Author Topic: bufala mozzarella  (Read 1361 times)

Offline San Jose Dale

bufala mozzarella
« on: June 20, 2012, 08:00:34 PM »
I occasionally buy some really good buffala moz. but usually I end up with a big soggy watery mess on my pizza. Is there some technique that folks here use to stop that from happening? I usually make Neapolitan style in a WFO, so temps are high and cooking time is short.

Thanks,

Dale

Offline TXCraig1

Re: bufala mozzarella
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 08:06:40 PM »
Tear it up / cut it upinto the size you use to top your pies, and put it on paper towels - I like two layers of paper towels (OK to layer paper towels, cheese, paper towels, cheese, paper towel,...), cover with a paper towel, and put it in the fridge for 6 hours or so. Maybe as much as 8 if it is really wet. This takes care of it for me.

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2012, 09:21:38 PM »
Yup.

I cut the balls in half, put the cut side down on a double later of paper towels, put a double layer of paper towels on top and then put a light weight book on top. Let sit for half an hour or so and you are mostly good to go.

The paper towels should be soaked -k
"It's Baltimore, gentlemen, the gods will not save you." --Burrell

Offline JimmyG

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2012, 09:57:08 PM »
The only thing I would add to what Craig and Kelly mentioned, is to check the expatriation date on the package. In my experience, fresh mozzarella cheeses become soggy the closer they are to the expatriation date.
Jim
Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2012, 10:08:34 PM »
The only thing I would add to what Craig and Kelly mentioned, is to check the expatriation date on the package. In my experience, fresh mozzarella cheeses become soggy the closer they are to the expatriation date.
Jim

+1

If it doesn't have at least 10 days of life left, pass it up. It's not worth the frustration and expense of having it turn to ricotta on your pie.

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2012, 10:54:58 PM »
Is this the same cheese that was recently discussed here as being past it's "prime" after only a few days? Is there a low moisture Buffala available here in the States?
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2012, 06:24:17 AM »
Is this the same cheese that was recently discussed here as being past it's "prime" after only a few days? Is there a low moisture Buffala available here in the States?

There is low moisture available in the US. It tastes nothing like the fresh version from Italy:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=12755.0

John

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2012, 10:52:10 AM »
 Their site says the cut "wedges" are the drier of the 2 buffala products they offer yet in the ordering section they only list the very expensive "pulled balls"....hmmm. Oh well, even if you didn't receive the drier version I don't think it would matter as you said you were not impressed with their buffala. Thanks dellavecchia.

Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline San Jose Dale

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2012, 11:02:36 AM »
thanks for the tips, I'll be firing up the oven next week and will give this a try.

Dale