Author Topic: Sorrento Authentic Italian Taste Whole milk Mozzarella  (Read 2772 times)

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
Sorrento Authentic Italian Taste Whole milk Mozzarella
« on: June 19, 2012, 12:03:11 AM »
Made a pizza this weekend with Sorrento Authentic Italian Taste Whole milk Mozzarella. I really enjoyed the cheese. i thought it had a good flavor and baked up very nice in my home oven. i cooked the pizza at 425 for 15 minutes in my home oven that has a traditional heating element on the bottom, using a pizza screen. I have not tried this cheese in a wood fire oven or an oven that can reach 600 degrees. When i sliced the cheese and took a bite of it, the cheese tasted good, but somehow got a little dry/gritty as I chewed it. Perhaps to be an Italian style cheese, it has some Parmesan cheese blended into it. I am not complaining, but it is not the same as a straight whole milk Mozzarella cheese. Again, i enjoyed the flavor and the good melt with browning on my pizza. I would recommend this cheese!!!!!
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 12:06:35 AM by TomN »

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
Re: Sorrento Authentic Italian Taste Whole milk Mozzarella
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2012, 12:04:11 AM »
A few photos of the finished product.

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2012, 12:05:17 AM »
My Absolute Favorite of the Sorrento Cheese family and it is available in my favorite warehouse, Costco Business Center.

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2012, 12:09:32 AM »
A closer look at the label, so there is no confusion between the two.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 12:11:03 AM by TomN »

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2012, 10:15:20 PM »
Yes, Sorrento makes some good cheese... what is it that you prefer in the "gold"? Your pie looks great Tom, do you ever cook with a stone in your oven? Your sauce looks interesting to me...mind telling me a 'lil about it?  Thanks.

Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2012, 01:34:36 AM »
Yes, Sorrento makes some good cheese... what is it that you prefer in the "gold"? Your pie looks great Tom, do you ever cook with a stone in your oven? Your sauce looks interesting to me...mind telling me a 'lil about it?  Thanks.

Bob

Hi Bob,

There are a several Pizzerias in my area that use the Sorrento Gold Whole Milk Danish Mozzarella and when I eat their pizza, there is a noticeable difference in the taste of the pizza. This is not to say that I don't enjoy Pizzerias that use Grande 50/50 or Grande Whole Milk Mozzarella either, because I do. However, the Sorrento Gold has a creamy texture and a unique flavor that brings me back to it. Especially when I make pizza at home and want that same great flavor. Also, everyone who tries my pizza with the Sorrento Gold has always loved the pizza. (A noticeable difference)

Sorrento describes it as "The flavor is clean and has a mild dairy bite."

http://www.lactalisfs.com/cheese/?typeId=1080

As for my sauce, I am a big fan of Pizzaiolo by Stanislaus Foods. I love the taste and I love how EASY it is to just open the can and pour it right on my pizza.  I do try different recipes for sauce, but it is hard to beat the Pizzaiolo in my opinion. Since nearly every Pizzeria (at least in my part of the country) uses some kind of Stanislaus Foods sauces, whether it is 7/11, Full Red, or Saporito, etc...,why not try what they consider a complete pizza sauce recipe.  I think that Stanislaus Foods has done a good job on perfecting what is considered to be "Authentico Pizza Sauce". Pizzaiolo. (I am sure there are those that disagree with me)

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11739414&search=pizzaiolo&topnav=bdoff&Mo=0&cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&lang=en-US&Browse=1&N=5000045&whse=BD_767&Dx=mode%20matchallpartial&Ntk=Text_Search&Dr=P_CatalogName:BD_767&Ne=4000000&D=pizzaiolo&Ntt=pizzaiolo&No=0&Nty=1&Nr=P_CatalogName:BD_767&Ntx=mode%20matchallpartial

As for the Pizza Stone: I have one, but my home oven only has a bottom heating element. So, a pizza screen works the best for me. (at 425 for 15 minutes)  If things were reversed (the heating element only on top), then i would use a stone all the time.

Thanks for the comment.

Tom
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 02:33:35 AM by TomN »

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2012, 07:56:06 AM »
TomN

There's no parmesan blended into that cheese, "authentic Italian taste" is just a slogan used on the packaging. I buy that exact same cheese all the time from a local restaurant supplier in 5# blocks. It's straight whole milk, low moisture aged mozzarella.

Offline atom

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2012, 09:05:06 AM »
After trying Great Value (don't know what I was thinking, people on the forum said it was ok), then Polly-O I finally tried Sorrento which I had automatically written off because I have always seen it in the grocery store and considered it common. The Polly-O gave me the oil I wanted but turned into a dense chewy rubber when I cooked it! Yuck! The Sorrento however turns creamy for me, it has a great texture! I haven't got the gritty results like you have, but it could be differences in the oven. The Sorrento has the right texture, but not enough flavor IMO. I wish I could come across that Danish variety you have posted, I would LOVE to try it.

One time I came across a "tube sausage" shaped stick of Bel Giosso provolone and I mixed that with my Sorrento being 1/3 Provolone and 2/3 Mozz. That was the best blend I have ever had! The provolone immediately became unavailable anywhere I could find and their fancier provolone on a rope did not give the same flavor. If someone has a good provolone I reccomend it to blend with the Sorrento.

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2012, 04:09:35 PM »
After trying Great Value (don't know what I was thinking, people on the forum said it was ok), then Polly-O I finally tried Sorrento which I had automatically written off because I have always seen it in the grocery store and considered it common. The Polly-O gave me the oil I wanted but turned into a dense chewy rubber when I cooked it! Yuck! The Sorrento however turns creamy for me, it has a great texture! I haven't got the gritty results like you have, but it could be differences in the oven. The Sorrento has the right texture, but not enough flavor IMO. I wish I could come across that Danish variety you have posted, I would LOVE to try it.

One time I came across a "tube sausage" shaped stick of Bel Giosso provolone and I mixed that with my Sorrento being 1/3 Provolone and 2/3 Mozz. That was the best blend I have ever had! The provolone immediately became unavailable anywhere I could find and their fancier provolone on a rope did not give the same flavor. If someone has a good provolone I reccomend it to blend with the Sorrento.

Hi Adam,

I only meant to say that i got a gritty result when i ate the cheese uncooked. As for the melt, it was great tasting and browned up very nice. Also, i agree with you about adding provolone cheese. It does add to the flavor. As for the Sorrento Gold Whole Milk Danish Mozzarella (which needs nothing added to it), if there is a cheese store or a specialty Deli near you, I bet that they could special order it for you. It might cost a little more, but I think it is worth it.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 04:22:23 PM by TomN »

pizzapan