offline R2-Bayou

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2012, 02:07:16 AM »
What can I say, I'm a sucker for pizza gear! Yeah, I have a fancy set of Wüsthof steak knives. They cut steak awesome, but don't cut whole neapolitans so well.. I throw big pizza parties here, and was looking for some cool Italian knives to add to the plates I just got.. You're right though, I could probably find some inexpensive, multipurpose serrated ones that do the trick..

Offline Riprazor

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2012, 11:51:00 AM »
I don't see the point... ???  It's just a serrated knife.  Spend money on cooler things.

What he said!

Offline R2-Bayou

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2012, 03:38:43 PM »
I've got the  Wüsthof steak knives shown below. Like I said, they cut steak awesome, but I'm looking for a stylish serrated knife for cutting whole neapolitans. If I wanted to go the econo route, I found these "stek" knives at Ikea for $20/dozen. Not bad, but the Cateri would be €24/dozen, about $30. If I could find a domestic retailer that is. 

Offline Jet_deck

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2012, 05:35:25 PM »
Get the cool Italian knives.  The rake angle would be perfect.
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2012, 11:08:23 PM »
Haha I have those exact same Wusthof knives, they are awesome.

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2012, 11:13:00 PM »
If you buy low quality knifes, especially serrated, you are throwing money away.  Non-serrated knifes can be sharpened by a skilled monkey, but forget trying to hone crap serrated.

Offline jeff v

• I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
    • Pizzeria Valentino
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2012, 11:32:56 PM »
Get the cool Italian knives.  The rake angle would be perfect.

+1

I've seen these in the US, so I would think some restaurant supply place have them. Have you checked where you would buy plates, oilieras (sp?) etc?
Back to being a civilian pizza maker only.

Offline Tatoosh

• Munch Munch Munch
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2012, 12:39:27 AM »
I love the pizza knives personally.  Necessary?  No.  But if we lived by necessity alone, we wouldn't have cave paintings or the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel.  Or Deep Dish versus Cracker.  The angle of the knives are unique and quite possibly a pleasure to both see and use. 
Banana Ketchup Is Not Pizza Sauce - Weber 22.5 OTG, Smokenator 1000, Kettle Pizza Insert, White Mountain 6qt Elec, Cuisinart ICE-20 1.5qt, FMS 1500D sous vide - Mabuhay Pizza!

Offline R2-Bayou

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2012, 05:17:18 PM »
If you buy low quality knifes, especially serrated, you are throwing money away.  Non-serrated knifes can be sharpened by a skilled monkey, but forget trying to hone crap serrated.

Agreed, you get what you pay for. The trick is cutting bread with non-serrated knives. We're essentially cutting bread, and one of the first rules I was taught in meats class was not to cut bread with our boning knives. I just bought a salumi knife in Italy that says right on the sheath, "non tagliare pane", or don't cut bread. Non-serrated knives just don't cut bread efficiently, and it beats up the blade.

So since I don't have serrated steak knives, I'm looking for cool serrated knives for pizza parties. Love to get my hands on these Cateri's, but still no luck. Keep me posted if any finds a domestic retailer!

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2012, 05:31:21 PM »
I'd send a PMs to members "thezaman" and "Frankie G"

If anyone knows how to get them, Larry or Frankie will.

Craig
Pizza is not bread.

Offline R2-Bayou

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2012, 05:36:45 PM »
Good idea Craig. PMs sent...

Here's the original link: http://www.simahotellerie.it/coltello-pizza-inox-cateri.html

Offline Jet_deck

« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2012, 05:39:03 PM »
One of our italian speaking members could send them an email also.  Larry is one of them, iirc.  Also, Matthew from Canada.
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2012, 05:56:15 PM »
I have this dinnerware set. The knives are serrated, and quite sharp.  The handles are whaletail shaped, and fit nicely in the palm for leverage.  I've never tried cutting pizza with them, but they do a great job with everything else - can't see them being unable to cut a pie.

http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/yamazaki-gone-fishin-flatware-collection?ID=303924

I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

Offline KDTReynolds

« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2012, 12:00:37 AM »
According to their website, you must place  minimum 30€ order (thus, 15 knives). Shipping rates will be calculated and emailed to the customer within 36 hours of placing your order. Maximum shipping rate *should* be 30€, according to what is posted. Shipping will be payable COD.

If I can help with any other translations, let me know.

Offline R2-Bayou

« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2012, 01:43:30 PM »
I ate at Via Tribunali in Portland last night and they had these.. Yup, still want them. Just sent Nicolas a request at Giochi di Pizza to see if he could source some..

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2012, 01:57:54 PM »
Here is an interesting alternative available in the US, if not a bit gaudy:

http://www2.knifecenter.com/item/CDPIZZAO/PIZZA-Knives-from-Claude-Dozorme-in-France-with-Orange-Celluloid-Handle

John